Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swapping from bag to tank for center ballast

The center bag on my 02vlx finally died. So while looking at replacement possibilities I have found that I can fairly easily put in the tank that is used in the older V-rides and the cost is about the same as a new bag. 

But if I went to a hard tank I could get rid of the large floor hatch opening I have. Then fill the hole with coosa  board and switch to the much smaller access hatch the V-ride uses.  Which to me looks cleaner and would allow me to build a bigger sub box. 

So my question for my fellow projectors is how hard is it to pull the fuel tank?

And help talk me out of this project. lol

To much time stuck at home has me looking at projects for the boat.

3 hours ago, cowwboy said:

The center bag on my 02vlx finally died. So while looking at replacement possibilities I have found that I can fairly easily put in the tank that is used in the older V-rides and the cost is about the same as a new bag. 

But if I went to a hard tank I could get rid of the large floor hatch opening I have. Then fill the hole with coosa  board and switch to the much smaller access hatch the V-ride uses.  Which to me looks cleaner and would allow me to build a bigger sub box. 

So my question for my fellow projectors is how hard is it to pull the fuel tank?

And help talk me out of this project. lol

To much time stuck at home has me looking at projects for the boat.

Get another bag and save $$$ and hours.  Plus, when skiing comes back you can store them on top of the unfilled bag.  Plus, doesn't the bag hold more weight (ballast)?

Upgrade your stereo or even put in heated seats.

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

Get another bag and save $$$ and hours.  Plus, when skiing comes back you can store them on top of the unfilled bag.  Plus, doesn't the bag hold more weight (ballast)?

Upgrade your stereo or even put in heated seats.

Bag and tank are about the same cost. 

The factory bag was stated at 300lb and the tank is close.

This would enable me to upgrade the subs, as I'm capped at box volume now. If I got rid of the larger floor hatch I could remove the upright for the drivers console and have the sub box go from the center walkway to the hull side. So hopefully doubling the sub capacity. Already running a DD 12 with 1800w going to it, so really at a cap for the area unless I spend stupid money. 

2 hours ago, cowwboy said:

Bag and tank are about the same cost. 

The factory bag was stated at 300lb and the tank is close.

This would enable me to upgrade the subs, as I'm capped at box volume now. If I got rid of the larger floor hatch I could remove the upright for the drivers console and have the sub box go from the center walkway to the hull side. So hopefully doubling the sub capacity. Already running a DD 12 with 1800w going to it, so really at a cap for the area unless I spend stupid money. 

I have a 600 lb. bag in the center locker.  Easy.

1800 watts, that's pretty extreme!  You must really like bass!  QBOMB?

Qbomb is a cheap premade box. Me and my box builder built 3 diffrent boxes to find the best output for my boat before we built the rhino lined Baltic Birch box that's in it. 

It's really cool hearing the difference in the boxes. Even this one if you pull it out from under the helm it drops output substantially.

I have 1400w going to my tower alone. I may have gone big at one time. But anymore my boat is average around my lakes. 

What size bag did you get in there?