Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

lovetosurf

Going from Centurion to Malibu?

lovetosurf

Searching for some honest opinions here.

Looking at the Centurion forums, I’ve seen a fair amount of Malibu owners make a jump to Centurion and share their reasons for doing so.

Not looking to start a brand bashing session here as I think it’s mostly subjective and both brands certainly have their strengths and weaknesses.

I’m curious however to hear how many here have recently gone the other way (Centurion to Malibu) and what that experience was like?

Thanks

Chappy
Posted (edited)

I tried both Bu and Centurion before I purchased my 2019.  In all honestly the Ri230 had the best wave of any boat I demo'ed, my 24 MXZ wave was a close 2nd. So for me it came down to price, styling, fit and finish.  The Centurion was only about $10K less than my Bu and I prefer the styling, fit and finish of the Bu so I stuck with Malibu.  Centurion has come a long way since the Correct Craft acquisition but IMO they are no where near as well made as Bu and I just don't love the styling and color options. Now if it was $25K less I may have been persuaded. Go do a demo, you really can't go wrong unless your dealer sucks.

Edited by Chappy

Slayer
7 hours ago, Chappy said:

I tried both Bu and Centurion before I purchased my 2019.  In all honestly the Ri230 had a best wave of any boat I demo'ed, my 24 MXZ wave was a close 2nd. So for me it came down to price, styling, fit and finish.  The Centurion was only about $10K less than my Bu and I prefer the styling, fit and finish of the Bu so I stuck with Malibu.  Centurion has come a long way since the Correct Craft acquisition but IMO they are no where near as well made as Bu and I just don't love the styling and color options. Now if it was $25K less I may have been persuaded. Go do a demo, you really can't go wrong unless your dealer sucks.

Stellar advice!!  I had some discussions with our local Centurion dealer here and their pricing was pretty aggressive, but it was only aggressive on the less than desirable color combinations for me personally.  I may demo one this season as I'm hoping to upgrade boats next year.  I'm a rather brand loyal guy and have had great experiences with my Malibu's since my first one, but as @Chappy said, if your dealer blows or isn't conveniently located to you, then it's a no go, IMO.

The Hulk

Resale hit is brutal with centurion. Granted maybe it won't be as bad with the Ri series, time will tell.

Centurion deeper V smoother chop rides. But difficult for shallow Sandbar parking.New mfg process with the fiberglass.  Fast fill times, dated small screens/dash for the $ IMO

Malibu better styling, screen, gadgets, similar wave slightly rougher chop less v, but handles a bit more shallow waters, longer fill times easier resale after few years.

I agree the price gap is too similar for less IMO. If they keep making strides like they have over past few years they will be a future major contender. 

I was interested in the ri257 it's a beast but the draft is just too deep for our Lake and parking at Sandbar and I just can't swallow the initial depreciation hit centurion comes with

Chappy
17 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Resale hit is brutal with centurion.

Good point about depreciation, I figured the price difference was so close in my scenario I would make it up in the resale anyway.

lovetosurf

Appreciate all the feed back. Just to be clear though, I’ve owned 3 centurions, the last of which was a 2018 Fi23 and have recently spent time on and demoed a bunch of Malibu’s and feel I have a pretty solid idea of their pros, cons & differences. It was actually the new 25LSV wave that blew me away and started this whole exploration.

The purpose of the post was more to see if there were an equal number of people jumping ship from recent year Centurion’s to Malibu’s and reasons for doing so.

Again I only ask as there seemed to a large amount of Malibu owners documenting the switch to centurion on the centurion forums... so just curious, any Malibu owners here switch from a reason year Centurion? 

Chappy

Well there are probably more than 10x the Malibu's on the market so there will be way more chance of switching from Malibu to Centurion based on that alone.  Doesn't necessarily mean that Centurion is a better boat and vice versa. Pretty sure Malibu grows market share pretty much every year. Why does that matter for your purchasing decision though?

Chrismoe

Hi lovetosurf,

I recently looked hard at both a Malibu and a Centurion Ri257. Both are great boats so for me it came down to:

1) Dealership. If this is good, that is a huge plus. Warranty work, service, etc. So ask around and make sure either dealer is great; please do not just look at reviews.

2) If not ordering a custom boat, especially these days (sorry guys) then color combo and options. 

