Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stay home orders and boating

onwi

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

So at no point should anyone hurt themselves and need to be pulled out of the water ;)

Knock on wood, that is definitely the plan.  I've made it through about 8 years of skiing with these guys where only one guy needed assistance after tearing a hamstring. 

I'm kind of messed up with this matter right now.  My dock guy can't move my hoist right now due to the restrictions / stay home order.  Also, I can't get my boat from the dealer.  So my workaround is I'm going to get some dock sections from our rental house and bring them over here.  I'm also going to bring the LXi over here as well and let it float in the water for a few days at a time so I can at least get out when I want to.  It's gorgeous here today and I'd love to be working from the boat.  

• Like 4

My boys are discussing a dock & lift installation business for local neighbors.  If they can put in 10 set ups it will bank them like $750 each, cash.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Slayer said:

I'm kind of messed up with this matter right now.  My dock guy can't move my hoist right now due to the restrictions / stay home order.  Also, I can't get my boat from the dealer.  So my workaround is I'm going to get some dock sections from our rental house and bring them over here.  I'm also going to bring the LXi over here as well and let it float in the water for a few days at a time so I can at least get out when I want to.  It's gorgeous here today and I'd love to be working from the boat.  

It sounds like the dock needs to be moved to clean the bacteria underneath to avoid a public health issue when the weather warms.  And, of course, you need access to the life-saving back-up medications stored on your boat in case of emergency now that you lack normal access to those medications due to the outbreak.    Wink Wink.  

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 2:47 PM, oldjeep said:

My normal riders all live in my house.  No issues - other than the 6 inches of ice on the lake.

Finally got around to looking at the news, apparently ice out was declared on Minnetonka yesterday.  Which doesn't mean the ice is all gone, it just means that you can navigate from one end of the lake to the other.  Boating season will be upon us soon.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

In the same boat, will be lucky if can get boat by may or even before memorial day if MI doesn't come to reason soon. 

Boat lift and dock dealers are currently shut down in Michigan.. on the way around it is if they hire amish.. or fly under radar but a few have said they are out looking. 

I think this pertains to mainly the inland lakes and not the great lakes though

I don't get it, tommys employee should be able to go inside and forklift your boat outside in that big parking lot, tip’em, leave with your baby. To have your personal property held hostage is insane, if you keep your distance?

This has been on my mind a lot.  My normal riding crew of 4 other guys all live in different houses.  I'm in my mid 30s, wife but no kids yet.  We've been super strict on distancing the past 3 weeks.  No one allowed in the house, avoiding public indoor air spaces, no take out food, washing and santizing in repetition etc.

I know one member of my crew has been very careful too.  Been thinking maybe his household and mine can form a trust pod.  It does help we're all transplants in our city and have no relatives we would be visiting or being visited by ever.

All this said, I'm in Utah and the state parks are closed to anyone that isn't a resident of the county the park in is.  There are no lakes in my country. :cry:

Seems like this season might be toast, unless they lift the state park rule.

Edited by theloungelife
spelling
20 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I don't get it, tommys employee should be able to go inside and forklift your boat outside in that big parking lot, tip’em, leave with your baby. To have your personal property held hostage is insane, if you keep your distance?

Fully agree. So a few guys in the shop 50ft apart getting boats ready isn't ok, but a bunch of kids crammed in a pizza hut without masks coughing on pizzas for take out is all good.. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
28 minutes ago, theloungelife said:

This has been on my mind a lot.  My normal riding crew of 4 other guys all live in different houses.  I'm in my mid 30s, wife but no kids yet.  We've been super strict on distancing the past 3 weeks.  No one allowed in the house, avoiding public indoor air spaces, no take out food, washing and santizing in repetition etc.

I know one member of my crew has been very careful too.  Been thinking maybe his household and mine can form a trust pod.  It does help we're all transplants in our city and have no relatives we would be visiting or being visited by ever.

All this said, I'm in Utah and the state parks are closed to anyone that isn't a resident of the county the park in is.  There are no lakes in my country. :cry:

Seems like this season might be toast, unless they lift the state park rule.

Hey everyone,

I too have been thinking about this - considering all CA. state parks are closed until further notice. I talked to the owners of the local marina and after spening big $ on rennovations they are uber worried. It is these types of folks I am most worried about. 

For me, I think we will get an update about mid-april. And, I am hoping the update will include some sort of restriction lifting - perhaps May 1st. Fingers crossed!

Chris

I agree Chris.  It's way too early to tell yet.  I've been checking projections for UT and it's supposed to climax late April.  Also feel for all the affected businesses.

On 4/1/2020 at 3:11 PM, UWSkier said:

D43C10A2-E133-4257-9CED-BAEE21E9C606.jpe

What state did this poster come from?

My buddies that I foil with want to go this weekend but I’m hesitant. One has been working from home the past couple weeks, I’ve been using sick time but may have to go back next week, and the other is a auto mechanic and has been working. I hardly ever get to ski when on my boat which is no big deal because I go with friends a couple times a week. This is going to suck!

1 hour ago, Pnwrider said:

FWIW, Washington just extended the shelter in place until May 4th. It does seem dumb you guys can’t get your boats back. 

Based on the current weather the inability to go boating hasn't been a huge issue.. but if the weather flips and we get some nice days it is going to be really tough not being out on the water.

We’ve been at our river house since March 18th.  As teachers, my wife and I, have an extended summer vacation.  The last week temps have been in the 80’s, water at 64.  Surfed everyday for the last 8 days.  Just my wife and two girls on the boat.  Haven’t come into contact with anyone for the last 14 days.  The river here is still very busy.  Pontoons are getting bigger and bigger.  You could pretty much do social distancing and still be on the same boat.

3 hours ago, jrvs23 said:

What state did this poster come from?

My buddies that I foil with want to go this weekend but I’m hesitant. One has been working from home the past couple weeks, I’ve been using sick time but may have to go back next week, and the other is a auto mechanic and has been working. I hardly ever get to ski when on my boat which is no big deal because I go with friends a couple times a week. This is going to suck!

not sure.  @wakefrankNL posted it, but I've also seen it on the Malibu Instagram acct.

My best ski buddy and I will be out. I figure it meets the “no more than 10” rule here in Wisconsin. He and his fiancée both work from home and I’m confident they are being pretty strict about the quarantine.

we put in all the docks/hoists last weekend.

Edited by braindamage
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Dont blame Tommys, they may get in trouble if they open. Here in St. Louis they started sending letters out to businesses that arent essential and they can get fined if they open. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Tommy’s told me yesterday that they are not even supposed to be in the building let alone doing any work in Michigan. I live and work in Indiana and my lake house is in Michigan. The closest boat dealer to me is a Nautique dealer about 2 minutes from my office in Indiana. They said they are closed but they are are delivering boats until they are told otherwise.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, COOP said:

Dont blame Tommys, they may get in trouble if they open. Here in St. Louis they started sending letters out to businesses that arent essential and they can get fined if they open. 

Good point!  Just sucks...

I was going to say that my plans are to get out next weekend with wife and son, however, these days planning a week in advance seems silly.

Dock is in.  Boat is home.  Of course, it's nice today (but I'm working all day), rain tomorrow and then 30's and 40's for the next 7 to 10 days.

2020 spring boat.jpg