Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fair discount to MSRP 2020 boats

audipwr1

2 hours ago, IXFE said:

The nationally advertised selling price of the MLX and VLX is already heavily discounted. You can’t apply a discount on top of a discount. 

CA3q0IvUYAAnUSc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Another thing to consider is that many commercial lenders, primarily credit unions, have slashed interest rates. So, when considering a loan over a 120 month period you will also see savings that way. And, this type of savings does not hurt our dealers that we are all looking to support.

Chris

When i got the add from Tommy's i started looking at what they had. I'm not in a position to be buying a new boat now since we are having a new house built(not a good time for that now either). I am hoping by the fall there will be a nice selection of 20's at 40% off so maybe i can jump into a used 19 at 50%. Would love to be in a newer 23LSV for 75k

Something to keep in mind for all you hoping and praying for the “deal of the decade” on a 2020...

With the factory closed and priority of future builds going to customer orders (which are generally 40% of factory capacity) it’s a lot less likely you’ll see a glut of leftover 2020’s next fall / winter. 

So now is the time to go grab that orange 2019 TXI you’ve always been dreaming of. :rofl:

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Take5 said:

Is it possible to cancel a custom custom order and get your deposit back if production has not started.

Depends on the dealer. If production hasn't started and they can repurpose the build slot then you may get lucky.  Some dealers take a non refundable deposit, other's don't. If they can't change the build in the system then they would likely factor in the build as well, if it is something "normal" the dealer knows they can sell then they may just let you cancel.  If it is some strange Pink and Orange build with crazy or missing options then far less likely to work with you on backing out.  

1 hour ago, audipwr1 said:

How enforceable are those non refundable deposits? For cars at least they are not at all 

Good question. I know in our state car dealers can not enforce a "non-refundable deposit" but at the same time I know that the agreement I had to sign for my boat order seems to indicate the deposit was truly not refundable.  So not sure if auto dealers are under different regulations (which is entirely possible.)  There are certainly some industries that can take a non-refundable deposit for custom manufacturing orders... just not sure where a boat lands on that.  My guess is most dealers would work with you can let you cancel and get your money back without too much of an issue (unless you ordered some outrageous unsellable boat.)

Side note:  A few years ago I placed an order for a Land Rover Discovery.. nice custom order with all of the goodies and the Td6 motor. It was about a 2 month wait for production/shipping and dealer wanted a $5k deposit to place the order (and they were upfront that it was refundable per the law)... but here is the kicker.... they made me sign something that stated I had 48 hours to pick up my new vehicle from the time it was delivered from the dealership or they will sell it to anyone who wants it.  I said no problem.. I want it, I will probably be here within an hour of it arriving.. but then I said "I travel a lot, I am guessing no issues if I am out of town on vacation or work travel, right? They said no, they couldn't hold it. It was sort of crazy, they went out of their way to make this point that even thought I was custom ordering and paying a deposit there was a possibility they would just sell it someone else and I had to agree to that. In the end I just walked out the door so turned off by the whole thing (and really glad I did, probably saved myself from many days of the thing sitting in the shop.)  

9 hours ago, IXFE said:

The nationally advertised selling price of the MLX and VLX is already heavily discounted. You can’t apply a discount on top of a discount. 

I think what you meant to say was the MSRP of all other boats is heavily increased and the vlx and mlx are priced somewhat appropriately. 

• Like 3

2020s will be a limited edition now.  Collector’s items that likely will appreciate over time I assume.  Also, likely garage queens as all the lakes will be closed.  

11 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

2020s will be a limited edition now.  Collector’s items that likely will appreciate over time I assume.  Also, likely garage queens as all the lakes will be closed.  

just like the 08s!

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

just like the 08s!

that was the '09 that ended up being rare! There were TONS of 08s produced that they couldn't sell at the end of the season.  I think they manufactured '09s from June-Sept and then shut down both the Merced and Tennessee factories.  So you won't find many 09's out there.   So if that were to play out again it would be the 2021 MY that gets killed early due to the glut of unsold 2020's in the market.

I had an 08... the factory shut down so they sent employees around the US (to peoples homes!) during the winter of 08/09 to do some upgrades on 2008 boats (gave us new MUX panels, etc.) They did everything they could to keep the workers busy. They also made a Malivue upgrade kit for my 2008 which Bakes installed so I ended up with a 2008 with Malivue (which didn't come out till the 2009 MY.)  

