Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 20' Wakesetter Pricing Help

Sandi

Good morning!  I have a 2008 20' Wakesetter and have no idea how to find a starting point for selling it.  Can anyone direct me to a website that I can get a value on?  I tried one that I found and was confused and overwhelmed by all the questions about things I don't know the answer to.  What I do know is 2008 20' Wakesetter with I think a 340 engine, speed control, new canvas, the seats seams are coming apart a bit, not sure how many hours are on the boat, but it was used in the summer months and holidays.  It is red and black.  I know my husband purchased it in 2008 new for $60K.  I am just trying to get a starting point, so I can offer it to the people who have purchased my home, and they expressed an interest of buying the boat.  Any help or guidance would be appreciated!  Thank you!  sandi

I think you might have picked the wrong year to sell a boat.  Good luck

Use one of the free photo services to put the picture of the boat on. 60K in 2008 for a 20ft boat doesn't compute though.  Even the VTX shouldn't have cost that much then.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

100% agree.  But I sold the house and the boat is in the well and I am just hoping to get fair market value.  I know there are people who will try and take advantage which is sad, but I'm just ready to move on.  I'll look for free photo service!  Thank you!

Looks like a vtx.   30-40k depending on condition, hours and trailer.  It is an undesirable tower, so that will scare off some people.   Clean all the scum off the hull and take a lot of pictures showing the condition of everything. 

If there is no trailer it'll be an even tougher sell. 

Edited by oldjeep

I called the Malibu dealer that did any work on it in the past, and I bought the cover from and they said it was a VTX.  I also found it out it has 463 hours.  The trailer has barely been used because boat has been in the lift for years. 

Thank you for all your help!

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Looks like a vtx.   30-40k depending on condition, hours and trailer.  It is an undesirable tower, so that will scare off some people.   Clean all the scum off the hull and take a lot of pictures showing the condition of everything. 

If there is no trailer it'll be an even tougher sell. 

I have an 08 VTX I paid 30K  QUestion why is this a undesirable tower?  Thanks

if you are selling the lift with it i would ask 35K - that seems reasonable.    That's a boat i wanted when i was looking but none were under 45 a few years ago

2 minutes ago, Todd199 said:

I have an 08 VTX I paid 30K  QUestion why is this a undesirable tower?  Thanks

Illusion towers are some sort of cast metal and have a nasty habit of cracking.  Not to mention the bushings.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Illusion towers are some sort of cast metal and have a nasty habit of cracking.  Not to mention the bushings.

This is true but I don’t think it effects resale or scares people off at all.   Most people like the look of them and usually are unaware of the issues.  Also being that the boat is 12 years old most of cracking issues have shown up or been fixed at this point.  Honesty a boat of that era with an Illusion tower will probably sell for more than one that doesn’t have one or an aftermarket.

I have an Illusion X and preferable look of it over the Titan towers offered during the same era even if the Titan is a “better” tower.

Edited by Cazan
4 hours ago, Sandi said:

The gel coat looks a little faded and you said the seats are tearing so I’d say it’s in decent shape but not good-great.  New cover is nice update. 

Maintenance records? Dealer serviced?  Those obviously help but not a deal breaker for an educated buyer.  

That hull seems to be pretty popular and having the Monsoon 340 is a nice upgrade.  463 is a average amount of hours for year.  I’d say 34-37 is a good range...probably closer 35 as “fair” deal.  Obviously conditions can lower or raise it some but 35k seems like a good starting point.  

Go on Onlyinboards.com and search for that era of VTX and you will get a good feel.  

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I think you might have picked the wrong year to sell a boat.  Good luck

Use one of the free photo services to put the picture of the boat on. 60K in 2008 for a 20ft boat doesn't compute though.  Even the VTX shouldn't have cost that much then.

I’d say 60k is probably close to what they were priced at in 2008 depending on when you bought it. 

Edited by Cazan
  • Like 2

If I were you, I'd ask them for $34K and absolutely wouldn't go any lower than $30K. 

Heck, if that boat has a cut diamond hull, I might bite at $32K (and I live in TX)!

22 hours ago, srab said:

If I were you, I'd ask them for $34K and absolutely wouldn't go any lower than $30K. 

Heck, if that boat has a cut diamond hull, I might bite at $32K (and I live in TX)!

LOL.  If they don't take the deal I have offered them, I'll give you a good deal and you can come to Lake Worth and get it.

• 3 weeks later...