Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lead wake in the bow with bow tank 2018 22vlx

BlitzedVLX

I ordered 10 50lb lead wake bags and was given 2 by a friend for a total of 12 50lb bags. I ordered these because I did not think our 2018 22vlx had a bow hard tank and now that we have it in our possession we can see that it does. 

Has anyone successfully placed lead wake bags in between the bow hard tank? I would like to place 3 bags in the bow hidden but I cannot get the hard tank to move after removing the brackets holding it. I believe the bow hard tank only holds around 300lbs and would really like 600lb total in the bow.

My only option seems to be to access the bow from under the drivers and passenger dash. They will be tight but should be able to squeeze 3 bags in in the area under the bow backrests and middle where the divider starts. 

I'd really like to have these hidden rather than sitting them on the seats. 

Any advice on where to put the remaining bags? It has 550 pnp in lockers.

We primary wakeboard and only trailer to the ramp 5 miles twice a year. 

1 hour ago, BlitzedVLX said:

I ordered 10 50lb lead wake bags and was given 2 by a friend for a total of 12 50lb bags. I ordered these because I did not think our 2018 22vlx had a bow hard tank and now that we have it in our possession we can see that it does. 

Has anyone successfully placed lead wake bags in between the bow hard tank? I would like to place 3 bags in the bow hidden but I cannot get the hard tank to move after removing the brackets holding it. I believe the bow hard tank only holds around 300lbs and would really like 600lb total in the bow.

My only option seems to be to access the bow from under the drivers and passenger dash. They will be tight but should be able to squeeze 3 bags in in the area under the bow backrests and middle where the divider starts. 

I'd really like to have these hidden rather than sitting them on the seats. 

Any advice on where to put the remaining bags? It has 550 pnp in lockers.

We primary wakeboard and only trailer to the ramp 5 miles twice a year. 

I was only able to get 2x 50lb bags in the bow.  I removed the carpeted step and was able to slide them in vertically.  I bought 200lbs and have the other 100lbs as far forward as possible under the observers compartment.  I figure this will help offset driver weight when we're light and also help regular side surfers.  I haven't had the boat in the water since installing.  We have 750s in the rear so I could only fill to 50% without an adult up front.  Hope it makes a difference. 

IMG_8371B.jpg

IMG_8372.jpg

IMG_8373.jpg

You can probably get 200lbs or better in front of the hard tank. You just have to slide it back a little to get those bags in there. Be careful of the vent line though. That is some pretty thin plastic on that part of vent barb.

11 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

I was only able to get 2x 50lb bags in the bow.  I removed the carpeted step and was able to slide them in vertically.  I bought 200lbs and have the other 100lbs as far forward as possible under the observers compartment.  I figure this will help offset driver weight when we're light and also help regular side surfers.  I haven't had the boat in the water since installing.  We have 750s in the rear so I could only fill to 50% without an adult up front.  Hope it makes a difference. 

IMG_8371B.jpg

IMG_8372.jpg

IMG_8373.jpg

I have my bags in the same location as you @wedge88.  I'm going to do another deep dive this spring to see if I can get more in there.  I'm thinking I can get one on the port and starboard sides at the aft corners of the tank. 

29 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I have my bags in the same location as you @wedge88.  I'm going to do another deep dive this spring to see if I can get more in there.  I'm thinking I can get one on the port and starboard sides at the aft corners of the tank. 

Let me know if you have any luck.  I took some measurements, of those areas, and think I might be able to get a 25lb-er in each but that may be it.  I think if I bought a bunch of 10lb bags, I could remove the cupholder panels and drop them alongside the tank and possibly get 6-8 on each side but it's cost prohibitive because 10#s are $25ea.  I can't complain about my wave and if we have 4-5 adults on the boat, I have no issues but it's when we have our family of 5 with 3 young kids onboard that I wish I could fill the rears all the way.  I have to think that the 200lbs I added is going to get me closer to my goal if not all the way.

4 hours ago, wedge88 said:

Let me know if you have any luck.  I took some measurements, of those areas, and think I might be able to get a 25lb-er in each but that may be it.  I think if I bought a bunch of 10lb bags, I could remove the cupholder panels and drop them alongside the tank and possibly get 6-8 on each side but it's cost prohibitive because 10#s are $25ea.  I can't complain about my wave and if we have 4-5 adults on the boat, I have no issues but it's when we have our family of 5 with 3 young kids onboard that I wish I could fill the rears all the way.  I have to think that the 200lbs I added is going to get me closer to my goal if not all the way.

Will do man.

18 hours ago, wedge88 said:

IMG_8371B.jpg

IMG_8372.jpg

IMG_8373.jpg

This is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I did not notice the screw heads on the top of the carpeted step like your picture shows. I will check again on my step. Are those top screws the only thing that needs to be removed? 

