Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Wakesetter 247 LSV problems after first ride out on the water

peterbarnhart

Took my 2015 Wakesetter out for a few hours after having it delivered from Detroit!   Great boat but as I figured there would be a list of to-do's after I gave it a full battery of tests.   Hoping you guys can help me or point me to posts for some of the following issues.

1.  Center Ballast tank always stays at 0%.   It fills all the way as you can see it is full with water as well as it starts spewing from overflow up front right next to Front ballast which registers on the Maliview display and also spews out the side when full.   I took the float sensor out of the front tank.   Its a really simple high quality stainless steel rig.    hard to imagine what would go wrong with it but I everything can break.     Issue is the center tank is ridiculously hard to get to.   You would have to use a 5/16" socket on a 1/4" ratchet completely blind to remove the 5 screws on top in order to remove the float switch and then put them back in blind.   You would think they would have put in another floor opening to get to this but they did not.     Hoping there is a reset or something else others have seen without full replacement.

2.  Bluetooth is really glitchy.   I think I am connected to the Viper2 system as I went in and renamed it on the 7"display and it shows up on my phone but sound is variable and also not very good.   Sound is WAYY better on even the radio or aux.    Read quite a bit on the forum about the sound issues but most of the articles were from back in 2016 and 2017.   Wondering if there were any firmware updates to Viper 2 to resolve.    Also read about a separate Rockford Fosgate RFXBT dongle but when searched showed it was discontinued.   

3.  Bass is really weak.   I pulled the cover of the Fosgate Amp and think the gain is set low and the low pass frequency is set low also.   Stickers all over that if you adjust warranty is void but feel like it needs adjustment.

4.  Promariner Prosport12 Charger appears dead.   When I plug cord into it no AC light comes on.  Wondering if there have been issues with this unit.

Outside of the above issues - WOW!   Great boat.   Throttle response is awesome for such a big boat and handling is awesome.   My kids were in awe at the wake we produced.   Looking forward to the summer and hope you guys can help.

Peter

Peter,

First congrats on the new boat!  They are great. But there are always small things. 

For your first issue, yes those tank sensors do go bad from time to time. We demo'd a 2020 last year and the front tank sensor quit after an hour of surfing. You probably need to replace it.

I may have a rfxbt that i didn't install.... i need to look, but it could be at our lake house, might not be getting there for a few weeks.

You amps are out of warranty anyway by now i would think, so turn it up.

Congrats Peter on your boat!

Others can chime in on some of the issues but we have a 2020 LSV and the Bluetooth doesn’t sound too great even with brand new amps (Warrantied - originals were blown from factor)

We only only source music through iPhone hardwired with USB or flashdrive direct. We never use Bluetooth as even with vehicles etc never sounds as good as hardwired or flashdrive 

About #4. It may not be dead. If its like mine, then the problem could be simple. 

The round molded black plastic ring in the trim is a tension relief for a plain old plug. And it makes it look nicely finished. However, the three portions of the plug do get pushed back deeper and deeper until they don’t make contact anymore when you insert the extension cord. Use some pliers and pull the plug back out some. I bet you get a quarter inch or more of travel. Insert the cord gently from now on to reduce Howe’s often you have to do this. 

Thanks guys for all your help.   Does anyone know manufacturer or part # for ballast float sensor?   I dont see any of the firmware updates floating around this forum, surprised that those are not shared unless Malibu has threatened forum owners not to share.    Good idea on the plug, I was going to check that next.

asnowman if you have an extra RFXBT would very much appreciate that, happy to pay you a fair price just let me know.

Peter

12 hours ago, peterbarnhart said:

Took my 2015 Wakesetter out for a few hours after having it delivered from Detroit!   Great boat but as I figured there would be a list of to-do's after I gave it a full battery of tests.   Hoping you guys can help me or point me to posts for some of the following issues.

1.  Center Ballast tank always stays at 0%.   It fills all the way as you can see it is full with water as well as it starts spewing from overflow up front right next to Front ballast which registers on the Maliview display and also spews out the side when full.   I took the float sensor out of the front tank.   Its a really simple high quality stainless steel rig.    hard to imagine what would go wrong with it but I everything can break.     Issue is the center tank is ridiculously hard to get to.   You would have to use a 5/16" socket on a 1/4" ratchet completely blind to remove the 5 screws on top in order to remove the float switch and then put them back in blind.   You would think they would have put in another floor opening to get to this but they did not.     Hoping there is a reset or something else others have seen without full replacement.

As stated above, while the float does not appear to be bad, the potentiometer is probably dead. You can get better access to the center tank but it involves some work (I have never had to do this yet). First I would check to see how far back you need to move the tank to get the access point aligned with the bilge cover. There are some screws that mount the tank to the stringers to let it slide back. You might have to remove the pumps to do so as well. If this does not allow enough room, remove gas tank then slide ballast tank back... Not an easy task, but the only way I know how to.

kerplexual - thanks.   In staring it down last Sunday I came to about the same conclusion.    Think I will probably let it sit at 0%.   that could be an entire day project.    Any idea where I could get the part.   Havent found anything on the forums about manufacturer and part #.  BTW, I see you live in Kingwood.   I keep my boat on LIvingston if you ever get out that way.

Peter

Peter,

I cant add a lot to you issues, but I tend to either have the mid ship ballast empty or full, never anything in between.  Leaving it reading at zero might be annoying, but likely won’t affect how you use it.

