Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 monsoon belt

Anyone know a part number for a tensioner belt for a 2001 monsoon? Can’t find it in the search area. Thanks

Does your engine have more than one belt?  I have a 99 VLX with a Monsoon and I have only one belt.  It's a "V" belt.  The replacement belt I bought is the Indmar 725018 V Belt (search it on bakesonline.com).  I actually bought it from my local dealer (same 725018 number) and in their inventory list it is called a serpentine belt BUT I don't think that's exactly correct.  

My "v-belt" goes around the crank shaft and the alternator and whatever turns the water pump (3 pulleys).  It goes around all of them like in a circle-ish, i.e. not like a serpentine belt.

Does that help?

5 hours ago, wakesetterDD said:

My "v-belt" goes around the crank shaft and the alternator and whatever turns the water pump (3 pulleys)

Same here. My 03 monsoon also has one belt. 725018. No tensioner 

@tbonemalibu I suspect you have the same problem I have.  I got so sick of having issues with belt tension that I upgraded to a ribbed belt with a kit similar to this one.  Much more belt surface area for the pulleys so you don't need such a huge amount of tension to keep the belt from slipping.

13 minutes ago, formulaben said:

@tbonemalibu I suspect you have the same problem I have.  I got so sick of having issues with belt tension that I upgraded to a ribbed belt with a kit similar to this one.  Much more belt surface area for the pulleys so you don't need such a huge amount of tension to keep the belt from slipping.

I've never had an issue with the belt in my 99 RLX.  Last one was from Napa.

Yea I don’t know why I wrote tensioner. I just need a new belt. Thanks everyone I’ll get one this morning. It’s started squealing real bad on the lake yesterday so I knew it was time. 

• 2 years later...

I've got a 2002 Sunsetter v-drive. I believe the belt hasn't been changed and want to replace it. It looks in good condition but can't imagine it lasts forever. I have a replacement belt but am unsure about any tricks for tensioning it one replaced.

Are there any pearls or tricks to the tensioning? Do I need another special tool to accomplish this?

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, mnmarty said:

I've got a 2002 Sunsetter v-drive. I believe the belt hasn't been changed and want to replace it. It looks in good condition but can't imagine it lasts forever. I have a replacement belt but am unsure about any tricks for tensioning it one replaced.

Are there any pearls or tricks to the tensioning? Do I need another special tool to accomplish this?

Thanks.

The only way to change the belt or adjust tension is by rotating the alternator on its fixed axis.  You can use a bar to help add tension, but you don't want to add too much because it will put stress on the bearings.  You should be able to push hard with your thumb on the middle of the belt and get it to deflect about 1/2" - 3/4" or so when it is tight enough.  If it squeaks, tighten it a bit more.

Thanks for the tips. Just wondering if anyone has seen a video on this. I'm just worried I won't be able to tighten it enough and not sure were to place a bar to add torque/tension before tightening the bolt. I've got a V-drive, so access is always an issue.

For me, if there is no tensioner bolt on the brackets I just grab the alternator from the underside with one hand and tighten the sliding bolt with the other.  You don't need a ton of tension on it.  With a v drive it should be pretty easy to do if you pull the compartment panel and just stand in the compartment.

29 minutes ago, mnmarty said:

Great! I was thinking I needed a huge amount of tension. If you can do by hand and then tighten it, I should too.

Sorry, my reply about a bar was not because you need a lot of tension.  You might need a bar because the upper bracket might not have exactly the right spacing for your alternator body, so it can fit really tight. 

If you loosen the (I think) two upper bolts slightly and the lower slide bolt and find that the alternator does not want to move easily, you'll know that hitting it with your purse is the next correct action.  Since it is hard to get your purse under the alternator to tighten the new belt, a short bar (or even a 1X2) can give you enough lift to get it to move again.

The bottom line is that it depends on which bracket you have and whether it uses one upper bolt or two.