Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Group Buys 2020 - Help me out!

Murphy8166

1 hour ago, Danimal154 said:

Hey admins,

I have a sunglass company and would love to offer the group a discount code if possible. Let me know how we can get that going. Thank you.

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Hmmm...Guy has a sunglass company and lives in Oakley, CA?  Could it be, lol?

That just sent me down one of those "work from home" rabbit holes.  Apparently Oakley sunglasses company was originally named after the founder's dog.

LOL, I thought the same thing, it's not Oakley though. He is in contact with me and setting up the discount codes. As soon as he's ready to go, I'll post it up. It's a pretty good discount. 

35 minutes ago, Badger said:

Hmmm...Guy has a sunglass company and lives in Oakley, CA?  Could it be, lol?

That just sent me down one of those "work from home" rabbit holes.  Apparently Oakley sunglasses company was originally named after the founder's dog.

Man I wish I owned oakley. If i did i would have a nice big mansion on the water in discovery bay lmao

2 hours ago, Danimal154 said:

Man I wish I owned oakley. If i did i would have a nice big mansion on the water in discovery bay lmao

Oakley is owned by the Luxxotica group out of Milan, IT, so I'm thinking a nice place on Lake Como with a Riva on the lift.  :)

40 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

BISON COOLERS will be offering us a 15% off code for one week starting on Sunday the 10th of May.

The owner is a personal friend of mine and they have never offered anything more than 10% which was on Black Friday.  

Here is the link - https://www.bisoncoolers.com/

More to come!

They have some very cool products. 

Thank you. 

On 4/27/2020 at 5:28 PM, ajive said:

If he needs another idea for an incredibly overpriced item to reengineer (no offense to the company who makes these, but dang, $500 for a piece of milled aluminum and some straps?)... https://hyperryddesigns.com/shop/ols/products/xr1-overhead-surf-rack

On 4/28/2020 at 11:05 AM, ajive said:

They look super nice, which is why I want them!  But if I'm basing the decision just on relative price, I'm sticking with my car top surf pads and straps for $60 to accomplish the same thing.

Like I said, no offense to the mfg intended, charge what the market will pay!  But even if sourced entirely in the US those are maybe $75 to make (and I'm being pretty generous there).  $250 each or $400 for a pair would make me, and probably a whole lot of others, a buyer.  High margin/low volume or reasonable margin/larger volume... Hence why I brought these up on the group buy thread!

I just figured I could help with this cost estimate.  I can't tell from the photos, but assuming that the instruction manual is 8.5"x11" paper, the rack is about 24"x30" or so.  The 10mm thick sheet of 6061 aluminum to cut this out is probably about $90 minimum.  The tube mount piece looks like it is made from 6061 aluminum rod about 4" to 6" in diameter.  That's about another $75 in aluminum.   If you are used to buying thin, little pieces of aluminum, you need to price thick or large pieces.

I'd make those things for you for about $300 per set, but they wouldn't be powder coated (well, I would never powder coat aluminum anyway) and they wouldn't have padding and straps installed, etc.  At that price, I may not even answer the phone if you have problems installing it yourself. 

Considering the work he has in those and the presumably limited quantity of production, his pricing looks spot on to me.

2 hours ago, justgary said:

I just figured I could help with this cost estimate.  I can't tell from the photos, but assuming that the instruction manual is 8.5"x11" paper, the rack is about 24"x30" or so.  The 10mm thick sheet of 6061 aluminum to cut this out is probably about $90 minimum.  The tube mount piece looks like it is made from 6061 aluminum rod about 4" to 6" in diameter.  That's about another $75 in aluminum.   If you are used to buying thin, little pieces of aluminum, you need to price thick or large pieces.

I'd make those things for you for about $300 per set, but they wouldn't be powder coated (well, I would never powder coat aluminum anyway) and they wouldn't have padding and straps installed, etc.  At that price, I may not even answer the phone if you have problems installing it yourself. 

Considering the work he has in those and the presumably limited quantity of production, his pricing looks spot on to me.

I'm just going to draw out some detail to check  myself... maybe I've been overly critical but I do have some professional experience in manufacturing.  Here is a rough estimate based on retail material costs I can quickly find online, assuming retail material is 2x wholesale, machine shop labor is $50/hr ($20 rate @ 150% overhead), and I'm doing a cut of 50 units...

