Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalomski for beginner at 6' 1" 220 lbs

DOJOLOACH2

I bought my response lx last year and tried hard to get up on just one combo ski. Does anyone think it would be easier to get up on a dedicated slalom ski instead of combos? Seems the slalom ski could have more surface area. 

I'm seeing some crazy deals right now online so  any tips to point me in the right direction would be great

ahopkins22LSV

Yes a proper slalom ski will help tremendously. If you are looking in the house right now, that’s a good place to look. I have some suggestions, but first let me ask what you are looking to get out of the ski? You said easy starts. What about how you see yourself skiing? Just the casual ski every so often not carrying about water conditions? Or do you want to see yourself progressing into better turns and faster turns? What type of water do you typically ski on? Luckily for you there are options for everything now!

6 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Yes a proper slalom ski will help tremendously. If you are looking in the house right now, that’s a good place to look. I have some suggestions, but first let me ask what you are looking to get out of the ski? You said easy starts. What about how you see yourself skiing? Just the casual ski every so often not carrying about water conditions? Or do you want to see yourself progressing into better turns and faster turns? What type of water do you typically ski on? Luckily for you there are options for everything now!

I definitely want to progress to faster turns and push myself faster. We usually try to ski early when water is less choppy, once it is choppy though we will still try. I'd prefer something oriented towards the slalom sport instead of freeride. 

I was actually looking on the house as well... Like 90 percent off on some skis right now!

ahopkins22LSV
13 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

I definitely want to progress to faster turns and push myself faster. We usually try to ski early when water is less choppy, once it is choppy though we will still try. I'd prefer something oriented towards the slalom sport instead of freeride. 

I was actually looking on the house as well... Like 90 percent off on some skis right now!

This is probably what I would go with.

https://www.the-house.com/wscraas67vst719zz-radar-slalom-waterskis.html

It should be easier to get up on, especially with the proper boot. It will be stable enough for you right now and will not hold you back as you progress. 

What he said.  Senate will take you into the course if you want to but can also freeride nicely.  It's tuned for 34 MPH but will work a bit below that.  If you want something a little easier to get up on, the Radar Union would be my recommendation.  It's 2 tenths of an inch wider than the Senate.

Vapor - Senate - Union all share the same tournament ski shape.  Vapor is the high end pro shape for 36 MPH.  Senate is 2/10" wider and is the world's most popular "do everything" ski that can still take you deep into shortline.  Union is 2/10" wider than that for easier starts and better performance at learning speeds of 28-32 MPH.

I'd also check ski-it-again.com.

1 hour ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Does anyone think it would be easier to get up on a dedicated slalom ski instead of combos?

Width at the tail and overall surface area are gonna be what gives you lift on the start.  So a combo ski may be easier to get out of the hole than a real ski, it just depends on the size of the skis we are talking about.  That said, if you own a boat and want to get better, get a dedicated ski sized correctly for your weight and practice a bunch.  The starts will take care of themselves.   And if you are like me and get fat over the winter, cutting pounds makes it easier to get out of the hole as well.  I can tell what I weigh in about 5 pound increments based on how much effort it takes to get out of the hole.  

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

This is probably what I would go with.

https://www.the-house.com/wscraas67vst719zz-radar-slalom-waterskis.html

It should be easier to get up on, especially with the proper boot. It will be stable enough for you right now and will not hold you back as you progress. 

I like the shape of this board but not the price. With all the sales on the house I was thinking less than $200. Is that plausible? They have a lot of HO skies for very cheap right now, is HO decent? How about their burner model

Also, I will probably opt for nicer bindings that could carry me through a couple of skis as I progress to more aggressive riding

Edited by DOJOLOACH2

Radar Vectors are the best binding bang for your buck; Vapors are better but twice as much.  At this stage just find a decent ski that is sized right for your bodyweight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

Radar Vectors are the best binding bang for your buck; Vapors are better but twice as much.  At this stage just find a decent ski that is sized right for your bodyweight. I

I'll check them out, I assume most bindings have the same mount hole pattern

I am not sure if all bindings fit all skis, but I run Radar Vapors on a Connelly GT.  You can usually make them work, but you want to check the specific set up before you buy to make sure.  

28 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

I'll check them out, I assume most bindings have the same mount hole pattern

Not the case.  There are two major hole patterns and some bindings will fit both.  For example, the New D3 UNI plate for rear binding fits both HO and D3
insert patterns.

