Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalomski for beginner at 6' 1" 220 lbs

DOJOLOACH2

10 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

This is not correct.  Take extreme caution when buying boots from a different manufacturer than the ski.  There were several years of HO products, which until recently, would only accept HO boots.  Many HO boots will not mount to other brands without accessory plates, either.  Even HOs newest hole pattern (that at least allows front mounting) will not accept radar boots in the rear without additional hardware.

KD/Kidder was the same for a few years.  I had some Wiley's plates for KD that did not work well on KD skis.  As Dad used to say "Trust, but verify". :)

23 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Only if you buy an HO ski that only has the quick release mounting. Which most do not come with just those mounting holes.

I bought 3 HOs last year (that were admittedly holdovers) that were all the center pattern only.  Again, even their modern pattern will not accommodate rear radars.  I'm just saying that OP needs to be careful.

i also recommend a 69" Radar Union or maybe a 71" senate.  I'm about your size and have an 69" HO TX and a 69" Radar Theory (same size ski as Union).   I ski at 30 or 32 depending on the water.   If you want to ski 34 mph i would go with a 69" senate but I'm thinking that you are newer and will ski more like 28 or 30  - that's where the Union would shine.

the new Vector Boa boots are really nice - much easier to put on than my older vector and stiffer.   I use a RTP and if your feet are really wide i would suggest a different RTP - I find the radar ones really tight.

I'll add one more thing.  I have a friend about that size who had a heckuva time getting up but ith a good pair of gloves, they were good.  You could also look into the "cheater" gloves as they prevent the inevitale handle pop.

23 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Currently looking into a boom and easy up handle... Would love the boom since I want to get into barefooting tool .lol. I'll look for a boom used.

Okay I've got 2 boards with decent bindings the HO evo and the HO Omni. They seem so similar in shape and ride function except maybe the concave

Take the money you want to put into a slalom and the money you want to put into a used boom (possibly hard to find) and just buy a new boom.  Once you learn to barefoot, you won't have time to slalom anyway.

Besides, your friends can pitch in and buy you a banger slalom for the boat.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, justgary said:

Take the money you want to put into a slalom and the money you want to put into a used boom (possibly hard to find) and just buy a new boom.  Once you learn to barefoot, you won't have time to slalom anyway.

Besides, your friends can pitch in and buy you a banger slalom for the boat.

Any tips on boom selection? I was looking at barefoot international.. Also I have a aluminum tube wake tower

2 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Any tips on boom selection? I was looking at barefoot international.. Also I have a aluminum tube wake tower

I have the BI boom (the Universal, as I recall), but I don't have a tower.  I also have one extension and the height adjuster.

Come to think of it, I got a Fly-High pole with the boat, but I have never used it.  I suppose I could invite some strippers some day....

you need to be sure of where the windshild (and tower i guess) is in relation to the pylon. the windshield on our LXi required up to buy the quad contour boom. But i would think the universal would work for you. read the descriptions on their website though to be sure which you need. https://www.barefootinternational.com/product.php?id=booms

they do come up used, first one i bought was used, but i couldn't make it work correctly. so i just ordered a new one, and re-sold the used one. 

Back to your slalom ski question, be cautious with advice on what ski to buy and that comment is in no way a slight on any comments by posters as everybody is making excellent recommendations.  My comment is from my personal experience, we as skiers are very sensitive to what ski each of us like, and that varies greatly across the spectrum of skiers.  What I like or brings out my best performance will not be what others like, and vice versa.  A ski is a personal preference so if you have the option, go to your pro shop and demo a few options to see what you like.  Each brand tends to have a unique character which could make a significant difference on how much you enjoy riding on that particular ski.  Another option, go to 'ski-it'again' and find a good used option which will be a cost efficient way to sample the unknown.

Good luck and happy shopping.

Since we are back to your original question, I'll add that I have always thought that combo slalom skis are much easier to get up on than higher performance skis. 

Good technique will get you up on any ski, so make sure you aren't fighting yourself.  I always tell people to stay in a tuck with their head forward and do not lay back or push your legs out against the force.  Picture trying to touch your nose to the tip of the ski as you get up. 

Most people struggle with trying to stand up way too early. 

10 minutes ago, justgary said:

Since we are back to your original question, I'll add that I have always thought that combo slalom skis are much easier to get up on than higher performance skis. 

Good technique will get you up on any ski, so make sure you aren't fighting yourself.  I always tell people to stay in a tuck with their head forward and do not lay back or push your legs out against the force.  Picture trying to touch your nose to the tip of the ski as you get up. 

Most people struggle with trying to stand up way too early. 