3) Gas tank size. I know that sounds odd but what I mean is run time. So, based on gas mileage for your type of use, can you be out all day hammering and not have to go into the marina and get gas. 

4) Price. A great boat is a disposable income purchase - that is why price is last on my list. AS LONG AS the pricing is close. 

Chris

lovetosurf
1 hour ago, Chappy said:

Well there are probably more than 10x the Malibu's on the market so there will be way more chance of switching from Malibu to Centurion based on that alone.  Doesn't necessarily mean that Centurion is a better boat and vice versa. Pretty sure Malibu grows market share pretty much every year. Why does that matter for your purchasing decision though?

True, guess market share plays a part in those numbers. Honestly has no bearing on our purchase decision though, just curious... and bored perhaps. 😁

kylesullens

I went from a Centurion Elite V to a Malibu 23LSV.  I loved the Centurion, was my first truly "nice" boat, had it for 8 years which is an eternity for me to keep a toy.  It pained me to see it being towed away by the new owner, but the Malibu was a gigantic step up in quality, features, and all around boating experience.   

Both are great boats, and both will hold their value if well kept.  But I would not go back to Centurion just because I am so happy with the Malibu.  I have not been exposed to any other wakeboat manufacturer, and I probably never will be.

CharlieBeaU

I have had a great experience with Malibu and warranty claims on my '17 23 LSV. Nothing major just smaller stuff that should be right on a $100k+ boat. They've never denied or delayed a claim. I know our local dealer, Active Water Sports, has a lot to do with that but regardless of brand I think your warranty experience is really important. There are endless threads about how all wake boats are handmade. People are human and make mistakes. You're going to have a few on your boat no matter what brand you buy. I will continue to buy Malibu and buy them from AWS because they've always fixed my issues really quickly and kept me on the water. That's worth it's weight in gold in my opinion.

Raleigh
Posted (edited)

I found myself looking at ri257 waves vs 25lsv waves today. It seems like the ri257 may have a better wave for some people. Could be a bit longer, more push, but I want the wave to feel somewhat like surfing an ocean wave, with some give or feel to it. It looks like centurion would give a harder wave?

Also, the interior is really bad on the centurion. The dash looks awful. And unless you are a Spartan fan, who wants that soldier head on a boat? I'd be interested for a true comparison of them. No way I could trailer a 257 so maybe the 237 is the more apples to apples and I think the 25LSV wins compared to the 237. Now the 27 LSV... that would be an interesting match! 

Here's a nice site for comparing Malibu to other brands excluding Centurion. Malibu is the obvious winner in this equally "unbiased" review...

https://www.guinnpartners.com/boat-testing/ 

Picture attached doesn't have the wave maximized for length. As you can see the Centurion wave isn't very tall.

malibu-wakesetter.jpg

@lovetosurf how does the 25 wave compare to the fi23 specifically based on your experience?

Edited by Raleigh

Eagleboy99

Slightly tangential, but the wave of an MC appears better than the Tige to the surfers in my crew.

Chappy

It also helps when Jake weighs 140 lbs!  No way I could get back that far and stay there at 200 lbs!

G Spot
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Raleigh said:

That motor is roaring! Reminds me of the Raptor motor in my 2018. I've gotten used to the quietness of the M6 and I don't think I could go back to that.

Edited by G Spot

Five Cent Worth
17 hours ago, Raleigh said:

The dash looks awful. And unless you are a Spartan fan, who wants that soldier head on a boat? 

This times 100.  

I appreciate Centurion going all in on surfing.  And really appreciate them pushing the others in the category.  It will be interesting in years to come in how Supreme, three line ups of Centurion's and Nautique's all fit together.  Feels like overlap there....

Our local Centurion dealer drives a purple Aston Martin.  I am sure you guys may have seen it and his purple Centurion on IG.  Interesting in how they approach the market vs other dealers in the area.  

camcruiser13
3 hours ago, G Spot said:

That motor is roaring! Reminds me of the Raptor motor in my 2018. I've gotten used to the quietness of the M6 and I don't think I could go back to that.

look at the board size compared to the 130 pnd kid riding it.  of course he can get way back  take the same kid out on a 25 lsv and do the same test

808jaymakoa

I’m finally thinking about upgrading to my second boat. I’m leaning towards a 23 LSV but I’d live to look at Centurion but there’s no dealers in the Houston area so that’s out. 