Let's hope it doesn't play out like that again... where every day the factory in Merced was auctioning off 2008 boats they got back from dealers that went out of business. :-/

Edited by gregtay
  • Like 2

As a customer you don't want prices to fall too much... that screw the folks that already bought in 2020.  Their is a certain dealer (Moomba/Supra) that was selling boats at the beginning of the year for $120K and 5 months later unloading boats for $80K.  My thought is that Malibu is extending the floor plan date for interest payments to help in this situation.  I am all for a good deal but if the prices drop too drastically it hurts all of us on resale side.

• Like 2

My 09 vlx was the boat that I used 2 years, put 180 hrs on it, and sold it for 5000$ more than I paid for it. In 09 the dealers lost their flooring financiers, like GE capital. If you had the money, and could buy a boat before they went back to Malibu, they were priced quite low.

Edited by surfdude
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, surfdude said:

My 09 vlx was the boat that I used 2 years, put 180 hrs on it, and sold it for 5000$ more than I paid for it. In 09 the dealers lost their flooring financiers, like GE capital. If you had the money, and could buy a boat before they went back to Malibu, they were priced quite low.

On my 08 23LSV (which I purchased at the end of the season when things were ugly) I used it for 11 years and sold it for what I paid for it. One of the best purchases of my life.  My 2019 cost me a ton more money but still happy with the upgrade. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Cazan said:

Got this email this morning from Buckeye Sports Center in Akron, OH. 

2BFBE50F-0994-4134-AC25-128F4A0881EC.png

What does that mean? Up to 10k off an M240? Sounds like a screaming deal! 🤔

On 4/4/2020 at 12:46 AM, gregtay said:

Im betting you could get way more than that off in a month or two from now.. if your willing to drive there will be some deals to be had this year in areas that boating is shut down. 

Just depends how many of the 2020s get cancelled, and how many dealerships go bankrupt with purchased inventory they need to liquidate. I'm curious what happens to MSRP during a bankruptcy? Are pricing minimums off the table? In good times I'm guessing Malibu would take it back or move to another dealer so pricing remains high? Anyone with any insight on this as there may be unbelievable deals if your ready in moments notice this year. 

On the other hand this year may be different from 08/09 in that perhaps there won't be a glut of extra boats and inventory may be limited so price remains relatively high but some killer incentives from factories.  

Edited by The Hulk
On 4/3/2020 at 11:46 PM, gregtay said:

It is just saying that the factory rebates are increased. Not that it is the total discount. 

The delta will be used boat prices are going to crater so the new pricing won't feel as much of a no brainer anymore. Sad to say, but many owners with boat loans will be losing their boats (which is horrible, but true). The banks in November will hold a huge auction of 2017-2020 boats and the prices won't be pretty. 

Therefore paying X for a new when used boat used to be 80-90% of X, if history repeats itself that will be 40-50% of X 

20 minutes ago, audipwr1 said:

The delta will be used boat prices are going to crater so the new pricing won't feel as much of a no brainer anymore. Sad to say, but many owners with boat loans will be losing their boats (which is horrible, but true). The banks in November will hold a huge auction of 2017-2020 boats and the prices won't be pretty. 

Therefore paying X for a new when used boat used to be 80-90% of X, if history repeats itself that will be 40-50% of X 

Bought our first boat (06 vride) in September of 2009, private party (no sales tax in NV).  Guy had a loan on it so I made out my cashier's check to the seller's bank, he said he was kicking in a little cash to make the loan whole.  Seemed like a good enough guy.  3 weeks passed and no title, so I called the seller.  "Oh my bad, I was out hunting, haven't had a chance to get to it..."  So then I called the seller's lender and punched in the loan number on the automated phone system.  Turned out that he owed $44K and I'd paid $31.5K, so he was upside down by over $12,000.  I flipped out... couldn't believe how stupid I'd been. Called the seller, called his wife, called his place of business.  He finally got back to me with an "oh.. yeah... uh.. I've been trying to work a short sale with the lender and it's taking a while."  He finally did get the deal done and I got the title but not after quite a bit of sweating on my part.  I'm always "hunting for a deal," but that one gave me a few grey hairs.

• Like 2

Not trying to be a doom and gloomer but California just closed down all public lakes indefinitely.  This will have a huge impact on boat sales this year.  I believe this might be the bubble breaking we have been talking about for years.

We can only hope this lake closure is short lived.   However, in CA they have created a Covid 19 panic and I wont be surprised if we dont have a boating season this year.

How can a dealer in CA sell anything if the lakes are closed?  They will be stuck with massive inventory all year.  On top of that no pro shop sales or service department.  How can they survive?

It will be a massive blow to the used and new boat market in CA.  This will be across entire segment, pontoons, fishing, cruisers, jet skis, etc...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2