What part of Livingston?  We have a house in Forrest Hills, 2/3 of the way between Livingston and Onalaska.

We have a house at the tip of the indian Hills peninsula, just on the east side of the peninsula.   Its where everyone comes because the water is usually good.   Dockhouse has a green roof and address is 1522 Indian Hills blvd.  If you are in our cove holler at me.

Peter

713-899-6000

Also, think I have figured out its a Moeller sensor if I feel inclined to replace.   Does this sound right?

Peter

You may be able to check the center ballast tank sender by swapping one of the other tank senders for a quick test.  If you remove the bow tank sender, for example, connect it to the center tank harness plug and move the float by hand, you could see if the problem is with the center tank sender or if it is possibly an issue with the wiring or connections from the sender to the helm.  If the center tank sender does need replacement, the center and bow ballast fill pumps can be removed, then the center tank brackets can be removed and then slide the center tank back so the sender is more accessible.  It is definitely a hugh PITA, but possible.

The Viper2 bluetooth issues you are having may be caused by the firmware, or an issue with the antenna connection on the back of the 7 inch screen, or an internal failure in the screen/viper controller or Rockford black box, or a faulty connection at one of the helm plugs or at the black box.  Definitely at lot to look at.  The most recent software version I have seen for the 2015 Wakesetter is "MY2015  01-2016 V2" and version "122014" or newer is recommended for proper bluetooth operation.  I believe the software is proprietary and will not usually be shared or found easily online.  The four files that were used for the update are usually too large for an email attachment, so they would need to go on a zip drive or file sharing site.  Also, if the incorrect software is used, or if the update is not done correctly, your 7 inch screen will become an expensive paperweight or doorstop.  I would recommend that your dealer take care of screen updates.  I've found that those with little or no experience that are looking for problems with wiring harness connections often overlook some obvious problems with them.  Again, maybe something you would rather have your dealer look at.  Malibu Service Advisory MY15.Adv14.DEC22 covers Viper2 bluetooth troubleshooting and will be available to your dealer.

There were guidelines in place that allowed dealers to remove the amplifier anti-tampering stickers to retune the amplifiers when needed without voiding the warranty, but I expect the stereo system warranty coverage on any 2015 Malibu has already passed.  Again, if you don't have experience tuning amplifiers, this may also be something that should be left to a professional.

Sorry, I realize this may not have been very helpful.

Also, think I have figured out its a Moeller sensor if I feel inclined to replace.   Does this sound right?

Peter

csleaver - Thank you for your response.   Great idea on the swapping the sensor should be an easy way to figure out if its the sensor or the wiring.   Which computer under the dash does the sensor plug into?   

On the 7" screen - I talked with a guy at Malibu who was very helpful.   I sent him a pic of my screen which showed MY2015 01-2016 V1 and he said that was most current.   Your post said V2 was current.   Is version 122014 the newest recommended update?   There are several youtube videos on how to update and seems really basic but I agree dont want to make a paperweight out of an expensive piece of equipment.   

I used to install car stereos for a living so definitely not scared.   Understandably they set them at a level that wont bury them in warranty work but need a little more thump!

Thank you again for your help.

Peter

9 hours ago, peterbarnhart said:

csleaver - Thank you for your response.   Great idea on the swapping the sensor should be an easy way to figure out if its the sensor or the wiring.   Which computer under the dash does the sensor plug into?   

On the 7" screen - I talked with a guy at Malibu who was very helpful.   I sent him a pic of my screen which showed MY2015 01-2016 V1 and he said that was most current.   Your post said V2 was current.   Is version 122014 the newest recommended update?   There are several youtube videos on how to update and seems really basic but I agree dont want to make a paperweight out of an expensive piece of equipment.   

I used to install car stereos for a living so definitely not scared.   Understandably they set them at a level that wont bury them in warranty work but need a little more thump!

Thank you again for your help.

Peter

I'm sure the 01-2016V1 software will work just fine and will not negatively affect the bluetooth operation.  122014 is an earlier software version than what you have (they are usually named by release date now).

I would definitely swap the ballast sender first, but if you do need to check the harness, check your ground connections first.  If the Viper and the sender do not share a good ground, it will not read correctly.

On the 16 pin boat harness plug (pins A through J), pin C on the top (yellow with blue stripe wire), should be the center ballast sender wire.  On the 16 pin Viper2 harness plug (pins 1 through 16), pin 11 on the bottom (tan with blue stripe) is the center ballast sender wire to the Viper2.  It should be 240 ohms empty and 33 ohms full.  The "SYSTEM DIAG" in the SETTINGS menu on the 7 inch screen will also show the MLS_C reading for the center ballast sender which should be between 350 to 25 counts.  Pin 1 and pin 6 on the top (both are grey with black stripe wire) on the 16 pin viper plug are the grounds.  There is also a sensor ground on pin 10 on the top (grey with black stripe wire) on the 20 pin viper connector.

I have seen several boats that had female harness plug pins that have become worn, causing bad connections and making things not work correctly.  If you take the purple pin cover off of the female connector, you can see the pins.  Each has a small spring loaded recessed center pin.  If that pin gets bent too far up, it may not make a good connection with the male pin on the other connector.  I have successfully bent worn pins back down as a temporary fix, but If the pins are worn, they should really be replaced.  Also check for corrosion or pins that may have pulled loose from the connector plug.

Kind of a long explanation that you likely will not even need, but if you do need more help, let me know.  I'm on the couch until my shop opens back up.