Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dumb question for this audience....

Jasvols83

Which Boat

2017 MC XT23 6000GDI engine, every box checked: dock star, power tower (zft7), upgraded audio, 90 hrs

or

2018 22MXZ 410 engine, no major boxes checked (no heater, nor dock lights, nor underwater lights) AVC marine did do the sub upgrade with custom box and added 1 set of Icons to tower, beyond that base stereo. 55 hrs

Coming from a 2017 Axis T23 which we bought new and loved but recently sold. Had bigger plans on another new boat but the virus has changed those plans for us so now we are adjusting the budget. Boats are within 2k of one another on best price.

i realize my audience and I’ve had 3 previous Malibu’s so I get it but have been ready for a change of scenery so now be the time?

Edited by Jasvols83
Update Info

Personally, i would pick the mastercraft, given those descriptions.... but a big part of that is the mxz bow is just not our thing. 

• Like 2

I don't follow the MCs anymore but it certainly seems like a more loaded boat.  The decision for me would come down to 4 things

1)on water demo if possible

2)dealer

3)trade in (if you are trading it in)

4)colors

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Are you able to demo both?

Yes, I have been on both and have friends with both exact year and models. The Malibu wave wins flat out and I’m afraid I will miss the surfband if I went with the MC. Ride and handling the MC wins imo.

23 minutes ago, asnowman said:

He did say within $2k difference 

MC 2k cheaper so not a deal breaker either way.  The lean is MC but Malibu has been good to me over the years and hesitant to make a jump.  

ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, Jasvols83 said:

Yes, I have been on both and have friends with both exact year and models. The Malibu wave wins flat out and I’m afraid I will miss the surfband if I went with the MC. Ride and handling the MC wins imo.

Well I think you just need to answer what you most want out of a boat. Bells and whistles plus handling or wave performance. Let’s be honest, the “base” of a Malibu or MC isn’t really bare. I’d take into account exactly how @bamaboy described his thought process too.

26 minutes ago, Jasvols83 said:

Sounds to me like the experience of riding behind the Malibu will be better than the MC, and you are maybe looking for help justifying the switch.

My son went to surf/wake camp last year, the camp uses mastercrafts, nxt22's. Even the camp owner said he would prefer to have Malibu's on the dock, but dealer relationship keeps him with mastercraft. If malibu has been good to you, and you have a good dealer relationship.....

9 hours ago, Jasvols83 said:

Which Boat

2017 MC XT23 6000GDI engine, every box checked: dock star, power tower (zft7), upgraded audio, 90 hrs

or

2018 22MXZ 410 engine, no major boxes checked (no heater, nor dock lights, nor underwater lights) AVC marine did do the sub upgrade with custom box and added 1 set of Icons to tower, beyond that base stereo. 55 hrs

Coming from a 2017 Axis T23 which we bought new and loved but recently sold. Had bigger plans on another new boat but the virus has changed those plans for us so now we are adjusting the budget. Boats are within 2k of one another on best price.

i realize my audience and I’ve had 3 previous Malibu’s so I get it but have been ready for a change of scenery so now be the time?

With all of the used boats coming on the market at this time of the year AND with the uncertainty of this mess we are in, I'd say to keep looking for a better optioned Malibu.

I would say list your priorities from most to least, Demo, and compare the dealers of both. for me wave functionality and stereo are top of my list of  priorities on a boat. I have never surfed behind a mastercraft so im not sure on the wave. but  , avc did my stereo  sounds to be about the same and my family loves it!  i guess it really depends on how you use your boat. for me the docking and underwater lights are nice ( I have them but rarely use) but wont be a priority on my next boat.  wave , dealer, stereo are near the top of my list. just my .02

Most of the things you mentioned that the Bu is missing can all be added/upgrading but you can't upgrade the wave of the MC.
But if you're one that lowers and raises the tower daily the power tower would be a game changer, at least for me.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

If you spend a lot of time cruising, then you might want the MC.  I did not buy my boat to be a cruiser, although my G23 was a little better in the chop.  Because I like the surf wave better than my G, I am happy with the switch, as that is what we do more than most other activities.  

The real reason I switched was dealer.  Nautique dealer service frustrated me for the last time, so I walked.  My Malibu dealer has been terrific. Do these boats have warranty where you will possibly need to deal with the dealer?  

The boats are actually at the same dealer which is out of state. I have BU and MC dealers both local to me but they unfortunately do not have any boats in our adjusted budget. I am sure neither dealer is going to be thrilled to see me if I go out of market and need service which I do not want to do to them but current circumstances are pushing me that direction.

If I were you I would stop by both of your local dealers and explain your situation, be super open about them not having exactly what you're looking for. Doing this will help you in a few places, first off they might have a lead on a boat you're after, lots of dealers have customers or pro riders who upgrade every year  and haven't traded in yet, and if they have a buyer lined up that always helps.  If your local dealer doesn't have anything, it shows that you had initiative in wanting to shop local. This will also give you a feel on if the dealer is going to be accommodating if warranty issues do occur. 

Edited by Cole2001

What @Cole2001 said is great advice. My local dealer didn't have what we wanted last year when we wanted to upgrade, he told me go find what i want, and he would work on it too. Turns out he had boat on our lake sold, but not sold.... now its ours, and the the relationship is better than before with my local dealer. Sure helped when a ballast pump quit on labor day.... 3 phone calls and they met us at the gas dock to swap out the pump on a holiday.  Local dealer can help you if you let them.

• Like 3

When I purchase a preowned car or boat I make sure all the boxes are checked... I figure options are basically free or almost free when it comes to resale. Pick the model that is right for you then go find one for sale that you fall in love with  (and has all the options!)  So many used boats on the market right now.