Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 20VTX In-depth Review

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

You really think people will get in and out in front of the tower that often?  Seems like a head knocker to me.

I’ve don’t it multiple times this year. And it just looks incomplete without it.

ahopkins22LSV
8 hours ago, braindamage said:

Ski yet?

No not yet. Abiding by the only members of your household in the boat right now. I don’t think my 2 1/2 year old daughter would sit still.

No real update other than I put the bimini out. Still the best looking bimini out there imo. I do like the added logo on the front...

E08E66CC-C915-42D3-8648-889F1A4AC1EF.thumb.jpeg.550f6844c931a73b050242e8573b599c.jpeg

C9F905BC-A495-4704-AC90-467005D4048A.thumb.jpeg.0f2a22ec1d7490d0bf7963b3b87dbcac.jpeg

FBC02339-78C4-47B2-B227-34E7C3AD2EDC.thumb.jpeg.92cd788b0dacfa507094b508fd472165.jpeg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

No not yet. Abiding by the only members of your household in the boat right now. I don’t think my 2 1/2 year old daughter would sit still.

You have more willpower than me 😁

21 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Trust me, it is not easy. We have had some pretty nice days with little to no wind.

Me too.  Our local lake has closed the launches but it's open for people with boats in slips.  My friends left their Response in their slip knowing this was coming.  They have the lake to themselves pretty much any morning they want it and have invited me out a few times.

Killing me.

55 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Me too.  Our local lake has closed the launches but it's open for people with boats in slips.  My friends left their Response in their slip knowing this was coming.  They have the lake to themselves pretty much any morning they want it and have invited me out a few times.

Killing me.

(Whisper) gooooo!

37 minutes ago, braindamage said:

(Whisper) gooooo!

Show up on the dock...Have them throw you the rope and start from there.  When done, have them swing you into the dock.  Social Distancing achieved.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, gahvey said:

Show up on the dock...Have them throw you the rope and start from there.  When done, have them swing you into the dock.  Social Distancing achieved.

You could even use your own handle and not touch anything but the end of their rope!  Immediately wipe down hands with sanitizer 

venmo gas money

Edited by braindamage
ahopkins22LSV
9 hours ago, IXFE said:

@ahopkinsVTX... how’s about some tint on that there glass??  Would look mighty fine...

Well since I can’t even go buy some flowers now to plant around the house during my allowed outdoor activities, I don’t think having the windshield tinted is an option either... However I agree, it would look great!

Do we think that we will ever see rear seating like this

attachment.php?attachmentid=173650&d=152

on the VTX? I know it is a mastercraft, but I would love to be able to lounge around in the middle of the lake with a bear in rear seats like this every so often and it would be awesome if malibu offered this feature. Might even make me consider getting out of my '08 VTX that I love so very much. I think even mastercraft only offers them on the larger boats. Would like to see a few manufacturers put this on the 20 footers (specifically Malibu).

ahopkins22LSV

Simple, short answer - No.

There is not nearly enough space. On our 19 we had the standard rear deck seat that the LSV's still have. I thought I would really miss them, but I am not. I like the steps better to be honest. Easier to walk in and out of the boat and so far I have just as easy access to every on the engine and I am still kinda bummed about loosing the tub storage, but the storage inside of the boat is so much better, that I don't think it will matter in the long run.

Also, do you really spend that much time lounging on the boat? I've always viewed those seats as a waste of space. We anchor quite frequently, but I am in the water playing with the kid the whole time.

10 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Simple, short answer - No.

There is not nearly enough space. On our 19 we had the standard rear deck seat that the LSV's still have. I thought I would really miss them, but I am not. I like the steps better to be honest. Easier to walk in and out of the boat and so far I have just as easy access to every on the engine and I am still kinda bummed about loosing the tub storage, but the storage inside of the boat is so much better, that I don't think it will matter in the long run.

Not really surprised but wanted to ask someone in the know. Good to hear that you don't really miss it. Helps me keep that content feeling with my '08.

10 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Also, do you really spend that much time lounging on the boat? I've always viewed those seats as a waste of space. We anchor quite frequently, but I am in the water playing with the kid the whole time.

Between lounging on the boat during kids nap time on the hoist (more frequent than you would think), during storms (also on the hoist), the rare occasion where I am home alone and take it out for an hour of peace, and when we are eating pizza out on the lake with each other we could definitely use it enough that it wouldn't go to waste. Now the trade off with the storage would be something to consider.

Just out of curiosity, do you trade in your boat yearly? What made you jump to the '20 from your '19 from last year?

Edited by LateNightSalami
ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, LateNightSalami said:

Not really surprised but wanted to ask someone in the know. Good to hear that you don't really miss it. Helps me keep that content feeling with my '08.

Between lounging on the boat during kids nap time on the hoist (more frequent than you would think), during storms (also on the hoist), the rare occasion where I am home alone and take it out for an hour of peace, and when we are eating pizza out on the lake with each other we could definitely use it enough that it wouldn't go to waste. Now the trade off with the storage would be something to consider.

Just out of curiosity, do you trade in your boat yearly? What made you jump to the '20 from your '19 from last year?