Hmmm, after further thought I've got a small crew of guys that come out, all are athletic so would do good with an adjustable or range binding.This will be a boat board for low 30mph

I just looked at the Union that skier recommended and I can swing that price in this link:\\https://www.the-house.com/wshoom67fb719zz-ho-slalom-waterskis.html

For 100 bucks cheaper I can get an HO Omni, they market the union and senate as a crossover just like the omni. Any thoughts on the Omni?

If it's a "boat ski" get the Union or a Katana and call it done. You can still turn a free ride ski just fine. Omni is HO version of the Senate basically. 

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, UWSkier said:

If it's a "boat ski" get the Union or a Katana and call it done. You can still turn a free ride ski just fine. Omni is HO version of the Senate basically. 

Agreed. Also, HO and Radar boots will fit each other’s skis no problem and most other skis on the market. 

4 hours ago, UWSkier said:

It's just a darn shame there are no decent adjustable bindings anymore.  :(

Eventually you will get up on any of the skis recommended, but it will take some work and effort.  Every summer we have guests out that have never successfully slalomed. We pull out the Connelly Pilot, same as Outlaw or Mid SX.   They pop up on the first try.  We tell them to get up two more times (Over the visit) and we graduate them to a thinner ski and it’s like nothing for them to get up on it.  Definitely would find something you like at The-house as they are incredible deals.  But watch craigslist or eBay for a wide ride and you won’t regret having that around for teaching new slalomers. 

Also may want to consider one of these....

https://www.the-house.com/wkhoudv12hw75m20zz-ho-waterski-handles.html

I never thought we would need one, but it has helped many people now get the confidence they need getting up on a single ski before switching to a regular handle. Mental thing for many people, especailly when starting on a slalom at first. Really helped our youngest get confident with his starts.

Just know you will be looking for another ski as you progress, its real helpful to find a shop nearby, or other skiers that can help you.

12 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Also may want to consider one of these....

https://www.the-house.com/wkhoudv12hw75m20zz-ho-waterski-handles.html

I never thought we would need one, but it has helped many people now get the confidence they need getting up on a single ski before switching to a regular handle. Mental thing for many people, especailly when starting on a slalom at first. Really helped our youngest get confident with his starts.

Just know you will be looking for another ski as you progress, its real helpful to find a shop nearby, or other skiers that can help you.

Yeah, if you don;t have a boom, an easy-up handle is the way to go.  Keep the line really short, too.

1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Yeah, if you don;t have a boom, an easy-up handle is the way to go.  Keep the line really short, too.

+1 on that. we bought a boom too.

Currently looking into a boom and easy up handle... Would love the boom since I want to get into barefooting tool .lol. I'll look for a boom used.

Okay I've got 2 boards with decent bindings the HO evo and the HO Omni. They seem so similar in shape and ride function except maybe the concave

12 hours ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Currently looking into a boom and easy up handle... Would love the boom since I want to get into barefooting tool .lol. I'll look for a boom used.

Okay I've got 2 boards with decent bindings the HO evo and the HO Omni. They seem so similar in shape and ride function except maybe the concave

From what I know the Evo is more of a freeski, something that will be easier to get up on and is made for open water skiing.  So it will probably better for you to start off on.  It will be more forgiving as you learn to cut and will not feel 'too' fast as you learn.  While the Omni is not going to be impossible to learn on, it might be a little harder to get up on at first.  It will ski open water but can also take you far in the course.  It is also a faster ski, so it wants you to be going 28 - 34 MPH and then it will ski faster when you cut.   

If you not worried about learning I would go with the Omni, it will take you a lot further.  Just not the first ski I would pull out for a beginner.

Good Luck.

20 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Agreed. Also, HO and Radar boots will fit each other’s skis no problem and most other skis on the market. 

This is not correct.  Take extreme caution when buying boots from a different manufacturer than the ski.  There were several years of HO products, which until recently, would only accept HO boots.  Many HO boots will not mount to other brands without accessory plates, either.  Even HOs newest hole pattern (that at least allows front mounting) will not accept radar boots in the rear without additional hardware.

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

This is not correct.  Take extreme caution when buying boots from a different manufacturer than the ski.  There were several years of HO products, which until recently, would only accept HO boots.  Many HO boots will not mount to other brands without accessory plates, either.  Even HOs newest hole pattern (that at least allows front mounting) will not accept radar boots in the rear without additional hardware.

Only if you buy an HO ski that only has the quick release mounting. Which most do not come with just those mounting holes.