Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dealer Cost to Replace Impeller

Hi - getting my 50 hour service done soon on my 18 23 LSV - dealership recommended replacing impeller while they have it in the shop.  Part is only about $50 but advisor said labor is 1 1/2 hours - seems like I read about some of you guys replacing them yourselves in about 5 minutes.  How hard is it to do myself, and do I need any special tools?

The impeller change consists of leaning over the engine, removing 4 small brass bolts, and using an impeller puller to remove the existing.  There is a gasket to replace and you push the new impeller back into the hole and torque the bolts back down.  For someone who knows what they are doing it takes maybe 15 minutes tops, but I bet the dealer is also running your engine to ensure there are no leaks and that the new impeller is functioning properly, which is gonna take some more time.  1 hour seems fair.  1.5 seems a bit high but that's just my opinion.  It's probably the recommended time?

The dealer can charge whatever he wants because he know people will pay it. 

The bigger issue is that you should know how to change the impeller yourself and be comfortable/confident doing so.  At some point, you will shred an impeller while using the boat. If you can't change the impeller while on the water, then your cruise/afternoon/weekend/week of boating is over.  You will need to be towed to the dock, take your boat to the dealer, and wait in line until they get to it.  In the middle of summer, could be a couple weeks.  

Go on amazon and order 2 impeller kits.  There are countless threads on here on how to replace the impeller.  Having an impeller puller is nice, but a set of large needlenose pliers works fine in a pinch.  

It is an easy maintenance item that you should know how to do.

Then learn to drain the block, change the oil in the engine, tranny, and vdrive, and you'll never need to go to the dealer again.

There are so many threads on this...there might even be one for your exact model. 

If you can get to the outer plate on the impeller pump, you can do the change.  Yes, there is a removal tool you can buy, but try it with pliers and see if you need one...the tool wouldn't even work in my boat. 

Assuming you have the Johnson F6B pump:

• Remove the cover (be careful of losing the small screws), spray WD-40 into the pump housing and let it sit a while.
  • Bump the starter a couple times.
  • With some needle nose pliers, grab uncompressed vane (12 o'clock position in picture below) and while simultaneously pushing downwards towards the compressed vanes give it a pull and she'll come right out.  Be careful with the pliers, you don't want metal-on-metal contact with the pump housing.
  • Use a clean cloth to clean inside of pump of WD-40; inspect pump and impeller for any damage.
  • Install new impeller by hand; DO NOT use petroleum jelly, WD-40, etc.  Use glycerine, silicone lube, or dish washing liquid with a little water.
  • Use flat gasket and replace cover; DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN BRASS SCREWS as they can easily snap.

20170309-160250.jpg

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, formulaben said:

There are so many threads on this...there might even be one for your exact model. 

If you can get to the outer plate on the impeller pump, you can do the change.  Yes, there is a removal tool you can buy, but try it with pliers and see if you need one...the tool wouldn't even work in my boat. 

Assuming you have the Johnson F6B pump:

• Remove the cover (be careful of losing the small screws), spray WD-40 into the pump housing and let it sit a while.
  • Bump the starter a couple times.
  • With some needle nose pliers, grab uncompressed vane (12 o'clock position in picture below) and while simultaneously pushing downwards towards the compressed vanes give it a pull and she'll come right out.  Be careful with the pliers, you don't want metal-on-metal contact with the pump housing.
  • Use a clean cloth to clean inside of pump of WD-40; inspect pump and impeller for any damage.
  • Install new impeller by hand; DO NOT use petroleum jelly, WD-40, etc.  Use glycerine, silicone lube, or dish washing liquid with a little water.
  • Use flat gasket and replace cover; DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN BRASS SCREWS as they can easily snap.

20170309-160250.jpg

This is a good set of instructions.  I also recommend visiting your local hardware store and getting a few extra brass screws.  When you are in the middle of the lake replacing the impeller, if you drop one of those screws down in the bilge, you will be, eh, screwed. 

Have a couple extra on board with your spare impeller.  Find the one you dropped later.

And all of this becomes MUCH easier (on a VDrive) once you do the muffler delete.  With the muffler out of the way, I can easily reach (AND SEE!) the pump housing.  Easily get the puller or pliers into position to remove the impeller.  

21 minutes ago, kylesullens said:

And all of this becomes MUCH easier (on a VDrive) once you do the muffler delete. 

For sure a night and day difference.  I really hated impeller changes before but now it's a literally a 5-10 minute job. 

I replace mine every other year and keep at least 2 in the boat at all times. I also keep the one's I removed if someone needs one. I've given a few away over the years. 

If you do this yourself, be sure to check for leaks next time you are on the water. Since the brass screws are so soft, they can be left too loose and leak. Quick check on the ramp when you fire it up, tighten a few screws, and no leak. Good to go.