Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu 22ft VLX Raptor quick change oil hose

JerryT

Attempting to avoid one drop of oil inside the boat.  Malibu hooks up oil extractor pump inside the boat and claims they don't spill oil.  I know I wouldn't be that lucky.  Malibu 22ft VLX quick change oil drain hose with CAP on will not fit through transom drain plug hole like manual indicates.   MacGyvered mechanism and made it work.  Unscrewed  the cap, plugged the end of the hose with cork, used Jabsco pump and got 8 quarts out of a cold engine. Tim Mann video indicates oil won't drain out hose with cap off until dip stick and, or oil fill cap are removed.  Can anyone verify that?  Another post indicates using an adaptor after unscrewing cap.  Anyone know what the adaptor looks like or where to purchase? 

It will gravity drain, but it is slower than mud without one or the other caps off to allow air into the crankcase. There is a technical name for the effect, but I can’t remember it. I had an assortment of brass fittings that I Rube Goldberg’d together to make my own adapter for my vacuum pump. Normally I just let it drain all week in the garage and swap filters and top off mid week so I don’t mess with a vacuum. Sounds like you don’t have that option. If you don’t have a bilge drain in the deck, Marine Hardware makes the “T” handle drains with 1 1/8” holes that are a breeze to instal and will make your life a lot easier. My ‘10 had one, but some reason my ‘19 doesn’t.

Highly recommend picking up one of these, you can use a spark plug boot to adapt from the engine drain tube to extractor tube.  You will extract all the oil in about 5 mins with this pump regardless if engine oil is warm or cold.

https://www.harborfreight.com/23-gallon-manual-fluid-extractor-62643.html?cid=paid_google|||62643&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=CjwKCAjwvOHzBRBoEiwA48i6AmG3QcOXEFwrvH6c8ub57P120v80wIH_d_6Y19w2BOJI8TGabDywfRoCvOsQAvD_BwE

I can state for a fact that oil didn't drain with the cap off the drain hose, even when the hose is lying on the floor of the engine bay (at least on my previous boat).  Our A22 had to go back to the factory after it's first season for some gel blemishes and part of the deal was handling the winterization which I believe they reimbursed the dealer to do.  When I picked up the boat in February, I had all the drain plugs in a bag, zip tied to the steering wheel and put the boat away for two months.  When I pulled it out to reinstall the plugs, I had an extra cap and it was from the oil drain.  I immediately started to panic once I realized it's familiar look and found the hose laying on the floor tucked under the engine without a drop of oil.  I figured they forgot to fill the engine with oil but it was full.  The dealer said it was winterized before it went to the factory so it made a trip from STL to Tennessee and back, then a 45 minute drive to my house and then sat for 2 months.  Maybe I got lucky but I'll never forget that panic of thinking I had 8 quarts of oil in the hull of the boat.

As far as extractors go, I purchased all the adapters and fittings at Lowes in the air compressor aisle.  I take cap off drain hose, screw on the female fitting and connect just like to seat an air hose together.  Thought I had a picture but can't find it.  My 22VLX is by far the easiest boat I've had to do fluid changes and zero mess with top mount oil filter.