Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Flip up Seat Back Error?

Doesn't make sense to me that these seat backs are not even. I see that the brackets are not mounted in the same spot and I don't see why the port side seat could not be higher. Anyone have a 2019 or 2020 that has the same thing or are yours even?  I want to check see if anyone has it even before I remove the bracket and drill it back. 

20200327_123520.jpg

I don't care what they look like when they are both opened at the same time, I actually want to functionally use it. I noticed because I tried to store something in the port side and it did not open all the way. It is rather difficult to put anything in because it does not actually flip up, it flips horizontal. I could just add another sub box at its back and forget it. 

To be more creative in using it I was thinking of creating a sub box with a step shape or shelf at the seat level to fit a box anchor in that location. I usually throw anchor from the front. 

Someone on here a few years back modified the driver side one to let the box anchor lay on top of the factory sub.  I can’t recall which member it was.  Hopefully someone else can chime in as there were photos of it.  

2 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Someone on here a few years back modified the driver side one to let the box anchor lay on top of the factory sub.  I can’t recall which member it was.  Hopefully someone else can chime in as there were photos of it.  

That is a brilliant idea.  The space is sort of useless as is.

Mine are both even in the up position. The left strut base looks to be located in the same spot as mine. I would look at the data on the both struts. They either installed a glove box strut instead of a longer locker strut or the strut base is installed too low.

ahopkins22LSV

I still wonder if they made a change so you can open/close the windshield with the seat back open. @dalt1 or @wdr, does yours hit the windshield if you try to open it with the seat back open?

Or it’s a mistake. They do make running changes all the time though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I still wonder if they made a change so you can open/close the windshield with the seat back open. @dalt1 or @wdr, does yours hit the windshield if you try to open it with the seat back open?

I'll check tomorrow if I remember.

Just now, gregtay said:

Did you gator step the bottom of your bow seat (or is that just stock?) Regardless, I need to do that to mine. 

That was scrap from when I did my 12 in Gator Step and they had to redo a large part.

12 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

10 years ago I would of thought the later. Now I think it is a crap shoot on what comes off of the line. I have a good 6” gap between the closest points of the seat and the window frame. And you can see the even level of the seats in the other pic. 

D34E6182-657A-46D3-84A4-6EF3EAD5E318.jpeg

67C34AC6-CA64-45C2-A150-6A2BEC3AC5B9.jpeg

ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, wdr said:

10 years ago I would of thought the later. Now I think it is a crap shoot on what comes off of the line. I have a good 6” gap between the closest points of the seat and the window frame. And you can see the even level of the seats in the other pic. 

Those are good pictures, thanks. Probably a mistake. I'd still be curious to see other 2020 boats. The VTX bow seat backs do not open, so I can't check.

All I will say is it is easy to make that statement about the factory, however if you have been to the factory you would see that they are organized in each step of the process. There are quality checks that happen at each station. I even witnessed them measuring gaps and alignment on our boat. Could it be better? Absolutely. Do mistakes still happen? Yes of course. Boats are 100% man made. Even in the processes that I look after in the automotive world that are 95% automated, mistakes still happen. Probably a lot more frequent than most realize.

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Those are good pictures, thanks. Probably a mistake. I'd still be curious to see other 2020 boats. The VTX bow seat backs do not open, so I can't check.

All I will say is it is easy to make that statement about the factory, however if you have been to the factory you would see that they are organized in each step of the process. There are quality checks that happen at each station. I even witnessed them measuring gaps and alignment on our boat. Could it be better? Absolutely. Do mistakes still happen? Yes of course. Boats are 100% man made. Even in the processes that I look after in the automotive world that are 95% automated, mistakes still happen. Probably a lot more frequent than most realize.

Its all good. Been there, done it, got the T shirts. It is an impressive operation with great people in place. My statement was primarily one of, "that the games of Craps is a game of chance" and that a Monday boat or a Thursday boat as they don't build on Fridays so they told me, may be put together slightly different than a Tue or a Wed boat. Not that the boats were crap. It is the same for all marks and I witnessed this first hand on a new FI 25 yesterday, yikes! But, it was still kind of disappointing to see the same time saving build practices that I saw on my 2010 on my two fold more expensive 2019.

10 hours ago, wdr said:

Just checked mine before coming in the house with same results , 6-8" at closest point.