Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 A24 prop options?

gtoddh

I’m looking to purchase a new ‘20 A24.  My understanding is that from 2018 on the A24 comes with a 17” prop.  The build sheet for this boat shows the prop is a 16.5 x 14 3537.  Should I be at all concerned about this and should I request the dealer get a 17” prop instead? TIA

It's at least worth having a conversation with your dealer, if you haven't already. Seems like a legit question/concern and maybe they have good reasons for using a different prop. I'd also consider looking at other dealer websites in your region (nearby states with similar altitudes and A24 setups) and see what prop they are equipping those boats with.

Here's another potentially helpful guide to look at for reference. Nothing here if the A24 you are looking to purchase has the M5Di but plenty if you are looking for one with the M6. https://www.wakemakers.com/axis-wakeboard-boat-propellers

Edited by formerathlete

We just purchase a 2020 A24. It has the M5 and 17x14. We are installing the 18x13.5 prop to get more holes shot. I will let you know how it works. 

Thanks for the response.  I spoke briefly today with the dealer about this.  They said they simply order the High Altitude/Torque..  What's interesting about that is I have a friend with a new A24 from the same dealer optioned the same with the High Altitude/Torque prop and theirs came with the 17" prop.  I think I might push for the dealer to swap out for the 17".

ahopkins22LSV

Here’s a bit to chew on... you can go too big on a prop and it will actually deal more dog-ish if the engine doesn’t have enough grunt to spin it. I’d try the factory torque prop and see how that works before pushing the dealer to swap it. They didn’t just pick that prop for the heck of it. Maybe ask if it’s okay to exchange after a demo or certain period of time if it’s not working. 

53 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Here’s a bit to chew on... you can go too big on a prop and it will actually deal more dog-ish if the engine doesn’t have enough grunt to spin it. I’d try the factory torque prop and see how that works before pushing the dealer to swap it. They didn’t just pick that prop for the heck of it. Maybe ask if it’s okay to exchange after a demo or certain period of time if it’s not working. 

I agree with this idea.  My issue is that 2 different A24s with M5 engines ordered with the "factory torque prop" showed up with different props.  The boat I'm looking at has the 3537 (16.5x14) and my friend's A24 he just bought came with the 2755 (17x14).  I expect I'll go with the 3537 at least to start since the dealership likely wouldn't be able to get a different prop in right away.  The dealership does have another A24 in their inventory.  That boat has the PCM 450 engine though, rather than the M5.  I may ask them what prop is on that boat just for comparison.

Edited by gtoddh
ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, gtoddh said:

I agree with this idea.  My issue is that 2 different A24s with M5 engines ordered with the "factory torque prop" showed up with different props.  The boat I'm looking at has the 3537 (16.5x14) and my friend's A24 he just bought came with the 2755 (17x14).  I expect I'll go with the 3537 at least to start since the dealership likely wouldn't be able to get a different prop in right away.  The dealership does have another A24 in their inventory.  That boat has the PCM 450 engine though, rather than the M5.  I may ask them what prop is on that boat just for comparison.

The pcm probably has a different prop. Our 2019 vtx had the 409 pcm with the 1:50:1 transmission and came with the OJ 951 prop, our 2020 has the M5, 1:50:1 transmission and has the OJ 950 prop. Both times we selected the standard prop. They are constantly testing and making changes to pair the best prop with the best engine setup. I’d be curious to know on the two that have the M5. How far apart were they built? My guess is quite far apart and the factory made a running change. Demo them both and see which one performs better. I don’t see it as an issue, if dealers say they changed the prop in the dealer portal, it was done for a reason. 

You could also consider going with whatever you and the dealer agree on and then, after getting a feel for how it performs, buy a spare that could be better as the main prop. Our boat came with a 2249 but I bought a 2279 as a spare and ended up determining that the boat does fine overall and is more efficient with the 2279, so it's now our main prop. It's always nice to have a spare and if you do it right, you might even end up with a spare that's better than the prop it came with.

Edited by formerathlete
20 hours ago, gtoddh said:

I definitely agree. We’ve played with a few props as well. I think Malibu puts decent engineering into prop selection. A lot of local talent assisted us while trying their theories, and nothing was close to our stock high altitude prop for overall hole shot and surfing performance. I talked with Acme engineers, and even they felt Malibu had made an excellent choice for our 25 LSV.

3 hours ago, NorNevRider said:

I definitely agree. We’ve played with a few props as well. I think Malibu puts decent engineering into prop selection. A lot of local talent assisted us while trying their theories, and nothing was close to our stock high altitude prop for overall hole shot and surfing performance. I talked with Acme engineers, and even they felt Malibu had made an excellent choice for our 25 LSV.

Which prop are you running on your 25 LSV?

I’m running the stock high altitude 2249. It’s the 450 motor. The boat does really well considering we run two 750 pnp bags and an additional 1k on the floor almost all of the time. Throw a large number of family members on top of that, just for fun.

We do use some fuel!

I heard today from the dealer that Malibu informed them that the 16.5" prop is what was determined to be the best for high alttitude/torque for the A24 with the M5 engine.  This eased my anxiety about not getting a 17" prop.  Assuming all goes well I'll update this thread with my thoughts on the prop after I get a chance to use the boat a bit with it.

• Like 2