Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rockford P300x2 - no sound

Lakemurrayskier

Anyone ever have one of the amps go out but still show a power light?  My Rockford P300x2 that powers the 12" sub in my 2014 23LSV shows power light and getting just shy of 12v at the amp with it not cranked (New batteries).  I pulled the sub out of the box and wired the sub directly to another amp and got some sound so i don't believe it is the Sub itself.  The RCA wires aren't long enough to move them from another amp to the P300x2 to test it that way.  Anything else I should be doing to test it before I buy a new amp?

Thanks

Ryan

Edited by Lakemurrayskier
7 minutes ago, Lakemurrayskier said:

Anyone ever have one of the amps go out but still show a power light?  My Rockford P300x2 that powers the 12" sub in my 2014 23LSV shows power light and getting just shy of 12v at the amp with it not cranked (New batteries).  I pulled the sub out of the box and wired the sub directly to another amp and got some sound so i don't believe it is the Sub itself.  The RCA wires aren't long enough to move them from another amp to the P300x2 to test it that way.  Anything else I should be doing to test it before I buy a new amp?

Thanks

Ryan

Low hanging fruit are checking the rcas and speaker wire from amp to the sub box. 

Thanks - yes - did both of those and even tried to unplug RCA from the P400x2 and take a jumper RCA to extend over to the P300x2.  Didn't have a female to female adapter so hard to tell if just touching the male ends of the RCA jumper cable worked or not??  I didn't get sound out of the sub that way so my makeshift jumper either didn't work or it proves the amp is bad I guess?

Try a 3.5mm to rca splitter out of your phone for the source input?  Just a different known-good input. 

then hook up some other speaker with different speaker wire. 

• Like 1

Good call @shawndoggy. I hooked another source input into that amp and do get sound out of the subwoofer.  

So I'm thinking that tells me it's not the amp or the speaker or speaker wire. Can just 1 output on the black box go bad? I guess I'm doubting that it is just a bad RCA cable.

I wouldn't doubt it's a bad RCA.  And that would be cheap and easy to double check, especially if you are like me and have a box of random RCAs, HDMI cables, etc somewhere.  Just one of those cheap black ones to hook up a tape deck or a turn table to your home receiver would be fine to test the issue.

I guess the other "duh" thing to check is to make sure that the sub output on the black box didn't get turned down all the way by accident?  

Edited by shawndoggy

So I took the RGX5000 off and got to the gray tip RCA which according to the diagram is the sub. Unhooked it and hooked different RCA directly to the amp with no luck. I did notice on my RFX MR5BB that sub was set to off. I turned it to on but that didnt do anything either. 

Yes. If I hook up the the P400x2 pass thru it works.

Does that confirm a bad RFX5000?

And is there any issue running it in pass through mode?

Edited by Lakemurrayskier
6 minutes ago, Lakemurrayskier said:

Yes. If I hook up the the P400x2 pass thru it works.

Does that confirm a bad RFX5000?

And is there any issue running it in pass through mode?

sure seems like it confirms that your sub output isn't working on your black box.

There are a few "issues" (not really issues at all) with running pass through mode:

1. make sure that your sub amp's crossover is set to low pass.  It could be set to full (no crossover at all) if it's relying on a crossed over sub output from the RFX (it has been a while since I've played with a black box so forgive me ... I can't remember if the sub output is a full range mono signal or a low passed signal).

2. you lose the ability to control the output of the sub from the back box (if your sub amp will take a wired remote, that could be a work around)

3. your sub's output is going to be governed by the signal going into whatever amp's output you are using. So for instance, if you are using the output from the cabin amp, if you fade the speakers all the way to your tower amp, then your cabin amp will have no signal to pass through to your sub amp.  Hope that makes sense.

• Thanks 1

@shawndoggyThanks so much for your help.  Really appreciate it.   I'll  check the low pass option on the P300x2 and see what I find and try to make sure it is adjusted correctly.  Looks like it is all stock as the warranty stickers on here haven't been removed yet to tweak the amps.  Looks like a lot of folks have done that to get better sound out of their stock so I guess I'll learn about that and tackle it one day.

Thanks again brother!!

21 hours ago, Lakemurrayskier said:

getting just shy of 12v at the amp with it not cranked (New batteries). 

This is an issue for me. New batteries should have at least 12.8 AT the amp terminals. Whats the voltage at the other amps? if they are lower then battery voltage, there is an issue with the trunk supply B+ and B-. Of its just the suspect amp, then its an issue with its branch B+ or B- from the distribution blocks. Low voltage makes electronics do unpredictable things.