Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

bad Luck schleprock

braindamage

I launched my new to me boat earlier this week. It was an adventure. Went to launch and did the normal stuff. Stay on the trailer while initially starting engine and check for issues/leaks. All good!

went home and picked up wife for a sunset cruise. We lack cup holders (project not yet done) so she just set the full margarita on the folded down glove compartment door.

Bad luck: Of course it spills, completely emptying in the glove box.

Good luck: it was entirely contained, and there’s a tray inside that we pulled out, so the cleanup was easy and quick.

get my wife a beer, then launch for a leisurely cruise. Enjoy the evening for a while before deciding to go say hi (and gloat) to my ski buddy.

bad luck: on the way one of the water supply lines comes undone. We discover when we see water running on the floor.

Good luck: I was able to make it back to my boat lift. Didn’t get stranded. No immediate sense that there is permanent damage to boat or motor.

I fix the water line and run the bulge for about 20 minutes while my wife and son cook dinner. After the water is out, I raise lift.

bad luck: the winch cable breaks about 1/3 the way up. BANG-SPLASH!

good news: no damage to boat and nobody hurt. It’s still light so we can put the boat back on the trailer. 

whew! It was the craziest first day on the water in my life. I should have lift fixed on Saturday and will be launched again!

Edited by braindamage

Dude, I feel your pain!  Every time I take the boat out something inevitably goes wrong, no matter how careful I am or how much I baby the boat!  Last trip it wasn't the boat but the trailer, I ran over something on the road to the lake and ruined a brand new tire! 

Just the breaks of boat ownership I guess, especially an older used one!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, jonthefireman said:

Dude, I feel your pain!  Every time I take the boat out something inevitably goes wrong, no matter how careful I am or how much I baby the boat!  Last trip it wasn't the boat but the trailer, I ran over something on the road to the lake and ruined a brand new tire! 

Just the breaks of boat ownership I guess, especially an older used one!

I know! My wife commented that something always goes wrong during the spring launch, but this one was particularly bad.:Doh:

Not to be the curmudgeon but your initial cruise does highlight the need to be diligent and thorough for your spring launch.  All of the mishaps were potentially preventable, remember that when our boats hibernate, or any first launch, there were many items loosened (hose clamps) and before the boat hits the water all should be checked and perhaps replaced.  Hopefully, avoiding the spilled adult beverage does not require a user replacement... 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Wow! You sure packed a bunch of events into one day! Glad nothing too major happened and no damage was done. 

It was packaged in less than 2 hours!

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Woodski said:

Not to be the curmudgeon but your initial cruise does highlight the need to be diligent and thorough for your spring launch.  All of the mishaps were potentially preventable, remember that when our boats hibernate, or any first launch, there were many items loosened (hose clamps) and before the boat hits the water all should be checked and perhaps replaced.  Hopefully, avoiding the spilled adult beverage does not require a user replacement... 

I know...that’s why I always check things before getting off the trailer. I suspect it was the pressure of running at higher speed that caused the hose to disconnect. I verified tightness of all the other clamps. That’s probably the lesson learned here.