Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fair discount to MSRP 2020 boats

audipwr1

I'm shocked that there are so many people even contemplating a new boat purchase this year.  I have serious concerns about the state of the economy, especially if this goes a couple more months.

• Like 2

I won’t share all the details, but there are deals to be had right now. I got in several days ago on the Tommy’s 40% off sale and put a down payment down on a beautiful 2019 23 LSV. That being said territories are a real thing in the boat industry and Tommy’s wanted to do the right thing by reaching out to my local dealership to see if there was anything comparable in their inventory including options everything from a boat swap to splitting the commission. My local dealership really wanted to sell me a boat, but their only 2019 wasn’t doing anything for me as far as color schemes and build out girl, but they did make me a fantastic deal on a 2020 that fit my ownership objectives. Both dealerships bent over backwards to make the deal and I really feel bad for backing out of the Tommy’s deal but it’s hard to say no to a pretty spectacular offer on a new model your boat. As far as Tommy’s boats go they were some pretty good looking boats left in inventory last time I looked yesterday. If you want to be put in touch with a sales person at Tommy’s feel free to DM me and I’ll get you in contact with Brandon at Tommy’s who was phenomenal.

Also this is not a plug to go rake your dealer over the coals, but if your dealer is really desires to make the sale it’s up to them I guess to give you a deal or consent to purchase out of territory.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, RyanB said:

I'm shocked that there are so many people even contemplating a new boat purchase this year.  I have serious concerns about the state of the economy, especially if this goes a couple more months.

General state of the economy isn't going to impact everyone the same.  there are some industries that will thrive during this time and others that won't really be impacted.  And then most likely there are a lot of people that are well diversified to the point that it doesn't really impact them all that much so no reason to not change the plan of picking up a boat.

3 hours ago, RyanB said:

Not to mention the spending mentality of America could change because of this.  We all kind of forgot how fragile the economy really is.  How many times have you seen "Gotta keep the economy rolling" with big purchases over the past few years.  This Covid panic could really put the brakes on people spending on boats, cars, motorcycles, etc... at very least for awhile until we all gain some confidence we are going to recover.  I feel for people who purchased a boat earlier this year, who would have thought we could go from the strongest economy ever to record breaking unemployment in a matter of weeks.  It is pretty mind blowing what has happened.

I am optimistic our country can pull out of this, hopefully sooner than later.  I have a lot of faith in Trump that he realizes the balance of saving lives and also getting people back to work.  At some point there has to be a compromise.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Fman said:

Not trying to be a doom and gloomer but California just closed down all public lakes indefinitely.  This will have a huge impact on boat sales this year.  I believe this might be the bubble breaking we have been talking about for years.

We can only hope this lake closure is short lived.   However, in CA they have created a Covid 19 panic and I wont be surprised if we dont have a boating season this year.

How can a dealer in CA sell anything if the lakes are closed?  They will be stuck with massive inventory all year.  On top of that no pro shop sales or service department.  How can they survive?

It will be a massive blow to the used and new boat market in CA.  This will be across entire segment, pontoons, fishing, cruisers, jet skis, etc...

Hi Fman,

Is this new news about CA. state parks being closed to vehicle traffic or just the most recent update? I looked at my local lakes website and saw an update but no new dates or scheduled updates. Even the state "flatten the curve" site is dated today (April 5) but no new news and I certainly did not see anything about closed indefininetly. Can you please post-up what you saw?

TY Fman,

Chris

Edited by Chrismoe
spelling
15 hours ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi Fman,

Is this new news about CA. state parks being closed to vehicle traffic or just the most recent update? I looked at my local lakes website and saw an update but no new dates or scheduled updates. Even the state "flatten the curve" site is dated today (April 5) but no new news and I cerntainly did not see anything about closed indefininetly. Can you please post-up what you saw?

TY Fman,

Chris

Yeah they are all closed 

15 hours ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi Fman,

Is this new news about CA. state parks being closed to vehicle traffic or just the most recent update? I looked at my local lakes website and saw an update but no new dates or scheduled updates. Even the state "flatten the curve" site is dated today (April 5) but no new news and I certainly did not see anything about closed indefininetly. Can you please post-up what you saw?

TY Fman,

Chris

Best bet is to go to the source

https://www.parks.ca.gov/

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30350

Edited by oldjeep
49 minutes ago, audipwr1 said:

Yeah they are all closed 

Hi audipwr1 and all,

I see all 280 CA. state parks are closed but this is not new news - they have been closed since March 31st. And, nowhere does it state closed indefinetely or even provide a date for when they will be open. Conversley, all state parks in OR. are closed until until Sept. 30th and there is clear documentation for the OR. closure - which I hope will be adjusted. 

Chris

2 minutes ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi audipwr1 and all,

I see all 280 CA. state parks are closed but this is not new news - they have been closed since March 31st. And, nowhere does it state closed indefinetely or even provide a date for when they will be open. Conversley, all state parks in OR. are closed until until Sept. 30th and there is clear documentation for the OR. closure - which I hope will be adjusted. 

Chris

Oregon state parks are only closed until May 8 but will be re-evaluated based on any updates to the governor’s executive orders.

50 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Oregon state parks are only closed until May 8 but will be re-evaluated based on any updates to the governor’s executive orders.

Hi NWBU and all,

I was referring to this post below which seems to apply to National Forests. Sorry for any confusion

9B7EBB4B-2E96-4A8F-83B2-859A7E5AD6AB.jpe

Edited by Chrismoe
1 hour ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi NWBU and all,

I was referring to this post below which seems to apply to National Forests. Sorry for any confusion

9B7EBB4B-2E96-4A8F-83B2-859A7E5AD6AB.jpe

I'm pretty sure they just tossed the Sept date out there so that they didn't have to extend it every week or two. Once things clear up they will rescind the order and open back up.

1 minute ago, gregtay said:

I'm pretty sure they just tossed the Sept date out there so that they didn't have to extend it every week or two. Once things clear up they will rescind the order and open back up.

Hi,

I hope so as well. I think the next 2 weeks will be uber telling. 

Chris

1 hour ago, Fman said:

I feel for people who purchased a boat earlier this year, who would have thought we could go from the strongest economy ever to record breaking unemployment in a matter of weeks.

Well those people have a new boat sitting in the driveway and that really is never a bad thing:)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gregtay said:

Well those people have a new boat sitting in the driveway and that really is never a bad thing:)

Unless they were directly impacted financially such as a small business owner, etc...

16 hours ago, gregtay said:

Lets hope we can all get back on the water this summer.  Today was the first bit of good news the curve seems to be stabilizing.

If MLB starts playing we have some hope!