Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

COVID-19 related closures

Chrismoe

Hello Crew,

I thought it might be a good idea to have a separate thread for lake and park closures due to COVID-19. Currently, lake and park closures are interspursed with other threads; perhaps this thread can be dedicated to just updates and information sharing related to lake and other closures

To open, I decided this morning to use the web form that is available to send a letter to our Governor here in CA. I figured it cannot hurt. In my letter, copy below, I focused on the health and wellbeing aspects of my suggestion to open lakes and state parks figuring that is what the Governor is listening for. I did make a small reference to small businesses because I also think, not sure, that the Governor is interested in the economic health of small business. By extension I figure if the lakes and state parks open, the dealerships will certainly benefit. My letter below – I redacted my last name.

To: Governor Gavin Newsom

Regarding: Boating in California State Parks

Date: April 6, 2020

Delivered via email

Dear Governor Newsom,

The purpose of this letter is to ask for your support to open state parks for recreational boating. During this time of crisis, I realize this request may sound short-sighted or even selfish, but I would ask you to please consider the following when making your decision:

·       Recreational boaters usually live in the same house (families) drive to the lake in the same car and spend time in a single boat.

·       Recreational boating is truly a social distancing activity; families are in their own boats and never come within 10 feet of another boat. In fact, you more likely to pass within 6 feet of a hiker on a trail than you are to come within 10 feet of another boat.

·       As you know first-hand, this is a high stress time for all Californians. Recreational boating is a safe way to spend time out of the house and release some stress. Additionally, for those Californians that are unable to hike, recreational boating is a great alternative allowing all of us to get outside, soak up some sun and breathe in fresh air – all while practicing social distancing.

·       There is also a significant economic impact of lake closures on hundreds of small businesses. For example, local marina’s depend on recreational boating to survive. Local marina’s sell gas and goods from small stores. By following the established standard set by banks, local marinas can easily institute “one customer-at-a-time” protocols that will ensure social distancing while allowing local marinas to operate.

While there are stay-safe and economy-helping aspects to recreational boating I realize you and your staff are very busy so I will stop here.

In closing, I hope this letter reaches your desk and that you please take some time to consider this request.

Thank you, Governor Newsom, for your consideration,

Chris

It may be a good idea for all of us to write our legislators asking for their support for our hobby and passion.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Chrismoe
spelling
  • Like 3

You state in your letter the reason that it won't happen.  What happens on the lake is not a big deal for transmission of the virus, but the park workers, store attendants and local businesses are the ones going to get infected or if they get it somewhere else, they can spread it to dozens of boaters.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

You state in your letter the reason that it won't happen.  What happens on the lake is not a big deal for transmission of the virus, but the park workers, store attendants and local businesses are the ones going to get infected or if they get it somewhere else, they can spread it to dozens of boaters.  

Hi TallRedRider,

This was also in my letter to the Governor:

"By following the established standard set by banks, local marinas can easily institute “one customer-at-a-time” protocols that will ensure social distancing while allowing local marinas to operate".

Chris

• Like 1
5 hours ago, audipwr1 said:

Sent thank you

Thank you audipwr1!

Let's all send letters \ emails to our legislators asking them to reopen lakes!

Chris

5 hours ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi TallRedRider,

This was also in my letter to the Governor:

"By following the established standard set by banks, local marinas can easily institute “one customer-at-a-time” protocols that will ensure social distancing while allowing local marinas to operate".

Chris

I feel like the boat ramp is where you find the world’s most oblivious least considerate people. Busy weekend with 20 people lined up... how do you get even the dumbest least considerate person to respect social distancing protocols?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I feel like the boat ramp is where you find the world’s most oblivious least considerate people. Busy weekend with 20 people lined up... how do you get even the dumbest least considerate person to respect social distancing protocols?

+1  But what would we do for entertainment without them?  :)

8 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Not sure what your boat ramps are like, but you don't get within 20 ft of anyone at ours unless the DNR is inspecting your boat.

3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Not sure what your boat ramps are like, but you don't get within 20 ft of anyone at ours unless the DNR is inspecting your boat.

