Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
2020LSV23

Which battery setting for stationary stereo play

Recommended Posts

2020LSV23

Afternoon friends,

Can someone please advise me for the new boats which is best battery settings for boat turned off alternator off playing music on the water? Should I be using # 2 deep cycle only?

Share this post


Link to post
ahopkinsVTX

What batteries do you have? Many dealers put two of the same batteries in. Which is fine, and then it is also fine to choose battery 1 or 2 for just sitting. Then you can switch to 1+2 when you go to leave so you have plenty of juice to start the engine and it will recharge the battery you were using to play music.

Share this post


Link to post
MLA

Is your switch a 1/2/BOTH/OFF or OFF/ON/COMBINE? 

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner
Posted (edited)

1/2/both/off, put on 2 for stationary engine off rocking out.

 

If you do 1 and 2 it will stress the alternator pretty high if both are low and you have to pick 1+2 to start the engine. 1+2 with low batteries is a big load on the alternator to get them charged back up.

 

Honestly I'd get battery option 3 installed. VSR/ACR and different battery switch. Will take the decision out of it all and a lot less stress on the alternator when charging the batts up.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

Share this post


Link to post
Ronnie
1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

1/2/both/off, put on 2 for stationary engine off rocking out.

 

If you do 1 and 2 it will stress the alternator pretty high if both are low and you have to pick 1+2 to start the engine. 1+2 with low batteries is a big load on the alternator to get them charged back up.

 

Honestly I'd get battery option 3 installed. VSR/ACR and different battery switch. Will take the decision out of it all and a lot less stress on the alternator when charging the batts up.

^ This, I aways order with Battery Option 3. I think it should be the ONLY option. I also think that most buyers aren't aware of that option and what it does. I ALSO think they charge too much for it.

Share this post


Link to post
David

If you have the basic switch only, without the automatic relay, and both batteries are identical, when at rest you can alternate between battery #1 & #2 outing to outing. This could prolong the lifespan of both batteries.

On another note, even for 'deep-cycle' batteries, deep discharges seriously shorten battery(s) lifespan. Try and monitor the voltage so that it doesn't fall too far below 12.0 volts (considered to be a 50% discharge with 10.5V considered a total discharge). If you do a lot of play at rest, a smart multi-stage shore charger is a good idea. After a deep discharge and a brief trip back to the ramp or boathouse, it's likely you won't have a full recharge.        

Share this post


Link to post
CJAY

You can always add 6V golf cart batteries.  They tend to do better than deep cycles for at rest listening and can take more of a beating

Share this post


Link to post
MLA
20 hours ago, CJAY said:

You can always add 6V golf cart batteries.  They tend to do better than deep cycles for at rest listening and can take more of a beating

Not only that, but a pair of 6V typically offer much more Ah then a pair of group-24, with roughly the same footprint. 

Share this post


Link to post
gregtay
45 minutes ago, MLA said:

Not only that, but a pair of 6V typically offer much more Ah then a pair of group-24, with roughly the same footprint. 

Not a bad idea... would this allow (in the newer boats) the stereo to stay on while turning the boat off?  Really miss the "ACC" key option for listening to the stereo.

Share this post


Link to post
MLA
8 hours ago, gregtay said:

Not a bad idea... would this allow (in the newer boats) the stereo to stay on while turning the boat off?  Really miss the "ACC" key option for listening to the stereo.

No, that is a straight forward switched 12V scenario. Would have to locate the media black box's switch IGN and relocate it to a rocker/toggle switch thats fed with a constant 12V. 

Share this post


Link to post
onwi
On 3/20/2020 at 6:17 PM, MLA said:

Is your switch a 1/2/BOTH/OFF or OFF/ON/COMBINE? 

What group types of batteries would be best for an OFF/ON/COMBINE switch with an ACR?  I'm adding a 2nd battery and understand I don't want an old and a new battery.  But I have no idea on what types of batteries are best for starting and for house loads.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...