Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboarding Tips?

kdspindl

Is there any one out there with a good eye for landing a simple heelside back roll and has 2 minutes to shoot me a note?

I have watched a few youtube videos, getting closer, but can't quite land it.  i video taped my latest 2 attempts this weekend, just thought someone might have some good coaching tips real quick.  thanks!

HS backroll is a pendulum and timing trick.  Most people try and "Huck" the trick and struggle with it.  My cut and trick tips:

1. edge out 3/4 out
  2. begin progressive edge (the closer you get to the bottom of the trough, the harder edge I place on the board.
  3. When you have reached the bottom of the wake, by this time i'm standing a little tall, shove the handle down to my forward hip (hip closest to the wake) and look up and back over my leading shoulder.
  4. Just as I release off the wake, i'm nearly edging entirely away from the boat (almost 2-4 degrees backwards).  This is "KEY".... most ppl edge straight into the wake and then it makes them feel they have to "Huck" the trick because they lost the Pendulum effect.
  5. As I release, I try and stay in that position where I left the wake with my hands down and still trying to look over my leading back shoulder.
  6. If you are spinning too fast (landing on your butt), then keep the handle out and away from your body a little during rotation. 
    1. Invert rotations or spins, handle is away from your body you will spin/invert slower, handle closer to your body will make you spin/invert faster.
  7. Sort of hard to spot the landing on this trick so for me it becomes feel and where i'm at in the air.  As I'm coming out of this trick for my landing, I let go of my back hand.  If not, it will try and pull you HS roll to revert

Going to try and post a slow mo video I made last summer

Edited by hawaiianstyln
  • Like 1