Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 sportster timing?

Hey, I am wanting to check the timing on my sportster, 1999 310 hp carbed. It should be 10 degrees BTDC. Question is; Is there any thing different about using a timing gun on this motor than any other non marine chevy 350?

Edited by lanshark

This all I can find...not sure it is even helpful but it says 10 degrees BTDC.  That's a 20 degree swing, but presumes it's an Indmar.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dt42noh0115yov/Indmar Ignition Timing.pdf?dl=0

IIRC I got that document from @Engine Nut...he's definitely most qualified for this one, methinks.

Edited by formulaben
  • Like 3

resources tab engine manual says "Base Timing at 1000 RPM (Note 3) 10˚ Before Top Dead Center"

and note "3) Timing must be set using special procedures indicated in the appropriate service manual. Timing cannot be set using conventional methods. Special tool(s) required."

iirc that "special tools" is a jumper to force the engine into diagnostics mode == base timing.