Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement Shift Knob - 09 VLX

The shift knob/cap/button popped off while riding around today and I wasn't able to find it. Anyone know where I can get a replacement for my 2009 Wakesetter VLX?

I just need the knob, not the whole assembly. Does anyone just have the little knob available for sale?

Shift Knob.png

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, Fish209 said:

Out of stock :(

(and $42.99 seems a bit high for a nickle size plastic cap)

Thank you though!

Welcome to boating..

Have you tried calling bakes or looking on their website?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Fish209 said:

Out of stock :(

(and $42.99 seems a bit high for a nickle size plastic cap)

Thank you though!

It's about $500 to replace the whole throttle - $42 seems cheap now doesn't it ;)

Bakes used to list the kit, but I suspect they are all gone.  I've got parts from an extra throttle assembly in a bag in the boat if the need arises since there are a couple pieces on them that are known to break. (buttons and the TPS).  Might start checking with dealers in your area to see if anyone has the kits left.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

It's about $500 to replace the whole throttle - $42 seems cheap now doesn't it ;)

Bakes used to list the kit, but I suspect they are all gone.  I've got parts from an extra throttle assembly in a bag in the boat if the need arises since there are a couple pieces on them that are known to break. (buttons and the TPS).  Might start checking with dealers in your area to see if anyone has the kits left.

If you have a button/cap loose in the bag and have a way to measure it (very) accurately, I can make a CAD drawing of it pretty easily.  That would make it either 3D printable or machinable from acetal rod or aluminum.  If you can't or don't want to measure it, you could mail it to me and I would return it promptly.  PM if you are interested.

10 minutes ago, justgary said:

If you have a button/cap loose in the bag and have a way to measure it (very) accurately, I can make a CAD drawing of it pretty easily.  That would make it either 3D printable or machinable from acetal rod or aluminum.  If you can't or don't want to measure it, you could mail it to me and I would return it promptly.  PM if you are interested.

The tough part would be measuring the little tabs.  The piece is plastic, not sure if you could do aluminum since the tabs need to move to install/remove.  I've got a digital caliper, could give it a shot.  I do have one in a bag, just have to find it since the stuff hasn't been put back in the boat for the year yet.

Edited by oldjeep
1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

The tough part would be measuring the little tabs.  The piece is plastic, not sure if you could do aluminum since the tabs need to move to install/remove.  I've got a digital caliper, could give it a shot.  I do have one in a bag, just have to find it since the stuff hasn't been put back in the boat for the year yet.

Aluminum would work with the correct thickness and slots to allow the tabs to move.  It seems like the OEM ones don't have enough tab anyway.  That's what's failing and letting them free themselves from their captivity.

Having one in hand would definitely be the better choice for me, but it should certainly be fun to try this way.  Others can join in too (but they have to have a button to measure in order to play).

4 minutes ago, justgary said:

Aluminum would work with the correct thickness and slots to allow the tabs to move.  It seems like the OEM ones don't have enough tab anyway.  That's what's failing and letting them free themselves from their captivity.

Having one in hand would definitely be the better choice for me, but it should certainly be fun to try this way.  Others can join in too (but they have to have a button to measure in order to play).

I'll send it to you once I find it.  I actually have 2 of them - one is still in a complete extra throttle control

2 hours ago, justgary said:

I'll send you a PM.  But here is what I'd be willing to send you.  A good button, the top of a shifter assembly so you can make sure it actually fits, and the spring - for doing a good measure on.  The spring typically launches itself into neverland when the button pops out.  If you manage to make something cool - send me one when you send these back.

Edit: Worth noting that the top of the shifter ball isn't really designed to come off - it is glued on.  I had just broken one loose in case I got super bored and decided to try to make a fancier replacement.

IMAG2052s.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
18 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Welcome to boating..

Have you tried calling bakes or looking on their website?

Yes, I checked Bakes. I didn't see anything on their website, but sent them a message just in case they had anything..

Following!  I had Domed make me a custom cap insert but it's just the logo and not the actual cap.  I do have the schematic for the Ski Command throttle, not sure if you need it or would be helpful but I can send it.

Wow, my previous offer to attempt this was met with blank stares.  I guess Bake's still had a few in stock then....

Everybody hang tight, @oldjeep's parts are in the mail.  I need some time with them to see what happens next.

25 minutes ago, braindamage said:

The PO of mine just drilled a hole in a rubber stopper

Well, you just killed my cottage industry.  I was planning to charge everybody gobs of their stimulus money to drill a hole for them!  :crazy:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, justgary said:

Wow, my previous offer to attempt this was met with blank stares.  I guess Bake's still had a few in stock then....

Everybody hang tight, @oldjeep's parts are in the mail.  I need some time with them to see what happens next.

Keep us posted. Thanks!

9 hours ago, justgary said:

Well, you just killed my cottage industry.  I was planning to charge everybody gobs of their stimulus money to drill a hole for them!  :crazy:

My solution isn’t very aesthetic, so I’m sure there is still ample opportunity for a “premium “ offering. :)

3 hours ago, braindamage said:

My solution isn’t very aesthetic, so I’m sure there is still ample opportunity for a “premium “ offering. :)

The premium offering would include your custom graphic on the cap, whittled with my very own pocket knife.

8 minutes ago, justgary said:

The premium offering would include your custom graphic on the cap, whittled with my very own pocket knife.

that is totally worth "gobs" more money!!!