Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement Shift Knob - 09 VLX

By the way, if anyone just needs the spring, I measured it as 0.5mmX6mmX15mm.  You can order a pack of ten stainless ones from China if you want to wait for shipping, or you can get a very similar pack of five from McMaster-Carr for a little more money and a lot less time.

https://www.mcmaster.com/9435k36

• Like 2
5 hours ago, justgary said:

By the way, if anyone just needs the spring, I measured it as 0.5mmX6mmX15mm.  You can order a pack of ten stainless ones from China if you want to wait for shipping, or you can get a very similar pack of five from McMaster-Carr for a little more money and a lot less time.

Did you decide to begin production?

38 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Did you decide to begin production?

Production is not the correct word, but yes.  I didn't get much feedback about material or design, so I'm going to try something and see if you guys like it. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, justgary said:

Production is not the correct word, but yes.  I didn't get much feedback about material or design, so I'm going to try something and see if you guys like it. 

The bar is low...anything will be better than a rubber stopper with a hole in it.

• Like 2

Starting in around 2002 or so, Malibu started using a branded Isotta shift knob that looks just like that one, only without the button.  It was just a standard, screw-on knob.  I've been looking high and low for those, but can't find anywhere.  Want to replace the standard Morse ball that was on the MV2 and MV3 shifters.

• Like 3

The Isotta Viper is almost a perfect match.  IIRC, Malibu had Isotta make a large run for them and for a while Bakes sold them, too.

Edited by Eagleboy99
Spelling
8 hours ago, justgary said:

I actually found the cap when I went out in the boat again yesterday. Missing the spring so THANK YOU for this info. I'll order the ones from mcmaster as I can splurge for the $5 to get the spring here quicker :)

Once I do have the spring, how do I get the spring and the cap back on correctly. Use superglue?

Still might like your creation better though.

42 minutes ago, Fish209 said:

I actually found the cap when I went out in the boat again yesterday. Missing the spring so THANK YOU for this info. I'll order the ones from mcmaster as I can splurge for the $5 to get the spring here quicker :)

Once I do have the spring, how do I get the spring and the cap back on correctly. Use superglue?

Still might like your creation better though.

I stalled out tonight while working on it, but I am working on it. 

If you want to use your old cap, I would try a small dab of epoxy in the hole and hold it down against the rod all the way until the epoxy is well set. 

It would be interesting to see how long epoxy can hold on the slick shaft with the spring pushing up. 

13 hours ago, braindamage said:

The bar is low...anything will be better than a rubber stopper with a hole in it.

Not so much a bar..... more of a threshold.

24 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Enter the time in @justgary life that will be remembered in history as “the shift button cottage industry era”. It looks and works great!

259B4655-7BFF-49B7-8E82-3EFCAB34927B.jpeg

8D2E07D0-970B-4DCF-8FDE-97FC9E26AF7C.jpeg

CB8F0742-6FB2-426A-8F70-84630B023471.jpeg

I heard a report that you were changing your username to "thumbdamage"...  I guess that last 0.1" is hard to achieve.

• Like 2
Just now, justgary said:

I heard a report that you were changing your username to "thumbdamage"...  I guess that last 0.1" is hard to achieve.

Sometimes to get what you want it has to hurt a little. 😁

• 7 months later...

A little late to the party here but so glad that I found this thread as I was about to pay $50 for one off of ActiveWake.  Would much rather pay somebody from TheMalibuCrew :thumbup:  Or even if you want to share the CAD drawing maybe I could find somebody more local to 3D print one.  Didn't get to weigh in on the design but I think you did amazing with your design!

PM me if you're willing to whip one up for me!   Thanks!! 

17 hours ago, bfiore5000 said:

A little late to the party here but so glad that I found this thread as I was about to pay $50 for one off of ActiveWake.  Would much rather pay somebody from TheMalibuCrew :thumbup:  Or even if you want to share the CAD drawing maybe I could find somebody more local to 3D print one.  Didn't get to weigh in on the design but I think you did amazing with your design!

PM me if you're willing to whip one up for me!   Thanks!! 

I now have a printer, but I haven't tried to print one.  I would suggest PETG material for something exposed to UV and weather.  I currently have translucent blue, and have a need to purchase some solid white, or possibly pearlescent white.  If you had your choice of colors, what would you use?

@braindamage, how did yours do over the season?  Any issues?

26 minutes ago, justgary said:

I now have a printer, but I haven't tried to print one.  I would suggest PETG material for something exposed to UV and weather.  I currently have translucent blue, and have a need to purchase some solid white, or possibly pearlescent white.  If you had your choice of colors, what would you use?

I personally think solid white would look amazing!  Not sure if the pearlescent white would shine too much?  Haven't seen pearlescent white printed items but am just thinking of a pearlescent white car.

10 hours ago, justgary said:

Works like a charm! The finish is rubbing off the top but I like it because it makes the logo you put on the top more noticeable. Awesome work!

:salute:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 9:16 AM, bfiore5000 said:

I personally think solid white would look amazing!  Not sure if the pearlescent white would shine too much?  Haven't seen pearlescent white printed items but am just thinking of a pearlescent white car.

I don't have a way to test fit these because I sent the assembly back to @oldjeep, but the dimensions are very close to the original wood ones.  This is regular white PETG.  

Installation is basically a press fit, but a tiny dab of E6000 glue or equivalent on the very end of the shaft would probably help ensure a longer-term adhesion.

xzw6dgF.jpg

On 12/11/2020 at 7:14 PM, braindamage said:

Works like a charm! The finish is rubbing off the top but I like it because it makes the logo you put on the top more noticeable. Awesome work!

:salute:

Maybe a little clear nail polish would dress it up if you get tired of the worn look.

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2020 at 12:50 PM, justgary said:

I don't have a way to test fit these because I sent the assembly back to @oldjeep, but the dimensions are very close to the original wood ones.  This is regular white PETG.  

Installation is basically a press fit, but a tiny dab of E6000 glue or equivalent on the very end of the shaft would probably help ensure a longer-term adhesion.

xzw6dgF.jpg

I would like to buy one of these. How do I get one and how much are they?