Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stay home orders and boating

onwi

There is a group from Michigan trying to get the governor to loosen things in Michigan a little. In less than 24 hours this Facebook page had over 130,000 members. Now they have over 260,000. Have any of you Michiganders seen this Facebook page, Michiganders against excessive quarantine?
https://m.facebook.com/groups/4035375409821058/

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

My dad is the salesmen at a marina on/around Bay City. (I don't want to name just in case for whatever reason) He told me Saturday the State police were blockading the public launch and the DNR rolled down to the marinas' launch and ANYONE that had launched were getting the 1000$ ticket. From his understanding there was not any effort to determine if you were "mixing" company. Meaning if you were from the same household, it didn't matter. I don't know if it's been said here, but he was told it wasn't about boating, it was to keep people from the gas stations. How ridiculous. 

After all, if you pulled in with a sailboat, you're free to go. So it's reasonable to believe that it's because of fueling. 

It's due to their power boat rule not gas station, although that may be their thinking although most folks gas it up off the lake or via tanks at their own docks.. if marinas are closed who cares.. over reach of powers with petitions in the works.. bankrupting our dealerships and industry..

I'm sure MI will be the state complaining most for Federal tax bailout money shortly since they closed off all revenue/tax streams. 

All Michigan needs is a person or two stories how they lost their job, can't get food and their only way to eat/feed their kids is to fish on their power boat.. let it go viral problem solved overnight! 

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, The Hulk said:

It's due to their power boat rule not gas station, although that may be their thinking although most folks gas it up off the lake or via tanks at their own docks.. if marinas are closed who cares.. over reach of powers with petitions in the works.. bankrupting our dealerships and industry..

I'm sure MI will be the state complaining most for Federal tax bailout money shortly since they closed off all revenue/tax streams. 

If it's not about fueling, than why are non powered boats allowed? What's the common denominator....fuel. You can technically pile 10 people you live with on a sail boat. 
You have 3 people on a canoe. That's cool I guess. :Doh:

My dad said he heard her (governor) say that it's because of fueling, but I cannot confirm that. I haven't been able to find that excerpt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

If it's not about fueling, than why are non powered boats allowed? What's the common denominator....fuel. You can technically pile 10 people you live with on a sail boat. 

My dad said he heard her (governor) say that it's because of fueling, but I cannot confirm that. I haven't been able to find that excerpt. 

I've heard the same, but have also heard that it's a concern at the boat ramps.  Where's @Afun when you need some sperry's and a good boat ramp confrontation.  

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

There is a group from Michigan trying to get the governor to loosen things in Michigan a little. In less than 24 hours this Facebook page had over 130,000 members. Now they have over 260,000. Have any of you Michiganders seen this Facebook page, Michiganders against excessive quarantine?

I am a member of that group.  There's some good information there.  

• Like 3
Just now, The Hulk said:

I can see it now.. Michigan needs to double gas tax from Lost revenue of low prices and shut downs haha 

Michigan just need to spend its gas tax on what its meant for. They want to raise it big time but still only a small part to be used on roads and infrastructure. If you collect a tax for something it should be used for it! 

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I've heard the same, but have also heard that it's a concern at the boat ramps.  Where's @Afun when you need some sperry's and a good boat ramp confrontation.  

Then close the boat ramps. "shrug"

That's my point. 

6 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

I can see it now.. Michigan needs to double gas tax from Lost revenue of low prices and shut downs haha 

HAHAHAH TOTALLY RIGHT! 

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Ryan1776 said:

My dad is the salesmen at a marina on/around Bay City. (I don't want to name just in case for whatever reason) He told me Saturday the State police were blockading the public launch and the DNR rolled down to the marinas' launch and ANYONE that had launched were getting the 1000$ ticket. From his understanding there was not any effort to determine if you were "mixing" company. Meaning if you were from the same household, it didn't matter. I don't know if it's been said here, but he was told it wasn't about boating, it was to keep people from the gas stations. How ridiculous. 

After all, if you pulled in with a sailboat, you're free to go. So it's reasonable to believe that it's because of fueling. 

55 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

All Michigan needs is a person or two stories how they lost their job, can't get food and their only way to eat/feed their kids is to fish on their power boat.. let it go viral problem solved overnight! 

52 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

It is 100% about gas stations. It says it right in the notice/faq on the Michigan state government site. They state it’s to stop people from getting fuel and if something breaks going to buy parts. Which is hypocritical because they already closed all non essential boat stores so you can’t buy parts anyway. It’s ridiculous but what are you going to do other than hope the people protesting it actually change it?

It also states that people were not following the household rule about only household members can be in the same boat and people were not following social distancing rules at launches. We did witness people on our lake party barging it up so I’m not surprised on that point. I don’t know if I believe the launch part. I’ve launched all over the state and people don’t just hang out...

https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98810-525445--,00.html

4FD00831-CD3F-4491-84D7-C5AA3A95E772.thumb.png.d9524547831561ba09e312b4708f9906.png
5336D301-87BD-4084-BC3A-3B8685CD7386.thumb.png.da1cbfc9a88f35bca4db1969bbc8699b.png

2 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I'm on it.  :)

3 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

btw, since I live at the most southern boarder of MI near Toledo, OH, we "motorboat" mostly in OH.  yep, I dunked her on Saturday and cops at the ramp just waived at us.  So the REAL question is, is the OH state police/DNR/Coast Guard going to do something for me launching at our local boating place in another state?  MI lakes are like an hour away from where I live, so that would require more fueling for the truck even if I tried to boat in MI waters.

Saturday I realized I was human again!

river2.jpg

River1.JPG

Where did you put in?  I haven't tried yet because of all of the rain, but want to get out soon.

6 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

btw, since I live at the most southern boarder of MI near Toledo, OH, we "motorboat" mostly in OH.  yep, I dunked her on Saturday and cops at the ramp just waived at us.  So the REAL question is, is the OH state police/DNR/Coast Guard going to do something for me launching at our local boating place in another state?  MI lakes are like an hour away from where I live, so that would require more fueling for the truck even if I tried to boat in MI waters.

Saturday I realized I was human again!

river2.jpg

River1.JPG

All of the sudden I have an unexplainable craving for chocolate milk. :crazy:

7 minutes ago, ajf4242 said:

How cold was the good ole Maumee River?

Air 60 / water 55.  I would have dropped my board in with drysuit but wife still isn't ready to pull me.  Still too timid :(

7 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

Where did you put in?  I haven't tried yet because of all of the rain, but want to get out soon.

Cullen Park, mouth of Lake Erie by coast guard station

6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

All of the sudden I have an unexplainable craving for chocolate milk. :crazy:

@oldjeep I just think of it as driving in Willy Wonka's river, but much faster than his paddle boat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

FYI - Coast Guard cannot enforce state law.

yes, but since they patrol the river and can give tickets for other violations, it was a piece of mind to call them too. :)

23 minutes ago, Woodski said:

human interaction at gas stations,

Up here, at the marinas there is limited parking and you have to pump your own gas. Easy to stay meters away from others.