Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Am I being unrealistic?

Cjcola16

Hello all, apologies if this is the wrong place to publish!

In the market for a boat.

My question is with all that's going around with unemployment, the stocks falling, etc. With a dealer offering a 22vlx at 65k would offering 50k be fair? 

Is this something dealers take into consideration as they are looking to get rid of stuff?

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2015-malibu-22-vlx-7401748/

You can offer whatever you want. Either they will counter, stand firm, or point you towards the door.

Realistically, i doubt they will be wiling to drop the price on a boat that clean anywhere near that far. 

9 minutes ago, Cjcola16 said:

Hello all, apologies if this is the wrong place to publish!

In the market for a boat.

My question is with all that's going around with unemployment, the stocks falling, etc. With a dealer offering a 22vlx at 65k would offering 50k be fair? 

Is this something dealers take into consideration as they are looking to get rid of stuff?

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2015-malibu-22-vlx-7401748/

I’d show you the door with that offer. 

Good thing it would be over an email first haha.

But I totally understand yes. I know the worst they can say is no. But given the current economic conditions I feel like luxury items will start to become more affordable (fingers crossed).

Just now, Cjcola16 said:

But I totally understand yes. I know the worst they can say is no. But given the current economic conditions I feel like luxury items will start to become more affordable (fingers crossed).

I remember car shopping with my Dad.  He'd open his wallet and start pulling out $1000 bills (NLA due to money laundering/drug trade) until he got to where he figured a fair price was.  If the salesman balked he'd pick them up and close his wallet.  Was a hoot to watch.  Cash is king!

2 hours ago, Cjcola16 said:

I wouldn't expect a response from an email. At least call them.

I was kinda wondering what was going to happen with boat prices. I just got an email from Tommy's saying 40% of new 19 malibus and 25% off axis. Im guessing they want to start moving boat before things really slow down. While that isnt a direct answer, im betting they will be willing to at least negotiate with you on that. I dont think they would go to 50k, but guessing you could get close

Edited by Brantb

on the last go-round (08-09), seems to me that the real blow-out pricing didn't happen till dealerships started to fail, inventory auctioned, etc.  So I think you'll be looking at fall before any truly bottom barrel deals come around, if ever.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Brantb said:

I was kinda wondering what was going to happen with boat prices. I just got an email from Tommy's saying 40% of new 19 malibus and 25% off axis. Im guessing they want to start moving boat before things really slow down. While that isnt a direct answer, im betting they will be willing to at least negotiate with you on that. I dont think they would go to 50k, but guessing you could get close

I got that same email.  Pretty tempting.

13 hours ago, Brantb said:

Smart of them to start trying to move things now.  I think come July/Aug things are going to get ugly for the boating market.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, Brantb said:

Is this any Tommy's or Tommy's specific? The one is Colorado has a new 22 vlx that could be worth it

Always love seeing people trying to take advantage of others misfortunes!  Pay what you can afford and is a fair price, don't you want the dealer you are buying it from to stay in business.  My guess is you wouldn't get a reply with that offer.

12 minutes ago, Chappy said:

Always love seeing people trying to take advantage of others misfortunes!  Pay what you can afford and is a fair price, don't you want the dealer you are buying it from to stay in business.  My guess is you wouldn't get a reply with that offer.

And you have no problem with dealers charging full MSRP or more?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Chappy said:

Always love seeing people trying to take advantage of others misfortunes!  Pay what you can afford and is a fair price, don't you want the dealer you are buying it from to stay in business.  My guess is you wouldn't get a reply with that offer

I guess you can look at it that way.. I'm looking at it as someone has a boat, times are tough, and if they can still make a profit on 50k I'm sure they would still be happy about that. If not I'm sure they would counter somewhere in the middle which is exactly what I'd hope for. It's also no different than Toyota marking up a supra to 70k. When you can go buy one for 45k. Yes dealers have to make money, but they don't have to bend over the customer in the process. 

• Like 2

It is not possible to 'take advantage' of a dealer.  They are a business and they know how much they have into a unit in their inventory, and what their overhead costs are, thus what their bottom line is.  They are experts in the market for the specific unit they are selling and put an appropriate price on it.  If they take a loss just to move a unit, that is there prerogative.  If you offer $50k and they accept, then they have a valid business reason for doing so.

Offer $50k.  See what happens. 

My guess is that the dealer is willing to sit on a clean used unit because the market will recover and so will the value and demand for quality used boats.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

on the last go-round (08-09), seems to me that the real blow-out pricing didn't happen till dealerships started to fail, inventory auctioned, etc.  So I think you'll be looking at fall before any truly bottom barrel deals come around, if ever.

I was impressed with how long dealers hung on to boats advertising top prices in the last recession.  Then suddenly they went out of business.  Tommy's getting rid of boats now seems like the more prudent business model.  The problem being that if the virus by some miracle suddenly becomes a non-issue, they are left with no boats to sell as things rebound.  My crystal ball does not work, but I am going to venture that we will be recovering for a year,  and those that hung onto their boats all summer are going to go bankrupt in the fall if they didn't build up sufficient cash reserves.  

15 hours ago, oldjeep said:

You would be more likely to find the bargain prices in the private market, from the unfortunate folks who get wiped out by the current business shut downs. 

This.  Dealers are still optimistic that summer will come and they can sell at decent prices.  And they may be right, but right now after hearing big city after big city getting shut down, I am going to bet things don't get better until a year from now.  If things turn around in the fall, boat dealers missed a whole season.  

1 hour ago, Cjcola16 said:

Is this any Tommy's or Tommy's specific? The one is Colorado has a new 22 vlx that could be worth it

Looks like it was already answered, but i got it from the one in CO. I got the email and immediately looked. Walked over to the wife with a grin and she knew something was up. She shut it down based on uncertainty, and the fact that we are waiting for a new house to be built that we have a deposit on. Probably not the best time to shell out 70-90k on a new boat for us.

45 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

And you have no problem with dealers charging full MSRP or more?

If someone pays full MSRP for one of these boats then they have more money than brains so whatever!

1 hour ago, Chappy said:

What the market will bare, or supply vs demand.   The primary and secondary market for luxury goods always depends on the economy.   If you can afford to buy when the economy is bad then you reap the rewards of your good choices or luck. 

• Like 2
On 3/28/2020 at 6:25 PM, Cjcola16 said:

nothing works like a certified check in the amount your speaking of in person, cheap talk is just that, cheap talk , your email is like  a fishing email , who would touch that and wreaks of you nit being serious 

or snail mail that check with your contingent offer,  thats what i did.  GM told me no thank you, i said thats fine just mail me my check back,  within two hours the salesman under him had a deal done