Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stay home orders and boating

onwi

3 minutes ago, MNNewb said:

When we do get the boat in we will be strictly family only.  That's my wife and I with zero exceptions for us.  Which brings me to my newest challenge. 

She's really new to driving boats let alone with riders.  Last year she started driving for surfers when an experienced driver + spotters were there.  She's getting better and gaining confidence.   We're legal to run a driver+rider as long as we have a mirror.  Something I've only done with my dad when the lake is not busy.  Starting to jones about taking a ski in a few weeks but......  Different proposition for her to driver solo with a mirror only.  Hoping we can ease into into it with some riderless training runs.

Speaking from experience - whatever she does when she drives at first, just take it.   My wife was not very open to suggestions when she started but is now a great driver both on/off the trailer and towing me skiing.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, MNNewb said:

She's really new to driving boats let alone with riders.

Be nice, don't expect smooth pickups when surfing or perfect keyhole turns, and by all means have a speed control and set it before you leave the boat.

• Like 3

The season has promise here in Kansas. While the Sunsetter is still winterized from winter '18/'19 I am hopeful we will get out this summer. Last year was hard. The local lakes flooded in the early spring and didn't get back down to conservation level until the New Year so the boat stayed tucked away all year :cry: Today, the state parks are still open and the Army Corps has only closed Corps owned campgrounds and swim beaches. Let's hope the people of Kansas can be responsible and not ruin it for the rest of us.

@MNNewb - You have an opportunity to be the one that provides calm, low stress suggestions on how making the boating / riding experience as good as it can be.  There is no option to have her be coached by someone else.  Also, remember it takes a lot of practice to become proficient.  Always get on the platform with a positive thing she did for that set.  When you get ready for the next set ask her to try 'xxx' (which is the item from the previous set you would like to see improvement on).  Hopefully, that won't come across as criticism since the spouse / significant other relationship makes instruction the most difficult.  Also, many and myself included prefer to drive solo from a pulling the skier aspect since 'most' (and I actually mean darn near all) spotters tend to be a distraction rather than focusing on what they should be doing (not talking from an injured skier retrieval and that is something you need to consider).

One of the keys for the slalom gang specifically going through the course is the driver does not stare in the mirror, you develop a feel for the skier and proactive adjust the wheel for that to keep the pylon centered in the course.  Question -  what techniques do the surf drivers use to keep an 'eye' on the rider?

2 minutes ago, Woodski said:

Question -  what techniques do the surf drivers use to keep an 'eye' on the rider?

Isn't this why the seat swivels backwards?

(mirror in easy line of sight + spotters)

Yep, I get it.  I'm well aware or should I say I've been made well aware how welcome my advice is.  No, I'm not worried about anything close to perfect pulls.

The thing for me is that I've always thought not having a spotter should be reserved for very experienced rider/driver combinations.  With the current climate that is not available to me.  Hence the, "here's what's different in my boating" reply.

21 minutes ago, MNNewb said:

Yep, I get it.  I'm well aware or should I say I've been made well aware how welcome my advice is.  No, I'm not worried about anything close to perfect pulls.

The thing for me is that I've always thought not having a spotter should be reserved for very experienced rider/driver combinations.  With the current climate that is not available to me.  Hence the, "here's what's different in my boating" reply.

Sometimes you see the boat a half mile away and suddenly turning around.  As long as she doesn't aim for you on the way back you are good ;) 

We used to rent a place on upper roy for a week every summer until the owners changed.  Great place to ski. 

Edited by oldjeep
On 4/15/2020 at 2:17 PM, oldjeep said:

Speaking from experience - whatever she does when she drives at first, just take it.   My wife was not very open to suggestions when she started but is now a great driver both on/off the trailer and towing me skiing.

If you don’t take it,  she will not pull you ever again. I learned the hard way. My 18 YO daughter pulled me for 5 yrs. my wife is now starting to pull me again. But I take what I can get.😂😂😂

On 4/16/2020 at 10:22 PM, gregtay said:

Ditto. Heck.. my wife now has people wowed at her when she takes our 23LSVand plants it perfectly on the trailer in a 20 knot crosswind when everyone else has given up.  Not sure how she got so good.... the early years were... ummm.. rough. She hit a bunk so hard (square on) that she split it and had the boat sideways on the trailer a few times... but now I think she could out drive me.  These days I love to just sit and watch her magic:) and she gives me a perfect pull every time.

My wife also does loading on the trailer and other driving duties well. Perfect loading approach 95% of the time. Always "Good Job!".

• Like 1

I'm pretty fortunate.  My better half can back a boat down a trailer, pull me in the course, pull us wakeboarding and surfing and she does very well.  She's still getting used to the proper way to turn and get a downed surfer without swamping the boat, so all is well in my world on that front........

Now....if only we could boat in MI. 

Edited by Slayer

We have been a team for 30 years.  I drive the vehicle and my wife is the on off of the trailer boat driver.  She is great at it.  Now the 4 kids, son and 3 daughters,  all do it as well.  Given they all have more recent practice than I have, the last one that should be doing it is me....

I just started forcing my wife to drive last year because we ended out in the boat with my 3 kids quite a few times and I needed somebody to drive for me!   That is going to pay off this year for sure!  :D  Although, I'm up in AB and we just started getting ice melting weather.  2 feet to go!  :)

Edited by idiomkrone
  • Like 1
On 4/20/2020 at 9:29 AM, Slayer said:

I'm pretty fortunate.  My better half can back a boat down a trailer, pull me in the course, pull us wakeboarding and surfing and she does very well.  She's still getting used to the proper way to turn and get a downed surfer without swamping the boat, so all is well in my world on that front........

Now....if only we could boat in MI. 

Honestly though, these guys acting like they have to move a mountain to get their (extremely temperamental) wife to drive the boat straight. It's not THAT hard.

• 2 weeks later...