Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MEDALLION TOUCHSCREENS AND MALIBU

Could someone please send me any all contact information that you have on Medallion and Malibu. As I have posted, I am on my 4th touchscreen and not paying for another one. Just got stuck with PowerWedge fully deployed and the engine would not start. I was simply trying to do a little wakeboarding/surfing with my wife, 4yr old, and 2 yr old...I was able to power up then down over a dozen times to finally get cranked. Wedge would not move. Drove 30 minutes home with Wedge fully deployed. 

Im sorry but this is a problem...and has been for years!!! Someone has to do something about it. See the email below that I tried to send to Medallion:

"Hey there….hope someone actually reads these emails?

I have replaced (4) Touchscreens on my 2011 Malibu 23 Wakesetter LSV. What in the world is the problem with your product?? Just to give you a real life situation: 

The touchscreen works to crank the boat…then 1 minute later you have no response from it. This Touchscreen controls: 

1)TURNING BOAT ON AND OFF  

2)BILGE PUMPS 

3) LIGHTS 

4) POWER WEDGE (this actually stayed down for the past 30 minutes without being able to raise) 

5) BALLAST SYSTEM

I listed those in order of necessity. Would you feel safe in a boat that may or may not turn “on”?? You can ask this same question for all crucial switches that it controls. Keep in mind, these are high end boats that are made to pull surfers, wakeboarder, skiers, etc. Malibu has been the best boat in my opinion for all of the above, yet your faulty touchscreen is swaying my opinion these days. I have spent over $8000.00 in replacement touchscreens made by your company?? YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RIGHT! 

Please get back to me immediately and we can work through my local Malibu Dealership. We just replaced this touchscreen less than a year ago, I am not paying you for another one that doesn’t work. Please escalate this to the top of the chain of command in your company. I have already reported to my local Malibu dealership. Please help!!

I would greatly appreciate any and all of your help!!!

Edited by CElliott00
contact info

I also had issues with my Medallion Information Center (older, vride) and had no fortune from contacting Medallion or through Malibu or Singleton (our local Malibu dealers as it was an out of production part as far as they were concerned). I ended up having to replace mine from Bakes.

My replacement information center started having some issues last year on some our hot days (Memorial Day, Labor Day in the high 90s) and through troubleshooting (and noticing) decided my Alternator Regulator was letting the voltage get too high (approaching 15v). I am also looking at adding an additional heatsink to the regulator to help these conditions.

I agree that we shouldn't have to jump through hoops or an in-depth understanding of electronic (or sourcing similar screen parts was one thing I tried doing) to keep key features of our boats running reliably.

Edited by smileysteve
Added why dealer couldn't help

Just curious, when was the most recent time the screen was replaced? They did a revision on them late last year.

Keep in mind right now Malibu is closed. Tech reps are working at home and only answering emails, I dont know if any higher ups will even respond. 

I can tell you that right now Malibu is out of these screens. They are made in China for Medallion. They wont even give an ETA at this point in time.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. They've known about this problem since those screens came out. I've replaced mine twice and my buddy replaced his once.  Unfortunately, Malibu and Medallion won't fix anything or help you out. 

Edited by dwc032

Give Ron Tanis a call at skiboatpartsonline.com  He's got retrofit kits for KM  separate gauges and I understand he's done a full screen dash replacemnet.  Unless someone han figure out the comms on that system and replace it with an iPad, I'd dump all the high tech.  $8000 spent already - wow!

8 hours ago, smileysteve said:

I also had issues with my Medallion Information Center (older, vride) and had no fortune from contacting Medallion or through Malibu or Singleton (our local Malibu dealers as it was an out of production part as far as they were concerned). I ended up having to replace mine from Bakes.

My replacement information center started having some issues last year on some our hot days (Memorial Day, Labor Day in the high 90s) and through troubleshooting (and noticing) decided my Alternator Regulator was letting the voltage get too high (approaching 15v). I am also looking at adding an additional heatsink to the regulator to help these conditions.

I agree that we shouldn't have to jump through hoops or an in-depth understanding of electronic (or sourcing similar screen parts was one thing I tried doing) to keep key features of our boats running reliably.

Did you really measure nearly 15V at the screen?  Depending on the parts inside it, I can imagine how that might cause trouble.

A simple DC-DC converter would work wonders to keep the screen powered at a constant 12V.

I would highly recommend checking the boat harness and MTC plug connection pins before replacing another screen.  Any corrosion or worn pins can cause intermittent connections and if the CAN looses connection, you can have a lot of issues, including a no crank condition.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

WOWZER! I just started reading up on all of this as my 2013 VLX also started having the same issues as far as delaminating and command issues. Has there been any new developments since the last post back in 2020? 

Edited by MS2013VLX
  • 2 weeks later...

As someone who paid $3500 last summer for one I can tell you I understand your frustration.  I don’t think the tone of that email is likely to get you any traction with Malibu or medallion.  It probably wouldn’t matter if it was written more nicely, because both parties haven’t been motivated when hundreds of people wrote similar nicely worded emails over the past 10 years.  Unfortunately they are content to overcharge and underdeliver.  Members on here like @COOP and MTCscreens.com are likely our best bet and getting this addressed.  It’s not just a Malibu prob either, it’s prettymuch all wakeboats of that era.  My buddy has a 2014 tige that has missed 2 seasons due to needing medallion screens.  Absolutely maddening.

• 3 weeks later...