Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question on my 247

kfulford

I am doing some spring maintenance on my new to me 2008 247 with the 383HH, We purchased it last year and it had been serviced already so this is my first service of this boat. Things like replacing plugs, oil/ filter change, Trans and v-drive fluid change, wet sand and buff (Big Job LOL).

My question is I can not see to find a definitive answer as to specifically what oil the v-drive and trans takes. The trans is I think a  ZF 63A (Tag says it is an Indmar 082020ES with a ratio of 1.5:1 and that is the only 1.5:1 I see in the manual) and takes ATF (Has a red dip stick with Pink fluid), but looking at the manual it says ZF 63A takes 10w40 so I am confused. 

I can not seem to find a reference to the exact vdrive that is in the boat. It has a yellow dip stick on the port side and has amber oil so I know it is either 15w40 or SAE30 but I am not sure which.

Can anyone give me any direction by chance, or a resource that I could look it up myself? I have spend several hours searching this site and google with not much success.

Thanks All!!!

Trans will be ATF that is DEX/MERC compatible. So any of the newer ATF’s will be backward compatible. VD sounds like a Walter if it is oil. That will be a straight 30 weight non detergent oil. You will read where some have switched to ATF in the VD. I personally wouldn't mess with swapping it. About a quart in the Walter. The trans dip stick screws in to check for proper fill and the Hurth VD if so equipped will just sit in the VD to check for proper fill level.  Good luck. Bill

19 hours ago, wdr said:

Trans will be ATF that is DEX/MERC compatible. So any of the newer ATF’s will be backward compatible. VD sounds like a Walter if it is oil. That will be a straight 30 weight non detergent oil. You will read where some have switched to ATF in the VD. I personally wouldn't mess with swapping it. About a quart in the Walter. The trans dip stick screws in to check for proper fill and the Hurth VD if so equipped will just sit in the VD to check for proper fill level.  Good luck. Bill

Thanks!!

An update for future me and for anyone else that may be looking for this information in the future as well. 

My Transmission ended up needing 1.5-2 quarts of fluid after I sucked out as much as I could so I am assuming (Yes I know what that means, LOL) it is the ZF Ski Vee Transmission. The V-Drive took about 1/2 a quart of SAE 30 oil so that should be the Walter V-Drive.

The oil filter is being a real pain in the butt. I bought the NAPA 1069 that everyone spoke so well about. Turns out on my boat the oil filter is directly above the raw water through hull cut off valve. The existing filter came off fine (Tight but cam off) but the 1069 does not fit it is too long. I tried tightening the thru hull fitting to move it over some but I could not move it enough to work. The filter that was on there was a MERCRUISER 35-866340K01 that cross references to a NAPA 7099. I have my wife picking one of those up so fingers crossed that this one works. I foresee a remote oil filter kit in my future this time next year!!!

Still to go is replacing the plugs and rebuilding the raw water pump. It was leaking through the weep hole last season so I am replacing the bearings, seal, bushings, and impeller so it should be like new after that.

41 minutes ago, kfulford said:

I foresee a remote oil filter kit in my future this time next year!!!

For sure!  Not only can then use a much larger filter, but you'll smile every time you winterize.  Easily my favorite maintenance upgrade.