48 x 144 x .19 6061 plate: $158 (should be able to cut 5, so $32 each)

45 min set up and 30 runtime (per full plate of  5 units) on a water jet = $6

Estimating $25 for the pad based on similar area of custom gatorstep I've purchased... I spent $75 on that order for a single program, setup, cut and ship.  This estimate is probably very conservative  @ volume.

6' 3" 6061 rod stock: $150 (assuming 5" ea, $11)... 6' of 3" 6061 rod is $300 on grainger

10 min set up, 2 min run on a chop saw = $2

60min set up , 15 min ea run on a multi-axis CNC = $14... I'm going to call this $28, an operator for this is probably well paid.

Straps - $3... I'm ignoring sewing cost, easy process and cheap equipment, I would just do this part myself if I was sourcing the rest

Other hardware - $10 (swag)

Packaging - $10 (swag)

So, that's $127.  I suppose my $75 production cost wasn't all that generous assuming it's made domestically (probably about right for Asia-sourced).  In my past life as a retail manufacturing engineer we did 1.35 x mfg=wholesale, wholesale x 2.1=MSRP, and MSRP x 0.85 = average sale price.  So that puts me at a grand total of $306.  

When it's all said and done, that would get you a gross profit of ~$9,000 for each cut of 50 units.  I suppose that's not really worth anyone's time once you factor in all of the boat show travel and promotional expenses unless they are able to sell way more than I think they probably do.

Fine, $500 is probably "fair" but I'm still not buying!

On 4/28/2020 at 11:05 AM, ajive said:

But even if sourced entirely in the US those are maybe $75 to make (and I'm being pretty generous there).  

Just FYI, you priced 0.19" plate.  The website says 10mm (0.384"), so double that price.  I don't have one in hand, but I also think that the rod was bigger than 3", so add to that price as well.  Also, you didn't allocate any time or materials for deburring, cleanup, powder coating, and screen printing.  Then add depreciation and supplies for the water jet, CNC lathe, and CNC mill.  Then add non-recurring expense (NRE) such as engineering design, stress analysis, etc. that would normally be priced at a few thousand units, but maybe a hundred for this item.

I wasn't trying to say it was the deal of a lifetime, but it's not any $75 part.  Oh, and it's on sale right now for $450....

13 hours ago, Murphy8166 said:

BISON COOLERS will be offering us a 15% off code for one week starting on Sunday the 10th of May.

The owner is a personal friend of mine and they have never offered anything more than 10% which was on Black Friday.  

More to come!

Believe I will be taking advantage of this one!  My wife can't stop stealing my Yeti tumbler.  Maybe I'll give her that and get a few Bisons.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:29 AM, Murphy8166 said:

WOW - this has really helped and I want to say thanks for everyone that has chimed in.  I have a list and I am contacting them all as best I can.

So far we have group buys going on right now for 

• Bling Sauce (formerly known as Boat Bling)
  • Hula Boat Care
  • Earmark Marine Audio (all your stereo needs)
  • PTM Edge

More coming this week

where is the info for getting in on the group buy?  If I go to the discounts tab, I don't see anything there for the Bling sauce or Hula Boat care?

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Unfortunately, up too early.  Way too much racing through my head today.  Thanks for the link.  Apparently I haven't scrolled down past the classifieds in quite a while.

• Like 1

Once again Odin has an obscene amount of my money. Happily that just makes me excited! Thanks Murphy. 

I have a new suggestion. PhenderPro’s with our logo on them. I had to get some recently and they are not at all easy to source without paying a premium. 

HELP!!!  I can't get in touch with Performance Boat Candy to save my life.  I have called, emailed and FM messaged.  If anyone has a connection over there,  please help me get in touch.

Performance Boat Candy group buy is about 10 days out.  They are stocking up b/c they know how hard THEMALIBUCREW is going to hit them!!!!!

More to come as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 6:34 AM, Murphy8166 said:

More to come!

did I miss this?

On 5/9/2020 at 7:29 AM, Murphy8166 said:

Performance Boat Candy group buy is about 10 days out.  They are stocking up b/c they know how hard THEMALIBUCREW is going to hit them!!!!!

More to come as well.

This going live soon?