I removed the screws from the bottom of the metal L bracket holding the tank but doing so only allowed me to move the tank a tiny amount. 

54 minutes ago, BlitzedVLX said:

This is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I did not notice the screw heads on the top of the carpeted step like your picture shows. I will check again on my step. Are those top screws the only thing that needs to be removed? 

I removed the screws from the bottom of the metal L bracket holding the tank but doing so only allowed me to move the tank a tiny amount. 

Those screws are it.  I did the same thing as you and removed the support L brackets and the pump fittings don't allow the tank to move much.  Then I realized the screws for the carpeted panels were staring right at me.  If it weren't for my heater port I was going to create a larger panel / enclosure that pushed back into the walkway about 12" and then I could easily add 200#s stacked on top of each other that would be hidden but I think I should be good where I have lead placed.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, wedge88 said:

Those screws are it.  I did the same thing as you and removed the support L brackets and the pump fittings don't allow the tank to move much.  Then I realized the screws for the carpeted panels were staring right at me.  If it weren't for my heater port I was going to create a larger panel / enclosure that pushed back into the walkway about 12" and then I could easily add 200#s stacked on top of each other that would be hidden but I think I should be good where I have lead placed.  Good luck.

Have you tried to remove those side panels in the bow where the speakers are? 

I will also put 2 50lb bags in the observer compartment pushed up front all the way. 

2 hours ago, BlitzedVLX said:

I will also put 2 50lb bags in the observer compartment pushed up front all the way. 

I have not removed that panel but I can't imagine it's very difficult.  

I also put 2x 50lb bags in observer area.  We may try and hit the water this weekend.  Water is cold but the lake is about the only thing open to do.  

2 hours ago, BlitzedVLX said:

3/8" nuts and washer on the back side. I had to pull the speakers on my '10 to reach the upper rear ones as I recall. You would think you be able to get to them from the observers compartment, but no joy on mine. The drivers side was all but inaccessible from the helm area hence going through the speakers.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:05 PM, wdr said:

3/8" nuts and washer on the back side. I had to pull the speakers on my '10 to reach the upper rear ones as I recall. You would think you be able to get to them from the observers compartment, but no joy on mine. The drivers side was all but inaccessible from the helm area hence going through the speakers.

I removed the speakers and found that on our 2018 the speaker panel was held with screws so I am pretty sure I would need to remove the seat cushions. 

I ended up removing both brackets holding the tank and was able to move it around enough to get 2 bags in the passenger side, 1 bag right in front of the walkway and 1 bag in front of the driver. Would have liked to get them up more forward but I will save that job for later if this does not work as planned. 

Should I still put 2 50lbs all the way forward in the amp compartment? 

Edited by BlitzedVLX

Depends on what you want to achieve and the performance gained. I don’t wakeboard and I don't have any experience with lead so I cant offer solid advice about it. I normally run 750 up front which is noticeable change. 100lbs may not make all that much difference to the wave BICBW. 

14 hours ago, wdr said:

Depends on what you want to achieve and the performance gained. I don’t wakeboard and I don't have any experience with lead so I cant offer solid advice about it. I normally run 750 up front which is noticeable change. 100lbs may not make all that much difference to the wave BICBW. 

I believe the hard tank is around 300 lbs then add the 4 bags I added next to the hard tank I'm at 500lbs. Maybe I'd be better off just setting another 4 bags on the bow seats when wakeboarding. I'd just rather not have bags sitting on the seats that could wet and require being moved at the end of the day or if someone decides to sit up there.

As far as on the seats versus in the observers compartment or in the walk way in my case. When I ran the 750 in my '10 I had occasionally placed it on the bow seat or in the walk way with no discernable difference in performance. There is an older thread about bag placement and the guys at WM agreed that, that was their experience as well. That being the case, I would put the bags in the obs comp if for no other reason than to free up the bow to add more peeps if you wanted. Also for me, I cringe anytime I have to put or see someone putting anything other than a butt or bare feet the on vinyl.

On 4/3/2020 at 7:16 AM, wdr said:

As far as on the seats versus in the observers compartment or in the walk way in my case. When I ran the 750 in my '10 I had occasionally placed it on the bow seat or in the walk way with no discernable difference in performance. There is an older thread about bag placement and the guys at WM agreed that, that was their experience as well. That being the case, I would put the bags in the obs comp if for no other reason than to free up the bow to add more peeps if you wanted. Also for me, I cringe anytime I have to put or see someone putting anything other than a butt or bare feet the on vinyl.

a towel under the bags is all you need to prevent problem to vinyl from lead