Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Corona virus and new boat delivery

greg2222

I had a spray date of March 19th and was supposed to tour factory today but they called me Friday and said tours were cancelled but production was still going on for now. I’ll have to check with dealer and see where it stands but I’m betting it will be a few weeks now before they finish it. 

47 minutes ago, 98sportsterlx said:

I had a spray date of March 19th and was supposed to tour factory today but they called me Friday and said tours were cancelled but production was still going on for now. I’ll have to check with dealer and see where it stands but I’m betting it will be a few weeks now before they finish it. 

cancelling the tour makes sense - but ask for production photos!

our spray date was the 18th.  Guessing our boat is done except for water test and final prep/shipping.  Gonna sit there for a while now.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

cancelling the tour makes sense - but ask for production photos!

when they cancelled I asked for some production photos, we will see if I get any

7 minutes ago, COOP said:

So, you would just expect them to open the factory for you?

No, I was assuming that if the factory was still running and the issue is that the transportation chain is slow and might not get the boat picked up before everything shuts down.

My local dealer is "shut down" - sorta.  So you can still get your boat serviced, probably pick it up from storage or even buy one.  Just not in the normal way.

89974253_10157381276279514_2115669747201736704_o.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
4 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

No, I was assuming that if the factory was still running and the issue is that the transportation chain is slow and might not get the boat picked up before everything shuts down.

My local dealer is "shut down" - sorta

Nah - the Factory shut down at the end of the day yesterday...Not sure for how long though.  Otherwise I would be entertaining your idea :-) 

Just now, gahvey said:

Nah - the Factory shut down at the end of the day yesterday...Not sure for how long though.  Otherwise I would be entertaining your idea :-) 

I suppose it depends on what it is worth to them to keep one person there to deal with shipments - but that would assume they had a stack of completed boats to ship out.

5 minutes ago, COOP said:

In one of my previous posts I mentioned how long. Two weeks, but could go longer.

Thanks - Obviously missed that one.

I need to reach out to my dealer about getting my boat as well.  I think they'll be able to accommodate the request, but first I need to get my hoist moved from our rental house to our new house.  Then I'll get the boat request going.  No sense in having it if I can't put it on the hoist. 

Def going to throw a monkey wrench into new builds/delivery dates for the entire boating industry. 

Barletta Pontoons just posted this on FB:

With the ever-changing circumstances and challenges that COVID-19 is presenting all of us, we wanted to post a message to all our future Barletta family members. Many of you have questions, as do we, about the status of future production and deliveries. Currently, Barletta is abiding by Indiana and Michigan’s Stay-at-Home mandate. Production has stopped, and administration has transitioned to a work-from-home environment. At this time, we will not be able to provide delivery dates for Barlettas on order. Please check with your selling dealer, as they will have the most timely and up-to-date information we can provide. Even when a boat is ready to ship, there are many other circumstances that come into play. We are doing our best to navigate these new seas. All we can ask for is a little patience and a quick resolution to the challenges we are currently facing. Be safe and healthy – we’ll see you on the water soon!

11 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

My guess is the 2 week break might be good thing in the end for Malibu leadership to rework a plan for the year to ensure things aren't a total disaster (meaning a bunch of unsold boats at the end of the year.)  I could see all non-sold orders just getting cancelled or being cut WAY back as far a numbers go. You have to figure that there will be a much higher percentage of "sold orders" where the deal falls through (simply because people looked at their portfolio or the business they are in just got wrecked) and those boats will end up in dealer inventory.  I would probably even go as far as having dealers reach out to people's whos spray date is still 2+ weeks out and have them reconfirm their order (give people and out if it is no longer something they can really afford at the moment.)  The two week production break gives everyone a chance find the right path forward.

• Like 2

Unlike some other manufacturers in the last crisis (may be different now), my understanding is that every boat Malibu makes is a true order from a dealer that the dealer owns.  Malibu just helps w floor planning expense.  Thus, it's the dealers, not Malibu that will be authoring the over (or under) inventory outcome of this.  Essentially, Malibu's job is just to fill the orders, not business plan for their dealer's stock.  

• Like 2

Upon factory restart customer ordered boats will be prioritized.  Dealer stock will be secondary.  

Obviously Malibu does not want a bunch of “new” boats setting in dealer inventory that have to be discounted to move.  The economic situation through the summer will be drastically different than a month ago.  Time to draw up a new set of contingency plans, to be revised daily and weekly for the foreseeable future. No one has clarity.

53 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Unlike some other manufacturers in the last crisis (may be different now), my understanding is that every boat Malibu makes is a true order from a dealer that the dealer owns.  Malibu just helps w floor planning expense.  Thus, it's the dealers, not Malibu that will be authoring the over (or under) inventory outcome of this.  Essentially, Malibu's job is just to fill the orders, not business plan for their dealer's stock.  

True but I believe Malibu puts an annual number on each dealer.. meaning dealers have to commit to a # of boats each year.  Maybe it is just the regional sales managers drawing up the numbers for each dealer so they can hit their targets, but from what I have heard a dealers commit at the beginning of the year to production slots so that the factory can plan out production. 

• Like 2