Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Corona virus and new boat delivery

greg2222

28 minutes ago, dlb said:

Time to draw up a new set of contingency plans, to be revised daily and weekly for the foreseeable future. No one has clarity.

This is very true.  I manage a large global sales target and right now I am drawing up drastically different numbers each week (if not each day.)  When asked what my confidence is in the latest numbers I publish my answer is "zero confidence" because it is literally impossible to predict tomorrow, next week or next month. Thankfully my leadership just sort of laughs and understands the situation.

• Like 1

Yup, I’m in the same boat. Even with the surprising new understanding from the uppers. (Serious...but yes pun Intended!)

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Has anyone confirmed if it is just a temporary shutdown or if numerous workers were actually laid off? The reason I ask is everybody's around here is laying off everyone because of the new house bill 6201 for covid19.

Malibu obviously has more than 50 employees..

But everyone on hook for 2wks 100% pay, and 12wks at 2/3 pay, .. and to qualify it is as something simple as a child home from school.. 

Granted 10 days or 2wks of the 12wks at 2/3 pay can be taken away from personal days, but if they get more than that via benefits/ vacation it doesn't affect that either. So a minimum of 10wks+ and then + 2wks above or around 12-14wks.. 

from what I understand if your over 500 employees there's no way out of it..

FMLA now affects ALL employers with 1-499 employees yea crazy , employers less than 50 or 25 I forget can apply for an exemption to the 12wks ...good luck trying to get that approved before April 2nd, so this is why everyone is laying off everyone since last week. .. 

And as far as I know they haven't really decided on the exact repayment methodology and qualifications... so your paying for it all upfront essentially hoping you'll get reimbursed at some point down the road if you're still in business... Id be very curious to know if Malibu laid off a ton of folks for this shut down?

now if they did lay off one thing I would be concerned about is how many of those people actually return when things get back to work.. if there's a bunch of new people you may have build quality issues.. 

Edited by The Hulk
42 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Has anyone confirmed if it is just a temporary shutdown or if numerous workers were actually laid off? The reason I ask is everybody's around here is laying off everyone because of the new house bill 6201 for covid19.

Malibu obviously has more than 50 employees..

But everyone on hook for 2wks 100% pay, and 12wks at 2/3 pay, .. and to qualify it is as something simple as a child home from school.. 

Granted 10 days or 2wks of the 12wks at 2/3 pay can be taken away from personal days, but if they get more than that via benefits/ vacation it doesn't affect that either. So a minimum of 10wks+ and then + 2wks above or around 12-14wks.. 

from what I understand if your over 500 employees there's no way out of it..

FMLA now affects ALL employers with 1-499 employees yea crazy , employers less than 50 or 25 I forget can apply for an exemption to the 12wks ...good luck trying to get that approved before April 2nd, so this is why everyone is laying off everyone since last week. .. 

And as far as I know they haven't really decided on the exact repayment methodology and qualifications... so your paying for it all upfront essentially hoping you'll get reimbursed at some point down the road if you're still in business... Id be very curious to know if Malibu laid off a ton of folks for this shut down?

now if they did lay off one thing I would be concerned about is how many of those people actually return when things get back to work.. if there's a bunch of new people you may have build quality issues.. 

It was communicated as a temporary shutdown but for how long is probably anyone's guess. They stated 2 weeks but who knows if in 2 weeks things are better or worse in and around TN. If they did lay people off then I don't think there is a huge concern with those people not coming back... where are they going to go?  It's not like there are a ton of manufacturing jobs unfilled in Loudon at the moment people are going to run to (unless you are making ventilators, etc.)  Yes.. maybe some find temp work where there is increased demand but my guess is they would be happy to return to the factory as soon as it opens back up.

Our spray date was today (26th). Our dealer who was on the Malibu factory call Tuesday said a 2 week shutdown. Still hoping to get our boat in time for Memorial Day weekend. We'll see. All the family's healthy..... getting the new boat is way down on priorities at the moment.

• Like 2

I'm sure there will be great deals on the market for all in stock boats. A lot of dealer still have 2019s!!

Looks like this year will be the worst for all markets - specially for boats. A lot of people lost or suspend jobs or businesses  , even all goes back "normal"  in few months there will be few people want buy boat.   Season suppose to open in two weeks but almost all is closed . Looks like Malibu factory will be closed longer then April 7 - looking for statistic as is growing  ,Factory was shut down as the case number was 350 today is 1500 just in 5 days . 

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, Chappy said:

I will try to pull it up but also saw a boating ad on IG claiming that boating was social distancing. Not sure how I feel about that.

If you go out on the boat with just your family how is the hurting anything? If anything it’s helping. Mental health could be a serious issue with being 100% contained to your house. Now of course, don’t invite a bunch of friends and go tie up with ten other boats, but if yours just out with the ones you live with, I can’t see it being anything but a good thing. 

7 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

If you go out on the boat with just your family how is the hurting anything? If anything it’s helping. Mental health could be a serious issue with being 100% contained to your house. Now of course, don’t invite a bunch of friends and go tie up with ten other boats, but if yours just out with the ones you live with, I can’t see it being anything but a good thing. 

