Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
jcon44

Trailer Tires?

jcon44

Anyone bough new tires lately? I will most likely need some new rubber soon and wondering what size fits a 07 Boatmate trailer. I currently have 225/55 R16 that are 7 years old. They have tons of tread left, just tow once or twice a year and only a few miles at that but selling the boat soon and don't really want to sell it with old tires. Not seeing much in that size so curious what I could get to fit without new fenders.

Would reach out to Boatmate but it looks like they are closed like everyone else for now.  :( Thanks, 

justgary

I'd sell it as-is.  Maybe the new owner wants different wheels.  Just tell them how old they are. 

Etrailer.com has a variety of tires; did you check their site? 

williemon

Put whatever trailer tire brand your local tire shop has. Several calculators online that will allow you to play with sizes. I have a 2007 bm single axel trailer designed for an i ride i use for my vlx sunsetter. It has 225 75 15 tires. Sell with new rubber and out of town buyers won’t have to worry about issues trailering home after sale.

electricjohn

My 03 boatmate came with Good Year Marathons. Finally going to replace them this year, if you want a review on the Marathons.

Eagleboy99
11 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

My 03 boatmate came with Good Year Marathons. Finally going to replace them this year, if you want a review on the Marathons.

Mine are due for replacement so sure - a review would be great.  I am sure my local shop will slap whatver rand (like is what is on there now) on my single axle that sees maybe 150 kms/yr.  Maybe.

williemon

Just an observation with my experience, when i bought my 01 a few years ago, it was 3 hrs away from me. I made sure the dealer put new tires on it and i speced load range E tires. They were just a generic brand but i ran 80 pounds of pressure always. Still only got 4 years out of them before a belt let go in both of them after a 6 hour round trip. 

electricjohn

They had not given me any problems in 17 years.  Tires were used about 2000 miles annually and trailer sat in a car tent when not in use, so no sunlight. One thing that may have been in my favor was trailer (boatmate) was a tandem axle with only a 3000 lb boat on it.  I always overinflated tires when not use and rotated every two years. Plenty of treadlife left.

oldjeep
Posted (edited)

The newer Goodyear endurance are very good tires.  Put a set on last year

Edit - I think I bought them at E-trailer - 205/75R14  D rated

Edited by oldjeep

BlindSquirrel

+1 for the Goodyear’s. I think I got mine for around $125 each at discount tire, if you have those where you are. If not, you can order them online.

RyanB

I took the OEM junk tires off my Malibu the first year that the Endurance came out.  I tow a lot, and they have served me well.

I do agree with the other comment about just selling as-is though.  You certainly won't get the money you put into it out of the sale, and I doubt it would help you sell the boat any faster.