Every lake we go to has a ramp and a short dock/tie up area.  The dock generally splits the lanes of the ramps.  When we launch, my wife is in the boat and I bump the boat off of the trailer and she floats away from the dock while I park the truck and trailer.  So then I need to run back down to the dock to jump on the boat.  In the meantime the folks behind me (or ahead of me in many cases) are launching their boats.  Many folks seem to have their kids or spouse attempt to hold the boat to the tiny dock with ropes or bare hands while they park their trucks or do stuff like try to figure out why the battery is dead or why the 50 year old boat with 10 year old gas in the tank won't fire.  So our docks frequently have 6-8 people standing on them at any given time.  

I need to walk past those people so that my wife can ease up to the dock and I can jump on.  

Now I've only been on 10 public lakes in Northern Nevada and Northern California, but they all seem to follow this model.  On a busy weekend I've been 20 trucks back waiting to launch or waiting to pick up at the end of the day on a 2-3 lane ramp.  Our lakes tend to be "big" by midwest standards -- the smallest of those ten is 10,000 acres so they all accommodate (and attract) a LOT of people on a hot summer weekend.  Now add in a quick summer thunder/lightning storm where everyone wants to get off the lake at once, the ramp can turn into a bit of a cluster.

I guess if I were on Hulk's lake where people can launch your boat for you and then put it on your lift, I would be far less concerned.

Here there is usually one launch lane, and if there are 2 then there is a dock on each side.  On the launch area that we use most frequently on lake Minnetonka there is also a courtesy dock where you can tie up to, so theoretically you could get close to someone - but it is typically just people sitting in their boats waiting for the driver.    We have tremendous numbers of lakes around here and a good chunk of them are gravel launches, so this isn't like the big reservoirs that I've seen pictures of out west.

Hi everyone,

I think we can practice social distancing at the launch ramp - it will just take some planning and coordination. Here is California we have many, many state park workers who could organize the effort and keep us (more than) 6 feet apart. Sure, it will slow down the process of getting your boat in the water but that is a fine trade-off if we can just go boating.

Chris

8 minutes ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi everyone,

I think we can practice social distancing at the launch ramp - it will just take some planning and coordination. Here is California we have many, many state park workers who could organize the effort and keep us (more than) 6 feet apart. Sure, it will slow down the process of getting your boat in the water but that is a fine trade-off if we can just go boating.

Chris

Sounds like the state park workers would be one concern.  The only worker you see at our launch is sometimes a kid who the DNR pays to check for zebra mussels .  Which is weird since they only do it on the way in - to a lake that is known to be infested with Zebra Mussels.

The workers are part of the challenge here.  Lake Powell was shut down in part because a couple of park employees who got the infection.  They do put themselves at risk taking entry fees, working with the public, etc.  For all I know the park workers got the virus at home, but even then, they risk giving me the virus when they rubbed their snot on my credit card.  When working for the government, I bet they still collect a paycheck despite closing down the lakes.  Why would they want to work? 

Page Arizona is a hot spot for the virus, BTW.  

Edited by TallRedRider
23 minutes ago, Fman said:

What about the California Delta? Is that also closed? That waterway might fall under different guidelines.

i believe it is still open, at least it was last week when i took my boat out.  

4 minutes ago, wilster said:

i believe it is still open, at least it was last week when i took my boat out.  

Hi guys,

Yes, the delta is open and some private boat launches are open. Being honest, I was hoping to not put my boat in delta waters which are a mix of fresh and salt water. That said, I just may and then really hose down \ clean up my boat afterward. 

Wilster - where did you launch from and what open water did you boat in?

TY,

Chris

An interesting thing they have done in Utah is to limit boating to only those who are from the local county.    They make you show ID at the gate.  If you ain't from around these parts, git out! 

2 hours ago, Chappy said:

Done, just emailed Governor Jay Inslee in WA.

Awesome. This will help all boaters and those in the boating industry!

Chris

Edited by Chrismoe
4 hours ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi guys,

Yes, the delta is open and some private boat launches are open. Being honest, I was hoping to not put my boat in delta waters which are a mix of fresh and salt water. That said, I just may and then really hose down \ clean up my boat afterward. 

Wilster - where did you launch from and what open water did you boat in?

TY,

Chris

Dirty Delta water also kills the Covid 19 virus:)

I wonder how long they will leave it open, surely Governor Newsome wont let people have any fun this summer.  Even though boating is totally safe for social distancing.  He said today on the news you cant even walk by someone on a hiking trail.