Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu GX Tower Question

djheywood

Can someone with a GX tell me when it folds, is there anything above the windshield?  Do you have 4 REV 10s on it?  I just got my 2020 MXZ 23 and its too tall, the REV 10s stick up pretty high, in addition to the folding point of the base.  Wondering how the speakers sit in relation to the top of the windshield when folded?

Thanks

Brian

Thanks for the reply.  I was at the shop today and we put one down and took a look.  The Bimini resting on top of the windshield looked to be the tallest part, assuming I remove the rack mounts.  Per the Malibu specs its 4.5" lower than the G3 without a rear hoop, which is what I need to fit.  

Waiting for the dealer to tell me how we go about swapping towers.

Thanks for the reply.

10 hours ago, djheywood said:

Can someone with a GX tell me when it folds, is there anything above the windshield?  Do you have 4 REV 10s on it?  I just got my 2020 MXZ 23 and its too tall, the REV 10s stick up pretty high, in addition to the folding point of the base.  Wondering how the speakers sit in relation to the top of the windshield when folded?

Thanks

Brian

Screenshot_20200404-205851_Edge.thumb.jpg.814edcd96bbafaf59215288ea3773d1a.jpg

The rack mounts(with the racks removed) are the highest points. They are above the windshield but not by much. Certainly a lot. lower than a G3.5 even with the tow bar removed. 

1 hour ago, djheywood said:

Awesome thanks for the picture.  That’s exactly what I need!

Note that in that photo the rack mounts are in the lower position (where they are mounted from the factory.)  I moved them up to the top mount location shortly after that photo (where I have always had them on my boats... MUCH prefer the boards to be up and out of the way)  When you move the mounts to the upper position on the Gx the upper position you gain another 2-3 inches of clearance when folded.

Edited by gregtay

Do you have speakers on your tower?  The one at the shop had 4 Rev10s, and it seemed that it didn't go quite as low as yours, although it still went low enough for what i'm going to need.

1 hour ago, djheywood said:

Do you have speakers on your tower?  The one at the shop had 4 Rev10s, and it seemed that it didn't go quite as low as yours, although it still went low enough for what i'm going to need.

I have 1 pair of rev10s. (they may not have been mounted yet in that photo.) Shouldnt effect the clearance even with four.  With 1 pair you dont need to rotate the drivers seat to lower the tower... With 2 pair you will need to rotate the seat but the tower should still lower to the lowest location. 

Screenshot_20200405-223630_Gallery.thumb.jpg.4a614c19ffa3b591c027c156dd5e0ebe.jpg

7 hours ago, djheywood said:

Great thanks.  Great looking boat by the way

Thanks.  My wife put together the colors this time and it turned out quite pretty:).

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2020 at 9:00 PM, gregtay said:

Screenshot_20200404-205851_Edge.thumb.jpg.814edcd96bbafaf59215288ea3773d1a.jpg

Have you been successful in putting your cover over everything for towing with the tower down? 

You have to specify if you want a traditional or over the tower (when folded) cover to do this.   My cover only works with the tower up but other folks have covers that work with it down.  

Gotcha. That sucks. Thanks. No way my sales guy knew that. We even talked about being able to trailer with the tower down.