Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Siphoning gas from 23 LSV

With Covid 19 panic and CA closing lakes I am preparing to not be able to use my boat this summer.  I have fuel stabilizer in the fuel but would like to syphone out as much fuel as possible if the boat sits all summer.

Has anyone tried to siphone gas from a 23 LSV? The tank is quite a bit away from the fuel filler.  Was not sure if stuffing a plastic hose down the filler would reach the tank be able to pull fuel out?

I was considering this pump

https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Pro-XL-Largest-Diesel/dp/B01M5D2XZQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=gas+siphon+pump&qid=1586119428&sprefix=gas+siph&sr=8-4

Edited by Fman

On a 2010 forward it I set basically 6 Phillips head screws and pull the panel. You can access inside of the tank by pulling the fuel return line head and hose 6x 5/16” IIRC. Not a 17, but the same process.

DD95343B-F892-4E28-A78C-AEDC12109EE9.jpeg

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'm in @minnmarker's camp in that I just don't see it being worth your money or time (yet.)  If you're really worried about it I'd maybe make it a project for next winter but if you ran non-ethanol it's really not an issue IMHO.

• Like 2

On my 2004 to get all the fuel out, I hot wired the fuel pump to run and pump the gas out that way.  Not sure it there is a way to access the fuel pump or the fuel pump wiring easily on a 2017.  No need to buy a pump this way and you will get most of it out too.

I've never had a problem siphoning via the filler hole. Just have to twist the tubing as your pushing to get around bends.  I also tilt the trailer to the side I'm on.

I have had issues with gas going bad in my motocross bike within six motnhs that has had stabilizer in it.  California uses crappy fuel, I believe it does have ethanol in it (not 100% sure on this) so I thought I would try and extract as much out of the tank as possible to add fresh fuel.  I have about 10-15 gallons in the tank right now.