Cmb396

My friend got an RI23 last year, and while it's a nice boat overall, the fit and finish doesn't seem to compare to Bu. I like the exterior styling of the Ri a lot, and the fill times are nice. He's had troubling dialing his wave in as well. Granted, my lsv23 has more ballast with my bags added, his surf wave doesn't hold a candle to mine. I'm no pro, but at 210lbs, I have a hard time going ropeless behind his Ri, the wave is long, but not a lot of push. Really have to work hard to surf ropeless, as to mine, you can ride all day ropeless.

vanamp
12 hours ago, Cmb396 said:

My friend got an RI23 last year, and while it's a nice boat overall, the fit and finish doesn't seem to compare to Bu. I like the exterior styling of the Ri a lot, and the fill times are nice. He's had troubling dialing his wave in as well. Granted, my lsv23 has more ballast with my bags added, his surf wave doesn't hold a candle to mine. I'm no pro, but at 210lbs, I have a hard time going ropeless behind his Ri, the wave is long, but not a lot of push. Really have to work hard to surf ropeless, as to mine, you can ride all day 

Thats whats nice about surf gate is its dummy proof but if you know what your doing I will take a centurion Ri wave any day of the week.  Its definitly my favorite wave out of anything I have ridden.  Its a little less forgiving becuase of the steepness but so easy to boost off of. 

Cole2001
On 5/21/2020 at 1:19 PM, 808jaymakoa said:

I’m finally thinking about upgrading to my second boat. I’m leaning towards a 23 LSV but I’d live to look at Centurion but there’s no dealers in the Houston area so that’s out. 

Ski dock in Austin sells centurion. 

32 minutes ago, vanamp said:

Thats whats nice about surf gate is its dummy proof but if you know what your doing I will take a centurion Ri wave any day of the week.  Its definitly my favorite wave out of anything I have ridden.  Its a little less forgiving becuase of the steepness but so easy to boost off of. 

100% agree. Surf gate can be dummy proof but it has its limitations. The centurion you need to have a basic idea of how the system works. But that is good because you can ramp it up super steep or you can totally flatten it down.

Capdoogie

So here is something to consider.   I would say 80% of all boaters go out on the weekend with other boater chop, wind chop, etc.  what the wedge does over the paddle flap trim boats ( centurion. MC, Supra, even Nauitque, etc. is the wedge sits under the wave chop thus holding your boat back end down through the rough water.  By doing this your wave is less likely to go from good to bad as you travel thru the chop compared to the trim flap boats who’s rear moves up and down with the wave and skips over the chop. I’ve surfed almost all boats by demo or comps.  Nothing compares to the BU WEDGE when in rough windy conditions and boat chop.   Also the marriage saver!   When your surfing and wanting to change things up,  you don’t have to scream orders to your wife over the music and see her and you get frustrated by her or you trying to change things quick. Just use Malibu’s remote surf wrist band.  You can control boat speed, wedge,  gate transfer and even how loud your music is while your surfing.  BAMB, MIC DROP. lol

vanamp
5 hours ago, Capdoogie said:

So here is something to consider.   I would say 80% of all boaters go out on the weekend with other boater chop, wind chop, etc.  what the wedge does over the paddle flap trim boats ( centurion. MC, Supra, even Nauitque, etc. is the wedge sits under the wave chop thus holding your boat back end down through the rough water.  By doing this your wave is less likely to go from good to bad as you travel thru the chop compared to the trim flap boats who’s rear moves up and down with the wave and skips over the chop. I’ve surfed almost all boats by demo or comps.  Nothing compares to the BU WEDGE when in rough windy conditions and boat chop.   Also the marriage saver!   When your surfing and wanting to change things up,  you don’t have to scream orders to your wife over the music and see her and you get frustrated by her or you trying to change things quick. Just use Malibu’s remote surf wrist band.  You can control boat speed, wedge,  gate transfer and even how loud your music is while your surfing.  BAMB, MIC DROP. lol

My next off season project is to find a way to display speed, wedge and volume to the rider.  I find surfband useless because of sluggish response and not being able to see it change or where its at.