Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stay home orders and boating

onwi

How are you all approaching boating during safer at home?  Wisconsin has said they approve of people getting outside.  Wisconsin's DNR has also said they encourage fishing to continue.  I'd obviously be okay taking my family out (wife, 1 year old, 3 year old - no way I don't have their germs the boys are messy monsters).  We've been together in the house for going on 3 weeks. 

But my riding buddy is a doctor with a broken hand. He's also been quarantined for 2 weeks.  So I know we are all clear of the virus.  I'm not sure where to draw the line.  

How are you all approaching this?

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

My normal riders all live in my house.  No issues - other than the 6 inches of ice on the lake.

WI River and most of the lakes on it are open! 

39 minutes ago, AxleGrease99 said:

WI River and most of the lakes on it are open! 

Balsam Lake still has (I'm guessing) 2 feet of ice.  I predict ice out April 7 - 15.

22 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

This is what I've been doing.  It sucks since boating/skiing is something I do as "me time" with friends, never with my wife.  Means I never go out.  I have been taking conference calls from the boat in the garage though.  :)

D43C10A2-E133-4257-9CED-BAEE21E9C606.jpe

That is what I do too. Just wife and kids. Aka my regular crew. Any outside crew is not coming on board at this time. Here in Holland it is also the social distance rules etc. Marina is still open thank goodness. And no ice on the river 😁

'No guests on your boat!' except 'immediate household or your closest boating buddies'.  So family and friends only? Doesn't seem overly restrictive.    

5 minutes ago, John I. said:

'No guests on your boat!' except 'immediate household or your closest boating buddies'.  So family and friends only? Doesn't seem overly restrictive.    

I think you should give that section another read.  I read that as "even your closest boating buddies are not allowed unless they live in your house."

26 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I think you should give that section another read.  I read that as "even your closest boating buddies are not allowed unless they live in your house."

That makes more sense. Certainly could have been worded differently.  

If I can actually get my boat into my lake at some point, I've already planned with my ski buddies that I will bring one of my kids as a spotter and l pull them from their dock, around the lake and back to their dock.  I'll wipe the handle as it's coming back into the boat.

Also time for my son to learn how to pull a skier, in case my wife doesn't want to drive for me.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Badger said:

If I can actually get my boat into my lake at some point, I've already planned with my ski buddies that I will bring one of my kids as a spotter and l pull them from their dock, around the lake and back to their dock.  I'll wipe the handle as it's coming back into the boat.

Also time for my son to learn how to pull a skier, in case my wife doesn't want to drive for me.

So at no point should anyone hurt themselves and need to be pulled out of the water ;)

Called the coast guard station yesterday as they are stationed on the mouth of Lake Erie flowing into Maumee River through downtown Toledo.  I asked these questions.  They told me boating and all public ramps are open and there are no restrictions at this time for boating with your family.  I wasn't going to ask "how about wakeboarding with friends", I knew what the responsible answer was going to be on that one :).  Fishing is still allowed our way, but we are behind the NW coast on this, so maybe closures are coming our way.

So, I'm taking the family out for a cruise on Saturday since the weather is slowly breaking...

• Like 2

it will be impossible to close our waterways ramps, so many to choose from where people go just to social distance fish on the pier,  best early season we have ever had with our whether since January,  just been windy s lot so going in a friends G on a lift quite a bit when it WAS chilly,  my little boat and Axis windshield not fun for spray surfing into the wind

on a side note the G built in lift system is the best thing since sliced bread as we have lots of silting on commercial waterways , occasionally he ties his boat backwards in dock to “dredge” the bottom with in gear prop, and a carriage lift would mean difficulty in launching 

Edited by granddaddy55

Saw this this morning. Kind of concerning.

https://chesapeakebaymagazine.com/md-clarifies-no-recreational-boating-order/

From the article:

"The state of Maryland went far enough to specifically forbid recreational boating, prompting questions about what counts as recreational"

"In Maryland, recreational boating is “prohibited until the governor lifts the executive order or until the State of Emergency has ended.” But, DNR notes, if you are boating to seek food for you or their family, boating is permitted."

1 minute ago, COOP said:

From the article:

"The state of Maryland went far enough to specifically forbid recreational boating, prompting questions about what counts as recreational"

"In Maryland, recreational boating is “prohibited until the governor lifts the executive order or until the State of Emergency has ended.” But, DNR notes, if you are boating to seek food for you or their family, boating is permitted."

glad i left prince georges county in the 70’s,  left and right coasts are out of control

52 minutes ago, COOP said:

From the article:

So as long as I am surfing towards a marina that has food for my family to pick up I should be okay?.. right?

I think shutting down boating is taking things a bit to far.  I get it... too many people would take "boating is okay" and turn that into a tie up party with all their friends ;-/  But there shouldn't be anything wrong with taking the people I live with in my house and going for a ride on my boat... zero additional risk. (and I live 2 miles from where the US outbreak started and we are taking all of this very seriously.. so not at all downplaying the need for everyone to seriously limit socializing beyond people in your home.)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gregtay said:

But there shouldn't be anything wrong with taking the people I live with in my house and going for a ride on my boat...

exactly!!  What is the difference, none!

Thanks for all the replies.  I think at this time I'm going with family only.  The only way I'd meet up with my primary boat friend would be both boats on the water. I pull him while driving mine, he starts from his and vice versa. We never get in each other's boats. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, John I. said:

:Doh:

1 hour ago, COOP said:

From the article:

That would be really hard to do in MN.  There is a reason why our governor specifically included things like fishing/hunting/hiking.  It is so engrained in the culture here that trying to restrict them (beyond stay away from others)  would never work.

Ice out yesterday in here in central MN. A lot of moving pieces around this. First, I doubt my dock people are considered essential workers. Second, I know the place I store my boat is closed until at least next week. Third, with social distancing in order probably through part of the summer, things could get complicated.

Here's my plan. If it's the strict "Safer at home", then it will just be immediate family (wife and two kids)

If the governor lifts to a lesser social distancing than I may consider taking families on the boat. I would sit in the bow and they could be in the main cabin area.

I have told a few families they are welcome to use our boat without us. The boats insured of course, and sharing it brings me so much joy that it's worth the risk. I live on top of a hill overlooking the lake, so I have a very good view of everyone and everything on the lake. It's also a small lake, so nobody would ever be too far away.

Boating was not closed down here either. But it is restricted to family members only as crew. They did close the sandbars as some were gathering there. Not sure what the issue is if you are in your boat with your family (home household). I am sure I will get some some remorse on here that you should be locked up inside. But, I am practicing my Social Distancing 6 ft to 80 ft back ;)

T

• Like 1