Ah, fair points. I still think the downside of have those style seats are more than the upside.

We really liked all of the changes that they made on the new model. Plus is appears to ski a bit better. This is the first year we got a boat after a year. We shall see what the future brings.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
43 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I've seen reference to improved wakes around the net a few times now.  

Does anyone actually know, specifically, what they changed?

I believe in the full in depth video with Regina, one of the engineers said they changed the chines. I could be wrong though. Wakes sure seemed better when I skied one in November too. And that was in absolutely terrible water.

11 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I believe in the full in depth video with Regina, one of the engineers said they changed the chines. I could be wrong though. Wakes sure seemed better when I skied one in November too. And that was in absolutely terrible water.

Yep.  Changed, repositioned, and lengthened some of the chines supposedly with a slalom-specific focus on wake improvement and spray reduction... supposedly

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
33 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

hop post pics in 2021 ok?

Lol. God I hope you are wrong. Hope to have videos up of the line lengths I’m comfortable at by Memorial Day. And then once the water warms up I’ll experiment with all speeds and line lengths.

• 2 weeks later...
ahopkins22LSV

Not a ton of updates. Did a slight light mod for the interior lights and finished break in hours. Will be calling Tommy’s to see if we can get in quick. I know they are going to be slammed because Michigan just lifted some restrictions that is allowing their service to work. Can’t wait to ski and surf this thing. 

I will say the M5 continues to impressive. Paired with the 1:50:1 transmission and OJ 950 prop this thing rips out of the hole, like my response did and I touched 40.3mph (5500-5600rpms). Seriously even my wife was like holy crap that hole shot was like our old boat. I looked at her sideways and said like the 19 VTX? She goes no, the response! Then yelled at me to let her drive! I can’t wait to see how it is pulling me up skiing. That will be the best and final test. 

I am surprised there was only two stock interior lights. There’s 3x that in the storage areas!

We have one issue through 10 hours. The stereo is still going to old school tv static after 2-3 songs. Resetting and tightening the engine block grounds didn’t work unfortunately. However, everything else has been flawless so I’m complaining, but not at the same time. We have no gel or interior issues and like I’ve been saying, so far the M5 has been amazing. I’ve run the wedge and surf gates through all motions and no issues there. No trailer issues. It’s safe to say we are very happy so far. 

C5CDEF23-1A7A-491C-9770-6F01D1362867.thumb.jpeg.57e6636513c3d1f34991437e8d302f28.jpeg

77BEBD40-B5F4-45EE-BB7E-602E7F499CD7.thumb.jpeg.8a1651a8265012ff4171b6dd01ec2919.jpeg

Time to ski!!! (And surf...)

90FE76C8-E30B-41AA-B887-036421BBAEB8.thumb.jpeg.8f4ec6defc9f5ae5b858efec49e892d9.jpeg

15 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Not a ton of updates. Did a slight light mod for the interior lights and finished break in hours. Will be calling Tommy’s to see if we can get in quick. I know they are going to be slammed because Michigan just lifted some restrictions that is allowing their service to work. Can’t wait to ski and surf this thing. 

I will say the M5 continues to impressive. Paired with the 1:50:1 transmission and OJ 950 prop this thing rips out of the hole, like my response did and I touched 40.3mph (5500-5600rpms). Seriously even my wife was like holy crap that hole shot was like our old boat. I looked at her sideways and said like the 19 VTX? She goes no, the response! Then yelled at me to let her drive! I can’t wait to see how it is pulling me up skiing. That will be the best and final test. 

I am surprised there was only two stock interior lights. There’s 3x that in the storage areas!

We have one issue through 10 hours. The stereo is still going to old school tv static after 2-3 songs. Resetting and tightening the engine block grounds didn’t work unfortunately. However, everything else has been flawless so I’m complaining, but not at the same time. We have no gel or interior issues and like I’ve been saying, so far the M5 has been amazing. I’ve run the wedge and surf gates through all motions and no issues there. No trailer issues. It’s safe to say we are very happy so far. 

C5CDEF23-1A7A-491C-9770-6F01D1362867.thumb.jpeg.57e6636513c3d1f34991437e8d302f28.jpeg

77BEBD40-B5F4-45EE-BB7E-602E7F499CD7.thumb.jpeg.8a1651a8265012ff4171b6dd01ec2919.jpeg

Time to ski!!! (And surf...)

90FE76C8-E30B-41AA-B887-036421BBAEB8.thumb.jpeg.8f4ec6defc9f5ae5b858efec49e892d9.jpeg

Wonder if you could increase prop pitch a bit to pick up some fuel economy at skiing speeds.  You're probably going to be spinning 45-600 RPM at 34 MPH with that setup.  Seems the M5 has power to spare.

ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Wonder if you could increase prop pitch a bit to pick up some fuel economy at skiing speeds.  You're probably going to be spinning 45-600 RPM at 34 MPH with that setup.  Seems the M5 has power to spare.

Yeah, they were 42-4400 IIRC. Going to see how it is for surfing and skiing before thinking about swapping props.