Yup.  Our gov said to go outside with your family.  Hunt, fish, hike.  Just keep distance from others.  Been out on the bike alone and to the dog park with the 4 people living in my house.  When the lake defrosts the 4 of us will be out in the boat. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, greg2222 said:

I'm sure there will be great deals on the market for all in stock boats. A lot of dealer still have 2019s!!

Looks like this year will be the worst for all markets - specially for boats. A lot of people lost or suspend jobs or businesses  , even all goes back "normal"  in few months there will be few people want buy boat.   Season suppose to open in two weeks but almost all is closed . Looks like Malibu factory will be closed longer then April 7 - looking for statistic as is growing  ,Factory was shut down as the case number was 350 today is 1500 just in 5 days . 

Waiting on Paragon deals!!! Guessing malibu put the 27lsv on the back burner...

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yup.  Our gov said to go outside with your family.  Hunt, fish, hike.  Just keep distance from others.  Been out on the bike alone and to the dog park with the 4 people living in my house.  When the lake defrosts the 4 of us will be out in the boat. 

Personally, my whole family has never been so excited for boat season to arrive.  I am 6 weeks out from my achillies surgery, but our dock went in yesterday...my kids wants to know how soon we can be at the lake, pretty sure my they have fully written off the rest of the school year, and they are even getting bored of their video games.

My wife informed me one our walk today that having a boat is essential for life.  We don’t have one at this time.  It is stuck in the factory somewhere between spraying the gel coat and the water test....

Let’s hope and pray that there is light at the end of the tunnel soon.  

14 minutes ago, dlb said:

My wife informed me one our walk today that having a boat is essential for life.  We don’t have one at this time.  It is stuck in the factory somewhere between spraying the gel coat and the water test....

Let’s hope and pray that there is light at the end of the tunnel soon.  

ouch.  Time for a back-up boat? i mean if its essential......

Well, I guarantee my crew will be on the water as soon as it’s possible. I would also assume my buddies will too.  

Like I said previously in this thread, my buddy lives and works in Loudon.  He said he hired a dude who got laid off by Malibu last week. I know this is second hand, but he told me that Malibu has no intention of starting production back up until middle of summer.  

Hopefully that info is not accurate. 

It's interesting for sure.  Malibu is closed and so is my local dealer.  I would imagine that many other dealers are closed as well.  I have a 2020 23 LSV sitting on the dealers lot still is the factory wrapped white cover along with a 2019 23LSV that I still own / making payments on sitting in storage that is for sale.  I am very interested to see how this all shakes out.

I have not put my 2019 on the water this season but I am starting to think that it might just be the best thing to give our family of 4 another option for some time out of the house.  At the 50 hour mark so a few additional hours will not hurt me.

FWIW, here is the boat I have for sale -  I have a price that I need to get for it that I don't want to advertise.  I know, that sounds stupid :)

IMG_0328.JPG

36 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

It's interesting for sure.  Malibu is closed and so is my local dealer.  I would imagine that many other dealers are closed as well.  I have a 2020 23 LSV sitting on the dealers lot still is the factory wrapped white cover along with a 2019 23LSV that I still own / making payments on sitting in storage that is for sale.  I am very interested to see how this all shakes out.

I have not put my 2019 on the water this season but I am starting to think that it might just be the best thing to give our family of 4 another option for some time out of the house.  At the 50 hour mark so a few additional hours will not hurt me.

FWIW, here is the boat I have for sale -  I have a price that I need to get for it that I don't want to advertise.  I know, that sounds stupid :)

IMG_0328.JPG

Sweet ride!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I am calling my dealer this week to see what the scoop is on getting my boat out of storage. Nervous...

I call mine last week to get one of our boats out and they said it’s a waiting game right now.  Until our State lifts the stay at home order, the boat is unavailable.  Fortunately it’s cold this week and I still have my RLXi available.  I can fit that one in the garage, thankfully.

We are open but running on a skeleton crew. Basically service. Showroom is closed to the public. We do have a salesman up there making calls. Just me and a tech in service. We have pre-owned boats we can work on and a few projects that normally take would take awhile that we are working on. But if things continue to go down hill the owner may change his mind about us being here. I havent got any calls in the past week and a half to summerize boats. And normally by now I would have had at least 15+ dropped off, maybe more. 

53 minutes ago, asnowman said:

This is why ours live at the house, its on our schedule.

20191025_185659.thumb.jpg.17e63332ba61f664aa0d0bda16e3bbb1.jpg

least year i put them away ready to hit the lake, now just waiting for the water to warm up.

I totally understand.  If I had the space for our VLX, it would have been stored at home.  Hopefully I'll be able to put something together at the end of this season for it.  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, asnowman said:

ouch.  Time for a back-up boat? i mean if its essential......

We sold our 2002 in late February anticipating a delivery of the new one this week.  First time in 30 years without “our” boat.

I guess the 2 kayaks will be getting some more frequent use.

I'll be curious to see if the marine dealers in MN can lobby the governor to be added to the list of essential businesses (like auto repair shops).  Going to be a lot of cranky people if you can't get your boat out of service or storage, especially when the governor told everyone to hike/fish/hunt.  For now mostly just the rivers are open, but won't be too much longer before some lakes open up.