Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Corona virus and new boat delivery

greg2222

I’m having my new M240 in production right now and as per my dealer supposed to be ready 4/1/2020 but there is question if situation with virus can complicate this production and delivery process?

boat was ordered November.

im not sure if there is someone from Malibu boats to answer the question??

im not sure if there is an option to call to Malibu 

I have to imagine it is only a matter of time before they shut down down for a few weeks. The Big 3 auto makers shut down and let's be honest the luxury boat market isn't as important as the auto industry is.

1 hour ago, Chappy said:

I have to imagine it is only a matter of time before they shut down down for a few weeks. The Big 3 auto makers shut down and let's be honest the luxury boat market isn't as important as the auto industry is.

I don't think those are directly comparable.  Malibu doesn't have a whole bunch of people working right next to each other like automakers do.  Generally just a few at each station, and total employment is much lower.  But they could still shut down....

I think it is only a matter of time before most every state shuts down all non-essential businesses then the decision will be made for Malibu.  And, they couldn’t get engines after the GM strike.  I wonder how many day supply they have before that is an issue again now that GM is back down.  

• Like 2

Our spray date is the 24th. The tours are cancelled but not production at this time. Our boats may go down the line beside each other. Ours is a 23 LSV.

There are a few built ones in NorCal - I am debating if I will buy the one I put a deposit on if someone else wants it 

23 lsv white with tan interior 

norcal 

Edited by audipwr1

My buddy is a regional manager for the Tractor store in Lenoir, he owns a 23 LSV.  He just hired a dude who told him that he left Malibu because he was told they will be cutting back and he doesn’t want to be without a job.  I asked my buddy to ask him some more questions, but he hasn’t gotten back to me  

So I would assume they will be announcing something very soon. Sucks for the people that have already paid for their boats, but I guess with all this crap going on it was to be expected. 

Mass layoffs as not to have to pay 2/3 during soon to be 2wks mandated shut downs not if but when they happen. 

Basically Employer will be reimbursed for only 2/3 worker pay during a 2wk mandatory shut down, it will come off taxes at end of year, but many large companies around here started laying off floor workers as the argument is why pay now, then hope and wait to be reimbursed by gov, and what if there is no end of year-profit to reduce that amount off taxes anyways? Yea you may get tax credit..if your still in business.. 

Covid19 actual sick pay will vary state by state..for now.. but then what happens after a mandated shut down and ppl actually do get sick? that's currently varying state to state but guessing some national plan will overtake at some point to simplify.

If your a work for hire state your incentive is to lay off at the moment. You can always rehire, and at some point how can the state argue you were not affected by covid19 to deny  companies paying unemployment? Restaurants and other businesses mandated and greatly affected will not have to but that's going to be an easy argument.

Problem you have at moment with Malibu as with everything else is the liability of not shutting down when someone does get infected, sadly that also will trigger more layoffs. 

I hate being doom and gloom but here are a few problems, work closure time, sick workers time off, including other family members, isolation issues, containment protocols, and I hate to say this.. soon to be mass cancellations and forthcoming bankruptcies, cancelled/defaulted loans on boats. Dealership closures and so on. 3-12+ months of this is going to destroy just about everything.

Based on what I've seen overseas I'll be surprised if 50% of boats not started even finish this year or have buyers remaining. Hopefully not the case but without a magic potion how can it be anything other. It's not like they are all fully self isolating and living at the factory and consumers are not being affected.

The breaking news this week and after will be easy to predict.. " This week's layoffs and jobless claims rose higher than expected"... 

Edited by The Hulk
7 minutes ago, greg2222 said:

I think you right , my problem is here I PAID for this boat already. Not sure if dealer paid to Malibu but this is huge problem now.

Sounds like they are still operating, you currently do not have a huge problem.  Talk to your dealer and see if they can get you progress pics.  Worry about things you can control, there are enough of those to deal with.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, greg2222 said:

I think you right , my problem is here I PAID for this boat already. Not sure if dealer paid to Malibu but this is huge problem now.

Fully paid might get you moved up the line! 

51 minutes ago, greg2222 said:

Paid or just a deposit?

• Like 2
17 hours ago, justgary said:

I don't think those are directly comparable.  Malibu doesn't have a whole bunch of people working right next to each other like automakers do.  Generally just a few at each station, and total employment is much lower.  But they could still shut down....

Having been to the factory, theres more than you think. especially when they are rolling the fiberglass down, and working inside the hull doing wiring and stuff. Plus, just think how many people touch the boats going down the line.

16 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I think it is only a matter of time before most every state shuts down all non-essential businesses then the decision will be made for Malibu.  And, they couldn’t get engines after the GM strike.  I wonder how many day supply they have before that is an issue again now that GM is back down.  

I hadnt thought of engine supply issue again.

And GM 

1 minute ago, COOP said:

I hadnt thought of engine supply issue again.

And GM probably isn’t the only supplier shutting down.  There is probably stock parts for some amount of time, but who knows how long.  

and how much of GM's resources will be devoted to building ventilators and or other necessity item in the very near future? My guess is the recreational boating Marine division is probably considered highly non-essential...

1 hour ago, COOP said:

Having been to the factory, theres more than you think. especially when they are rolling the fiberglass down, and working inside the hull doing wiring and stuff. Plus, just think how many people touch the boats going down the line.

Seems like they would be wearing respirators anyways for much of the hull layup and gel process

1 hour ago, COOP said:

I have been to the factory.  The point is that it's only a few people working at a time, and Malibu doesn't employ thousands of workers.  Besides, who's to say that polyester resin fumes don't kill the virus on contact?

Also, it's hard to imagine getting the virus at work if nobody at work has the virus.  I suppose that deliveries could bring it to work, but for the most part home to work and back should be safe.  The big problem seems to be when people get time off, they immediately head to the store to buy TP and sanitizer, or maybe travel to Florida and celebrate another day of life.   I say if you work 'em harder, they don't have time for that nonsense....

I think that for March and early April spray dates parts won’t be an issue.  My spray date is today.  I had to lock down the order in mid January for all options and color by February 1 for any March spray date.  So April spray dates would have had a mid February lock down in options.  So orders after mid February, that it is anybodies guess on parts being available for late April and May spray dates.

The issue in my mind is the health of the employees and delivery people bringing parts to the factory and boats to dealers.  Tennessee has over 500 confirmed cases as of this morning, puts them in the middle of the second highest 10 states reporting confirmed cases.  As with many other current reports, the next few days will tell us a lot. 

26 minutes ago, justgary said:

The big problem seems to be when people get time off,   I say if you work 'em harder, they don't have time for that nonsense....

So, chinese sweat shop is what you advocate for? Lol!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I hate being doom and gloom

Man, are you sure? Out of all all media, and everything else on the internet including reddit, you are the doomiest and gloomiest person I've ever seen posting about CV-19.