Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 20VTX In-depth Review

ahopkins22LSV

10 minutes ago, krward said:

it is why I own a 25 LSV surf machine for the family and own the Txi with 4 buddies we keep on private water. 

The VTX ski wake is the reason for this?  It sounds to me like you have a utopia setup!  I'd have a surf boat too if I had access to a slalom boat on private water whenever I wanted it.

1 hour ago, Skicolorado said:

Hey Andrew, I’m demoing a 2020 vtx on Friday. We will run it through the course. My wife skis 30mph 15 off and I’ll ski it at 34mph 28off. I’ll let you know what I think of wake and tracking through the course. Andy

video please! :)

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, krward said:

Skied that boat and the 2019, 2018...It is good and getting better, but not great in my opinion. If you ski 28 off at 34.2 in a course, it will not be a boat that allows you to progress if even run that pass consistently. Unfortunately it is why I own a 25 LSV surf machine for the family and own the Txi with 4 buddies we keep on private water. 

I guess that’s where opinions can differ. I don’t feel the wake at -28 off 34mph would hold you back at all. It’s quite phenomenal what they have been able to do with this boat to be honest. I didn’t buy it run course passes. I also have the luxury of two responses available to me to ski pretty much whenever I want but I wanted to still be able to ski our boat and the VTX more than allows me to do that. If people have the mind set that it should be as good as a response, they are going to be disappointed. That’s not physically possible. But if people are a bit open minded that it’s a wider, heavier vdrive boat, I think they will be more than impressed with the ski wake. Awesome setup though. I dream of having that setup or one like my friends who has a 2011 response with the LS3 in it and 2021 23 LSV being built in a few weeks. I can’t even afford his dock!

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, Skicolorado said:

Hey Andrew, I’m demoing a 2020 vtx on Friday. We will run it through the course. My wife skis 30mph 15 off and I’ll ski it at 34mph 28off. I’ll let you know what I think of wake and tracking through the course. Andy

Awesome! Be sure to let us know how it is! Keep an open mine that it isn’t a response, not to scare you but it is just reality. I think you will be very impressed with the ski wake for the boat. If possible take some lead weight with you to help balance the boat out. Even with a driver and a spotter the torque from the prop is going to lean the boat. 

Agree probably won’t progress. I’ve been tournament waterskiing for 25 yrs and stopped progressing probably 6 yrs ago at 35off. Never could get past the 2 ball. Since then I’ve torn my ankle out 3 times and ruptured my patellar tendon last summer all from waterskiing. With two kids now and a wife who likes to surf, I’m hoping this will be the boat for us. We are on a private lake but my wife and I are the only skiers. I just want to run some 22’s and 28’s don’t even care if I run 32 ever again. Then fill the tanks and surf. This is all new for me coming from the hard core waterski world. I’m not expecting the boat to ski like my SN 196 but it’s gotta ski good enough.

ahopkins22LSV

@Skicolorado I hear ya. I’ve never seen the blue loop other than pulling the rope in... but I was running down the course at 28 36mph. I was tournament skiing and doing clinics and all the stuff the “hardcore” waterski world does. I still do clinics because I enjoy them and I still want to work on stuff and I even still visit tournaments to watch friends skip. It’s nice to be away from it a bit to be honest though. I don’t miss stressing over tournament schedules and training. Once we had a kid and wife was pretty adamant about having a more family oriented boat. Trust me I wavered on this forever. I was so nervous about it. How could I give up my slalom tug? In the end, I ski the course much less and I haven’t run 22 at 36 in a few years. But I’m much happier because the family gets to spend more enjoyable time on the water. I can still ski our boat whenever I want just as hard open water as I would my response and I still get some decent sets in the course with friends. I don’t regret it for a second. Maybe I’ll try this boat in the course too after I run different line lengths and speeds open water. I do think it will be capable. It’s much better than the 2016-19. 

• Like 2

I’ll let ya’ll know on Friday night, got the demo set up on Friday morning. I’ll try to video! I’ll probably just shadow 28off still rehabbing a knee surgery but we’ll see if my wife can run a pass!

• Like 1
On 6/24/2020 at 5:13 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

I guess that’s where opinions can differ. I don’t feel the wake at -28 off 34mph would hold you back at all. It’s quite phenomenal what they have been able to do with this boat to be honest. I didn’t buy it run course passes. I also have the luxury of two responses available to me to ski pretty much whenever I want but I wanted to still be able to ski our boat and the VTX more than allows me to do that. If people have the mind set that it should be as good as a response, they are going to be disappointed. That’s not physically possible. But if people are a bit open minded that it’s a wider, heavier vdrive boat, I think they will be more than impressed with the ski wake. Awesome setup though. I dream of having that setup or one like my friends who has a 2011 response with the LS3 in it and 2021 23 LSV being built in a few weeks. I can’t even afford his dock!

Not disagreeing at all with your assessment. Just viewed the comment of “34 mph and 28 off” as likely someone running a course who has been to a dealer and “sold” on the VTX being the do everything as good as the purpose built boats. That said, the VTX is a great boat, don’t get me wrong, but it is just “good” at everything rather than great at a specific discipline. I chose the route of dedicated slalom boat with buddies (this was relatively affordable) and the family surf boat (painfully expensive) to have boats that are great for their respective discipline. I appreciate many/most don’t have that option and you have to make decisions that fit your situation. 

Demo day!!!! Well the big day came and now is gone. Here is my review.

