Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust manifold gaskets for ETX manifold

I am reinstalling  ETX manifolds after having new casting plugs welded in.  Some say just use rtv but I feel  more comfortable using a gasket. 

The question, can I use any gasket for a gm 5.7 ? From my searches it seems like on the car engine blocks there is a demarcation in 2002 for some reason. I know sometimes marine engines lag behind their car engine counterparts a few years, so not sure it that matters.  Any gear heads out there that can help me out ?

05 response with a 383

non cat etx

@Jay R. - You can use an automotive gasket for your engine.  Make sure you get ones compatible with the Vortec cylinder heads, the exhaust port on different vintage 350's vary.  Fel Pro makes very good gaskets and can be sourced from numerous vendors.  There is a difference in thermal expansion between aluminum and cast iron so choose a good quality gasket that will handle that and re-torque the bolts after a few hours of use.

Note:  check your gasket against the head and manifold to ensure there is no flow blockage prior to final assembly.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Just to follow up if this helps someone else.

The boat is a 2005 Response with a 383 HH, though I think it would be the same for any 5.7 block

when I searched i came up with two different gaskets.  I did not want to have it shipped from skidim or bakes because i was worried about the gaskets getting bent/creased in shipping

anyway,  I ended up using the MS9405 below. picked it up at my local autoparts store for $17

I am not sure why they have the overlapping years,  I assumed the multiple piece gasket ended in 95 because the vortec heads started on the 5.7 in 96.  part of the reason its hard to source parts at the parts store is because even though the 350 engine blocks  continued on for boats, racing, and industrial applications GM was phasing them out of trucks by 98, and was only using them in a few vans thru 2002.

I'm no expert but if I need an oil filter or an exhaust manifold gasket  i refer to a 96 chevy 1500 truck with the 5.7 when acquiring parts from my local auto parts supplier

This is the gasket I used.

Fel-Pro Exhaust Manifold Gaskets MS94054   this is the one piece one   
jegs says the MS94054 is for 1982-2002 5.7L

Fel-Pro Exhaust Manifold Gaskets MS9275B    this is the multi piece one
jegs says the MS9275B is for 1955-95 Small Block Chevy

I should add, Fel pro used to have a marine gasket for the 5.7, and I did find a couple of listings for it, but not on their site, I assumed they have phased it out. They do still make a marine exhaust header gasket,  but for my application i was not sure if it would work with the ext manifold.

Finally, this went back together without problems. the hardest part was cleaning the the old silicone off the surfaces. I know that's the way they did it from the factory and it sounds like lots of people reinstall exhaust manifolds with just the silicone.

I personally did not want to be trying to get the exhaust manifolds lined up and bolts started with wet silicone everywhere, it just sounded like a horror show.  With the gaskets, you have to re torque after 3 heat cycles, no big deal. the other nice thing, due to the felpro design, you can start the two outside bolts and then drop the gasket behind the exhaust manifold making install really easy.

Finally, a big thanks to the forum and to everyone that posted how to's on leaky  ext manifolds. I was able to get these welded up and reinstalled for reasonable $ .

Edited by jayR
12 hours ago, jayR said:

I personally did not want to be trying to get the exhaust manifolds lined up and bolts started with wet silicone everywhere, it just sounded like a horror show. 

It took 3 attempts and a string of vulgarity with mine!  Good info on the gaskets.

1266512901_2016enginepic4.thumb.jpg.53bb305f1499075aafb58e4046528a95.jpg

It is always good to do a port match install visual check to make sure the ports align and the gaskets don't overhang the port.  Also, after running a torque check is recommended particularly if you are running aluminum against cast iron or all aluminum.