Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Engine time!!

52 minutes ago, mgb1974 said:

No I did not. Totally figured it was set when they put the timing chain on the engine at the factory...

You would think that it should have been, but something is definitely wrong.

Do you know what cam they put in it?  Maybe you have something too aggressive in it.

I think I found my problem. The distributor cap is marked wrong, I thought all SBC firing order was standard. The cap shows 1 8 2 4 6 5 3 7 Clockwise, It should be 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 Clockwise, Ill switch the four wires and see what happens. 

1395389879_Annotation2020-05-03104823.thumb.jpg.f83915dd99d52522c874ae374dfde0e7.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mgb1974 said:

I think I found my problem. The distributor cap is marked wrong, I thought all SBC firing order was standard. The cap shows 1 8 2 4 6 5 3 7 Clockwise, It should be 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 Clockwise, Ill switch the four wires and see what happens. 

Scratch that, Firing order is correct. The Cap number is correct, it has paths as you can see that evens out the pattern on a circle and gives the correct firing order...

Back to the drawing board...

6 hours ago, mgb1974 said:

Scratch that, Firing order is correct. The Cap number is correct, it has paths as you can see that evens out the pattern on a circle and gives the correct firing order...

Back to the drawing board...

That's evil.  What a doofy cap.

@mgb1974 - I scrolled back to the Ap25 starter pics, it looks like the ground connection nut is not tight in the picture, have you gone back and checked all the fasteners for torque?

Edited by Woodski
4 hours ago, Woodski said:

@mgb1974 - I scrolled back to the Ap25 starter pics, it looks like the ground connection nut is not tight in the picture, have you gone back and checked all the fasteners for torque?

Yeah I redid all of that with a new starter. Torque down. Starter problem has been resolved. 

Still getting the SPN 636 Cam sensor error. Engine barely runs. 

Here is my next steps. 

• I think my problem might be the reluctor ring or cam sensor. I am going to pull the cam sensor and bench test it and also check if any marring on the face. If the cam sensor checks good, I need to confirm that I didn't install the reluctor ring backwards. I read a SBC forum where someone did that and the engine would barely run, sounds very close to my situation. 
  • The only other option is that cam timing/timing chain was incorrect from the factory. 
  • Double check intake manifold gaskets for a major intake leak. i cant see anything so may need to remove the intake to double check. 

If those items check good I have no clue whats going on. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still wondering how it's going to run without changing things like injector pulse.  The system is programmed to inject enough fuel to mix with the air volume of a 43.75 cu in cylinder (350/8) and you're putting that charge into a 47.87 in cylinder.  Are you relying on the knock sensor to listen for detonation and richen up the mixture?

On 6/4/2020 at 10:31 PM, UWSkier said:

I'm still wondering how it's going to run without changing things like injector pulse.  The system is programmed to inject enough fuel to mix with the air volume of a 43.75 cu in cylinder (350/8) and you're putting that charge into a 47.87 in cylinder.  Are you relying on the knock sensor to listen for detonation and richen up the mixture?

Another guy on the MalibuCrew did the same swap with out changing computer/injectors. His results were that these engines are tuned to be on rich side for fuel/air mix.  I used that as my baseline. 

Boat ran good on the lake, no detonation. I didn’t push it too hard. Didn’t take it over 4K rpm. Put a few hours on it cruising around and varying rpms. Engine sounds good, has a lumpy  cam in it. Boat ramp was a mad house when we were leaving,wife let it sit there and idle for 30 minutes, not realizing I take so long.  Wasn’t happy but engine had about 3 hours on it at that point. Should be ok. 

Will be back out this week to do some 0-4500rpm launches to help seat the rings and continue the break in. I plan on hooking up DIACOM and monitoring fuel mix. Once I hit 10 hours I should be good.

13 minutes ago, mgb1974 said:

Another guy on the MalibuCrew did the same swap with out changing computer/injectors. His results were that these engines are tuned to be on rich side for fuel/air mix.  I used that as my baseline. 

Boat ran good on the lake, no detonation. I didn’t push it too hard. Didn’t take it over 4K rpm. Put a few hours on it cruising around and varying rpms. Engine sounds good, has a lumpy  cam in it. Boat ramp was a mad house when we were leaving,wife let it sit there and idle for 30 minutes, not realizing I take so long.  Wasn’t happy but engine had about 3 hours on it at that point. Should be ok. 

Will be back out this week to do some 0-4500rpm launches to help seat the rings and continue the break in. I plan on hooking up DIACOM and monitoring fuel mix. Once I hit 10 hours I should be good.

Seems like a fun project. Wonder if my old mefi2 setup would be safe running that block... 🤣 A 383 would rip in a slalom boat. 

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Seems like a fun project. Wonder if my old mefi2 setup would be safe running that block... 🤣 A 383 would rip in a slalom boat. 

Only one way one way to find out! 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...