Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5DI engine over heating

I am trying to trouble shoot a M5DI engine that is overheating. I have cleaned out the strainer and checked around the raw water intake. The dealer is slammed and said it will be 2 weeks or more before they can get us in. My next step is to check the impeller and replace if needed then  check the thermostat. Can someone tell me where these are located on the engine? A couple of pictures would be great.

Checked the coolant, it was full when the engine was hot. Now it’s almost empty so I will add more and check to see if that helps. I think I know where the raw water pump is, like you said in the back on top of the engine but still what to know where the thermostat is. Thanks.

Just follow the hose from the inlet on the bottom of the boat. That will get you to the impeller. I agree, at least if it’s the same as the m6, the impeller is on the top starboard side rear just under the engine cover. Follow from there to the heat exchanger to find the impeller shrapnel if yours has exploded. Was it overheating at a stop? Or while underway?

ahopkins22LSV
10 minutes ago, LR52924 said:

Ok thanks, You confirmed where it’s at. 
The boat was moving probably at 2K rpms for about 10 minutes before alarm sounded.

Is this the first time in the water this year? Is the valve on the raw water intake open?

Do you see (or smell) any coolant on the top of the motor?  There was an issue with early builds with the plastic engine cover interfering with the cap which allowed it to leak.

We have had it out several times this week with no problems. There is no coolant on or around the engine. The engine cover comes right off after removing the dip stick.

My money is on the impeller. The first run of impellers on these motors were bad. We a had a few that disintegrated so bad it looked like coffee grounds. The current correct part number from Malibu is E100090.

Edited by COOP
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, COOP said:

My money is on the impeller. The first run of impellers on these motors were bad. We a had a few that disintegrated so bad it looked like coffee grounds. The current correct part number from Malibu is E100090.

is that the same art in the M6 as well? i like having a spare on hand.

ahopkins22LSV
24 minutes ago, COOP said:

17 minutes ago, asnowman said:

is that the same art in the M6 as well? i like having a spare on hand.

Agreed, I want a spare as well. I see it on Active's website for $73. Is it only available through Malibu dealers?

I havent found a suitable replacement outside of Malibu yet.

For reference, the new good ones have a brass center. The bad ones were aluminum.

Edited by COOP
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, COOP said:

I havent found a suitable replacement outside of Malibu yet.

For reference, the new good ones have a brass center. The bad ones were aluminum.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but the thread from last November settled on a Sherwood 15000K impeller as a replacement.  I don't think anyone actually bought one, but perhaps you can check in on it.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

OT:  THIS is one of my favorite USA-isms.  Love it. :)  Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I deer hunted in my late teen and college years with a bunch of good-ol' boys in the north end of the county.  Most of them owned several hunting dogs, and it wasn't important (and probably much better for several reasons) that I didn't own a hunting dog.  So technically, I never have truly had a dog in any hunt, but I can tell you that it's pretty exciting when the dogs are running and they turn your direction.  Even if it's someone else's dogs in the hunt, the suspense grows rapidly... until a couple of does run past, then you have to try to catch all those dang dogs.  Those were the days....

And the guy I used to ride with (in a Plymouth with the rear seat removed so the dogs had their own place) is still a great friend.  I wish I had photos.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, justgary said:

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but the thread from last November settled on a Sherwood 15000K impeller as a replacement.  I don't think anyone actually bought one, but perhaps you can check in on it.  

I suppose I can be the first one to buy one of these. I wasn’t really planning on taking my current one out to confirm these are the same but would be really good for everyone to know. 

I might take the chance on this one. Can probably return it to amazon if it’s wrong. 

StayCoolPumps Impeller Kit Replaces Sherwood 15000K Jabsco 18327-0001-P https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01345I536/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jXPGEbPDAD0HS

I have one on hand, but the dealer did the impeller for me at no charge when they did my steering cable recall lol 

There are no marking on the Stay cool impeller 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I suppose I can be the first one to buy one of these. I wasn’t really planning on taking my current one out to confirm these are the same but would be really good for everyone to know. 

I might take the chance on this one. Can probably return it to amazon if it’s wrong. 

StayCoolPumps Impeller Kit Replaces Sherwood 15000K Jabsco 18327-0001-P https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01345I536/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jXPGEbPDAD0HS

Check the height. If I recall the Sherwood is a millimeter shorter. Which would cause air to get in the system. 

4 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Errr...photos of WHAT exactly?  LOL

Well, mostly the Plymouth he used more like a pickup, or perhaps the freezing cold day that he burned his pant legs standing over the little fire he made to keep warm... too many things. 

1 hour ago, COOP said:

Check the height. If I recall the Sherwood is a millimeter shorter. Which would cause air to get in the system. 

If the sherwood is a bit shorter, how about I mill you a new cover plate that takes up the extra space? 

No heater. There is about 65 hours on the engine. I am going to check everything out today and will post back. Does anyone know where the thermostat is located and maybe have a photo of the location?