Hmmm maybe I should try to stick with the combo skis this season and invest in the deep V handle linked above. The skis are from the 80's :D injected plastic lol

20 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Hmmm maybe I should try to stick with the combo skis this season and invest in the deep V handle linked above. The skis are from the 80's :D injected plastic lol

I'm sorry I'm not helping you spend money, but I think you just need more practice with good technique.  Any reliance on gimmicks like a new handle or a wide ski just delay learning proper form. 

I'm sure not everyone here agrees with me, but when we were kids we tried to ski on anything we could drag into the water.  2x4s and boat paddles were very common.  Since most of it was behind a small motor (6 to 25 HP), we had to learn how to help get ourselves up. 

A few more outings from now and you'll have better things to think about than whether you can get up easily. 

Then you can start your quest to demo every kind of ski you can find and start reporting your findings to us. 

Agree with @justgary getting up is 80% technique although the weight / surface area ratio is pretty key.  As noted, high performance ski's tend to be more difficult to get up on, and they have a tendency to wander to lean off to one side as you both get up and ride them.  There is a notable difference in get up ease depending on manufacturer and specific ski even across ones at the same width or surface area.  Type of bindings will have an impact on ease of getting up, an RTP (rear toe plate) allows you to drag a foot, double bindings tend to restrict your mobility or ankle bend so that may be a consideration. 

Technique is a key, don't try to get up too quick (in fact you really don't try to get up at all, the boat does that for you - let the boat do the work, you have no chance to defeat 300+ hp), for me palms down on the handle (as opposed to baseball grip which is what is needed once swerving), knees to the chest, leave or keep your arms extended, rope on toe side of ski (that does the same thing as the deep V handle).  Good luck, relax and have fun.

ahopkins22LSV

The thing is, none of the skis that were suggested are “high performance”. Most suggested have a more “user friendly” shape to them. Combo skis can have a very poor shape in regards to slalom. I’d bet that a new Omni or similar will be easier to get up on despite your technique. 

Although I agree. It’s definitely 80% technique.

2 hours ago, Woodski said:

RTP (rear toe plate) allows you to drag a foot, double bindings tend to restrict your mobility or ankle bend so that may be a consideration. 

I teach EVERYONE to start both feet in.  Don't bother with that drop a ski nonsense either.

• Like 1

I'm on lake Wylie south Carolina.

I think the advice to learn on the combos with no training devices is good for now. I honestly wasn't sure they would work 

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The training devices DO work.  Along with a good driver.

+1Good driver, very important. @DOJOLOACH2 i don't mean to be insulting, but what is your experience with ski boats and skiing?

The response is a great boat, we love ours, but it drives differently than other types of boats. One of the things we had to learn coming from an i/o was to not just slam the throttle, but rather roll smoothly forward. Especially as people learn to get up on 1 ski, its very important the driver is able to give a consistent smooth pull.

I had a friend visit last year, used to skiing behind his i/o and a neighbor's pontoon. He got mad at me when he told me give it everything to get him up and i said no, it would rip his arms off. He grumbled, got in the lake and popped right up, skied and then thanked me for giving him full throttle. I explained i didn't, but a smooth run up until he was out of the lake. He said it was the easiest time he ever had getting up on one ski, like no effort.

He now owns a direct drive.

Driver, very important.

• Like 3

Look for a closeout or used Radar P6/butterknife with boots on it.  They are a little wider and a little more forgiving.  They have the size of a combo with a shape you can actually carve on.  Once you want to go more than 30 then move up to a nicer used ski.

https://www.wakehouse.com/products/radar-butter-knife-slalom-package-w-prime-rtp-2019.html

I own a P6, Senate and a Vapor.  Everyone starts on the p6, it is much easier to get up on and ski at lower speeds.

Edited by oldjeep

i also agree about the throttle thing - I'm a bigger guy and ski on a slightly wider ski (In today's skis it would be the HO Omni or the Radar Union)   Too much throttle makes too much pressure on the ski and i can't hold on.   If you give me a medium progressive pull it's a non-issue.   This is more critical for us bigger guys b/c it takes more time for the ski to plane.  I really had to learn this again last year b/c I thought I needed more throttle on my new ski and it turns out less is better.     But if you are really a beginner I would consider that Radar Butterknife.

here is my HO ski

IMG_6689.jpg

Edited by SkiPablo
2 hours ago, asnowman said:

He got mad at me when he told me give it everything to get him up and i said no, it would rip his arms off.

I've had those sorts of guys behind my boat.  Everynow and then, despite my warnings, at their insitence I unleash the horses.  We get it on  video.  :)

52 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I've had those sorts of guys behind my boat.  Everynow and then, despite my warnings, at their insitence I unleash the horses.  We get it on  video.  :)

Had a buddy do that to a big toughguy skier once who insisted full power was needed behind my buddy's 91 Nautique.  It cost him a new mirror.