Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LifeForm 9 wiring install

hawaiianstyln

Finally pulled the trigger on two LF9's and a bit confused on the wiring.  I don't' have touch screen on my 08, just the MUX buttons that replaced the rocker switches.  The existing wiring for my OEM underwater lights look to be 12-14 gauged so the size of the wiring that is already existent would be sufficient.  My question is, I should be able to just use the existing wires for my OEM underwater lighting versus the wiring they want for touch screen?  PlugNPlay?

OEM lights draw about 1amp per light

LF9's draw aprox 2.6 amps per light

If I should not use the MUX to control them, I will just add a separate SPDT rocker switch

LF9Wire.thumb.jpg.dde4873ee6dbd6aa3418e0d1eca781cd.jpg

The answer depends on what gauge wiring you currently have for that light circuit.  What is the rating on the circuit breaker for your OEM lights?  If they only draw 1 amp I'd be willing to be it's a 5 amp breaker...and now you want to put 5.2 amps on that circuit.  Not a good idea.  BUT, if the wiring is 16ga or thicker and the C/B is 10amp or better, then go for it.

But if not, you can still use your MUX switch, just use the existing wiring circuit to power the relay; install the relay near the lights, and wire the relay directly to the battery and lights.  Your MUX switch controls the relay, the relay controls the lights.  Use heavier gauge wire for the battery-relay-light circuit.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, formulaben said:

The answer depends on what gauge wiring you currently have for that light circuit.  What is the rating on the circuit breaker for your OEM lights?  If they only draw 1 amp I'd be willing to be it's a 5 amp breaker...and now you want to put 5.2 amps on that circuit.  Not a good idea.  BUT, if the wiring is 16ga or thicker and the C/B is 10amp or better, then go for it.

But if not, you can still use your MUX switch, just use the existing wiring circuit to power the relay; install the relay near the lights, and wire the relay directly to the battery and lights.  Your MUX switch controls the relay, the relay controls the lights.  Use heavier gauge wire for the battery-relay-light circuit.

Those are good questions, when I got the boat the OEM underwater lights were hooked up to the interior lighting button on the MUX.  So now I'm thinking I need to separate that.  Plus I don't want to turn on the interior lights and always have my underwater lights come on

Edited by hawaiianstyln

If the OEM U/W light harness is indeed 14ga or heavier, then there is no issue using it for your two new lights. Breakers can be upgraded. If there is an unused MUX and the capacity of the MUX is in question, then a relay is the answer. Wire it in behind the MUX/under the helm. 

• Like 1

If you do use a relay, be sure to put a fuse inline with the battery power so you don't have a meltdown when something decides to short to ground.

• Like 1
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 7:11 PM, justgary said:

If you do use a relay, be sure to put a fuse inline with the battery power so you don't have a meltdown when something decides to short to ground.

I will indeed put an inline fuse in either way.

thanks for the tips TMC

• 3 weeks later...

Hawaiianstyln have you finished install yet.  I went this same route for my '04 23LSV and the lights should be here any day.  I ran a 16 ga wire back and was just going to put them on the old circuit that was doing all my tower "airplane" lights.  Would love to know your experience as I try to replicate!

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 6:04 PM, RzrbackAV said:

Hawaiianstyln have you finished install yet.  I went this same route for my '04 23LSV and the lights should be here any day.  I ran a 16 ga wire back and was just going to put them on the old circuit that was doing all my tower "airplane" lights.  Would love to know your experience as I try to replicate!

That should be fine on that switch as long as you make sure the amp draw and the current fuse is within range to protect that circuit.  I will be delayed now on this project as I will now be waiting on the new lights (TecNiq underwater dragon 12's) to come in.

4 minutes ago, Chia said:

i don't remember why, but mine are wired to a separate switch.

I just added a rocker switch under the helm/dash for the lights.  Didn't want to deal with figuring out what wires are not being used on the MUX controllers, then edit the MUX settings for underwater lights, then making sure the wiring/fuse is the right size.  I don't mind a rocker switch or 2 mounted underneath for additional accessories.  I ran 12 gauge for the heck of it and will place a proper inline fuse too.