I started the day off 34.2 28 off and skied very hesitant in the course. I was surprised on how the speed held and felt very smooth throughout the pull. I was expecting more of a pp rpm based feel but was impressed by the speed control system (not being 3 event) I shadowed 3 passes at 28 and was impressed. There is a bump but extremely soft. Then shadowed 32off. 32 off is very impressive felt like a direct drive, Hardly any bump and evenly smooth. There is much more spray than I’m used to but no effect on skiing at 28 and very minimal at 32. Then I was done, it passed my test.

Now for the wife, she was not as impressed. She skied 30mph 15 off and it was a very new bump for her. She said it was soft but was completely throwing her off. We tried multiple things, 22off the rear pylon 31.5 mph but the best thing we tried was running the boat in lift mode at 30mph 15off center pylon. Wake was smaller but washed out on one side. She tried 14passes and could not run a pass, but got close. I think she got 1,2,3,4 shadowed 5 and got 6.

Driving through the course. Super impressed. Obviously does not track like my Nautique 196 but it handled great. A little wobbly in lift mode but not bad. I would definitely punch the rutter window out to create some resistance.

Surf review. Unreal!!! Had 5 adults and a kiddo we all surfed one pass and was super impressed. Our lake varies in depth from 6ft to 17 ft deep. We found with 100% full ballest with plug and plays full and wedge at #2 it was awesome! My buddy said with out a doubt surfed better than his SN 230 and the SN G-21. 

Overall supper impressed! For what this boat is it’s amazing. To go from 28off in the course to amazing surf wake is unbelievable. With that said we still might get the TXI solely for the wife’s ski wake. We have a tough decision to make. 

Tommys Colorado is a great place and Cassidy our sales rep is exceptional. He video me and I’ll post the video when he sends it to me.

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

@Skicolorado that’s great to hear! Basically my exact experience except I haven’t tried the longer line lengths and slower speeds yet. One thing we found on our 2019 is that it was better to ski those speeds off the rear pylon. That put you all the way behind the rooster tail at 15 off. Might be the case on the 2020 too. Might be worth trying again for your wife. Glad to hear Cassidy is doing your guys right, he was very helpful here in Michigan when Tommy’s took over. 

We were out all day today, no skiing but did put some solid surf hours in. Even dialed in the regular wave which was impressive to say the least. Was happy to host @bamaboy for the day and get him on the water too. 

57480039-78A0-406D-BF51-7157B8796F0F.thumb.jpeg.1d35e8d68f9cef8c405adb757eddb8c1.jpeg

B8C5AEEF-F7A6-4398-A436-6FF5221B0D49.thumb.jpeg.a26c66b9d08e79ca484bdead7981ccc9.jpeg

1C5F3EB3-3FD8-4EB9-82FD-6CEC2D546AE8.thumb.jpeg.08ef0a221200bd0e0aab96dc6ec6d137.jpeg

C432E230-699C-4ECD-B70D-24977C33FD7C.thumb.jpeg.92028567397cce46ebbc3fbc1a86ff96.jpeg

421E68BB-95F0-48E7-90BB-5B88F807A41B.thumb.jpeg.ea947b354ec73057b71bd3dd285dd018.jpeg

03BDB1D2-0374-43B8-A3D4-E847D29E81BC.thumb.jpeg.e2805a540a173fd4e1472cac07c99579.jpeg

ahopkins22LSV
19 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Super cool gesture by @ahopkinsVTX to offer to host me for the day given the dam failure and lack of lake at my property.  I happily accepted and had a great time. 

I have surfed a lot of boats.  Different brands.   Different models.  The wave on the VTX is very good.  My comment was that without some other kind of advancement in technology it is about the best wave you can get out of a 20 foot boat.  Plenty of push.  Nice lip and good even at the tail end of the wave.  I would happily surf it all day long.  

Thanks again to @ahopkinsVTX and @ADDICTED2WAKE for the fun time on the water.  Definitely took my mind off the situation for a bit.  Plus I stopped at my wife's favorite bakery on the way up and earned some brownie points.  Double bonus!

Next time we ski too!

• Like 2

Awesome pics!! Looking forward to your ski review at slower speeds. I wish I could try the boat again and try more things for the wife at 30mph. Let me know if you can find a sweet spot at 30mph

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, Skicolorado said:

Awesome pics!! Looking forward to your ski review at slower speeds. I wish I could try the boat again and try more things for the wife at 30mph. Let me know if you can find a sweet spot at 30mph

I will. Unfortunately it probably will not be this weekend. Too many things going on and the lake will be too busy by 7am. 

I’m the proud owner of a ‘09 Response FXi. I’m interested to hear more about the ‘20 VTX ski wake at slower speeds. My wife and I use our FXi to ski the course at 28.6 and 30.4 and are wondering if the new VTX might be a worthy replacement for our boat someday. I’d be curious if the wake at slower speeds could be improved by putting some water in the front ballast and running the wedge in lift mode. Anxious to hear more... 

We tried 25% and 50% in front ballest and it did not help. Lift mode did make wake smaller but it is harder to drive. Still manageable but I would not recommend unless your very comfortable driving the course. I wish we would have tried 15off from the rear pylon. I think ahopkinsVTX is spot on with adding led on starboard side. I’m looking forward to his review at slower speeds.

ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, Skicolorado said:

We tried 25% and 50% in front ballest and it did not help. Lift mode did make wake smaller but it is harder to drive. Still manageable but I would not recommend unless your very comfortable driving the course. I wish we would have tried 15off from the rear pylon. I think ahopkinsVTX is spot on with adding led on starboard side. I’m looking forward to his review at slower speeds.

Yesterday would have been perfect for a Wally review with a coast guard orange life jackets, arms bent, straight legs and bent waist and that’s about it :lol: . I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many boats on our lake!