Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Downloading apps/music on the 2020 OS

G Spot

Spent some time playing with the new dash this morning. Downloaded the Amazon music app and started downloading music. Prob add Spotify next  

Anyone know how to check how much storage is available? Or how big the storage was to start with?

Anyone else play with the system and identify “must have” apps? 

So far it seems very cool!

D4D76FA1-3E2E-4EA3-93A9-858D2C9E9174.jpeg

6894D75C-4956-43AC-9AB6-48D77E80539E.jpeg

I think I remember seeing 500G. Boat is coming back today so I will check. It is there. I also want to spend some more time on cracking and getting Google Play Store. I was success on getting it loaded, but it spins out. I just need to match up the appropriate version of Google Play Services with this version of OS on the Viper3. If anyone else is working on it or wants to collaborate then PM me. With PlayStore I hope to get better Navionics and management. 

I think I remember seeing that the tablet was an Amazon fire tablet.  If so, I think these instructions would work.
https://getyeti.webflow.io/posts/how-to-install-the-google-playstore-in-your-amazon-fire-tablet

I did the same set of instructions on my fire tablet at home and it worked perfectly.

On 3/20/2020 at 5:21 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Can you download playlists you’ve already made from spodify or do you have to do it on the boat again too?

Once you log into Spotify on the boat you can download your previously made playlists 

• Like 2

I love that they've integrated Android in the new helm for native app support.  That is so excellent.

BUT...

This is just a first-step.  I suspect in three years time, you'll see cellular-connected boats getting OTA updates, different themes options, etc.

Neat!

6 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I love that they've integrated Android in the new helm for native app support.  That is so excellent.

BUT...

This is just a first-step.  I suspect in three years time, you'll see cellular-connected boats getting OTA updates, different themes options, etc.

Neat!

This does allow OTA updates from what I understand (when the boat is connected to wifi).  Hope I am understanding that correctly.

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, gahvey said:

This does allow OTA updates from what I understand (when the boat is connected to wifi).  Hope I am understanding that correctly.

That is my understanding as well.

Sounds like I need to try Spotify.  I loaded the Amazon music app and downloaded some songs.  But unfortunately there’s a glitch in the Amazon app and only the first 30 seconds or so of the song play before the Amazon app skips to the next song.  

21 hours ago, AKjoe said:

Sounds like I need to try Spotify.  I loaded the Amazon music app and downloaded some songs.  But unfortunately there’s a glitch in the Amazon app and only the first 30 seconds or so of the song play before the Amazon app skips to the next song.  

YES! I had the same issue. Thought maybe it was just me.

The Spotify app is working great and love having the music downloaded to the boat. The integration is really slick.

8 hours ago, G Spot said:

YES! I had the same issue. Thought maybe it was just me.

The Spotify app is working great and love having the music downloaded to the boat. The integration is really slick.

Agreed.  50GB holds a lot of songs, too!  It’s nice not to have to lock and unlock my phone to change the song, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, ajihad said:

@timmypop Did you have any luck getting the google play store loaded on it. Took delivery of mine recently and would be interested in trying the same

would need to enable developer mode to allow side-loading of APK packages.  Not sure if that sort of menu is exposed on this system.  It's usually accessible by tapping on the version number in the about screen 10x in succession.  Then would need to find a way to mount a thumb drive or something with the APKs as storage, which might require root...  Or, if a browser is installed by Malibu, could use that to download the appropriate APKs.

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

would need to enable developer mode to allow side-loading of APK packages.  Not sure if that sort of menu is exposed on this system.  It's usually accessible by tapping on the version number in the about screen 10x in succession.  Then would need to find a way to mount a thumb drive or something with the APKs as storage, which might require root...  Or, if a browser is installed by Malibu, could use that to download the appropriate APKs.

Sounds like  a recipe for making bricks.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Sounds like  a recipe for making bricks.

Sideloading apks from reputable locations isn't risky if you can avoid having to touch the bootloader 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone successful installed Navionics and/or the Spotify app yet.  I tried for only a short time last night without any success.  Seems kind of stupid of Malibu not to have the play store app loaded by default.  It looks to me the only way you can install are ones available on Amazon App store:(.  I really want to use these apps on the small screen and use my phone as... a phone.

ahopkins22LSV

I was able to install spotify from the amazon app store with no issues. Did it from the driveway connected to my home internet. Only issue I had was remembering my Amazon login...

3 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I was able to install spotify from the amazon app store with no issues. Did it from the driveway connected to my home internet. Only issue I had was remembering my Amazon login...

I didn't try to install spotify but happy to hear you can.  I was trying to install Navionics which is not available on Amazon app store.  I logged into my goggle account via the browser and went to google play, found Navionics app and tried to install but it didn't list a device to install is on.

25 minutes ago, dcarl said:

Has anyone successful installed Navionics and/or the Spotify app yet.  I tried for only a short time last night without any success.  Seems kind of stupid of Malibu not to have the play store app loaded by default.  It looks to me the only way you can install are ones available on Amazon App store:(.  I really want to use these apps on the small screen and use my phone as... a phone.

My guess is that is a Google restriction.. not a Malibu issue.  Play Store is only for devices Google blesses (certifies and follows Google marketing requirements) and promote Google services/marketing. This is the big stick Google uses to pushing their services on consumer devices.  So Malibu's only choice is a more open/non-restricted Android app store.

7 minutes ago, gregtay said:

My guess is that is a Google restriction.. not a Malibu issue.  Play Store is only for devices Google blesses (certifies and follows Google marketing requirements) and promote Google services/marketing. This is the big stick Google uses to pushing their services on consumer devices.  So Malibu's only choice is a more open/non-restricted Android app store.

That makes since.

7 minutes ago, PrestigeLakeWide said:

Sounds like they stuck Amazon Fire tablets in these boats. :vomit: That's definitely cheap of Mailbu.

No... they used an open market Android app store without restrictions in their Android image, that is what you do with an IoT/Vertical solution device like a screen/display in a boat.  If they had used the Play Store they would have been forced to preinstall gmail, G talk, Google search, Chrome, Maps, YouTube, Drive, YT Music, Play Movies, Google Duo, Google Photos, etc. and we would all be complaining that there is a ton of apps we can't install and you would be forced to log in with a Google account (and it would feel like a phone.)  Google is not interested in enabling or supporting these types of devices as they don't drive revenue for them.