Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Downloading apps/music on the 2020 OS

G Spot

• 5 months later...
On 3/26/2020 at 11:11 AM, gahvey said:

This does allow OTA updates from what I understand (when the boat is connected to wifi).  Hope I am understanding that correctly.

Yes that is accurate. I downloaded the new update when connected to the hotspot in my phone. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, travis5550 said:

Have there been any updates from Navionics or other map solutions that are now/will be available on the 2020/2021 OS?

Nope, I commented about it on a Malibu survey I took and someone from Malibu actually called me.  Her suggestion was to use Iboat.  I have idea if its possible since my boat is still in storage but I'll be keeping my Navionics subscription and using it on my phone.

I installed the latest software update over WiFi today, and the Android version remains unchanged at 6.0.1 with a date of 2016. I didn't notice any differences after the update and can only assume it was minor stability updates/bug fixes. Note this is on a brand new 2021 boat. I'm pretty disappointed Malibu would ship boats with a "new Android OS" as of the 2020 line with something that is already 5 years out of date, including for security patches. My concern over time is that the apps that do work now will discontinue support for this OS version and we will be left with a fancy set of on/off buttons. Has anyone spoken to Malibu to understand if/how they intend to update this system over time? 

EDIT: based on the experience below, updating over WiFi is probably not a good idea...I read the following thread where another user mentioned they did this, which is why I tried: https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/75228-spotify-on-media-screen/&page=2&tab=comments#comment-1161066

Edited by travis5550
  • Sad 1
18 hours ago, travis5550 said:

I installed the latest software update over WiFi today, and the Android version remains unchanged at 6.0.1 with a date of 2016. I didn't notice any differences after the update and can only assume it was minor stability updates/bug fixes. Note this is on a brand new 2021 boat. I'm pretty disappointed Malibu would ship boats with a "new Android OS" as of the 2020 line with something that is already 5 years out of date, including for security patches. My concern over time is that the apps that do work now will discontinue support for this OS version and we will be left with a fancy set of on/off buttons. Has anyone spoken to Malibu to understand if/how they intend to update this system over time? 

I also updated via WIFI, but my screen locked up and was like this for almost 2 hours. No idea what it’s doing. 

7B5720C1-1F3D-45BB-B959-B96F38A2594A.jpeg

8 minutes ago, dwc032 said:

I also updated via WIFI, but my screen locked up and was like this for almost 2 hours. No idea what it’s doing. 

@dwc032 very sorry to see you ran into trouble with this - this looks like it may need a call to Malibu service. I edited my post above with a word of caution about doing this based on your experience. as I mentioned in the edit, I recently learned this was possible through a separate thread. hopefully it's something as simple as selecting the restart option, but definitely don't take my word on it, as I'm not sure if that would make anything worse. best of luck with getting this resolved! 

19 minutes ago, travis5550 said:

@dwc032 very sorry to see you ran into trouble with this - this looks like it may need a call to Malibu service. I edited my post above with a word of caution about doing this based on your experience. as I mentioned in the edit, I recently learned this was possible through a separate thread. hopefully it's something as simple as selecting the restart option, but definitely don't take my word on it, as I'm not sure if that would make anything worse. best of luck with getting this resolved! 

I did try and reboot the system, but there is no way to get the line to move up or down.  I sent this picture to my service advisor at my dealer.  

11 hours ago, dwc032 said:

Please bear with me since I have never seen one of these screens.  The ext4 file system is a Linux type.  The bottom line on your display is telling you that android was told to mount a partition but does not know how since the type is ext4.

What buttons do you have available to try to make the selected line move up and down?  Android usually uses the volume up and down buttons on a regular tablet or phone.

Do you have a slot for an external SD card?

8 hours ago, justgary said:

Please bear with me since I have never seen one of these screens.  The ext4 file system is a Linux type.  The bottom line on your display is telling you that android was told to mount a partition but does not know how since the type is ext4.

What buttons do you have available to try to make the selected line move up and down?  Android usually uses the volume up and down buttons on a regular tablet or phone.

Do you have a slot for an external SD card?

No way to move the line up or down and the volume key doesn’t work either. I finally just turned the Perko switch off and on and all works as it should now. Who knows

• Like 3
13 hours ago, dwc032 said:

I finally just turned the Perko switch off and on and all works as it should now. Who knows

Just like a computer.

Always try the old power cycle/reboot 1st.

• 10 months later...
On 3/26/2020 at 11:11 AM, gahvey said:

This does allow OTA updates from what I understand (when the boat is connected to wifi).  Hope I am understanding that correctly.

Is there no way to connect my 2022 boat to cellular??  Can I connect it to cellular or do I need a data hotspot??

I believe the only way to do that would be to tether off of your phone (or cellular device) if you can do that.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:42 PM, csleaver said:

I usually just hotspot my phone to download OTA updates.  Make sure your boat batteries are charged up before actually performing the update.

I have a 5G AT&T hotspot.   I paired it to my boats Wi-Fi and I am using that for the data on my boat.   I hope Malibu will figure out a way to add a cellular module just like SiriusXM for the radio until the boats start coming with cellular modems as standard equipment