Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stripped screw hole in G3 tower

peterbarnhart

Got a new bimini for my new boat and in the process of installing the hardware set I have discovered 3 of the bolt holes are stripped.   Any ideas on how to fix?   

1 hour ago, peterbarnhart said:

Got a new bimini for my new boat and in the process of installing the hardware set I have discovered 3 of the bolt holes are stripped.   Any ideas on how to fix?   

Jb weld.  Drill and tap. 

30 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Jb weld.  Drill and tap. 

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Or JB fill it, wax the heck out of the screws, assembly everything and be done with it. 

I used Time-Serts when i repaired the beadlocks on my Jeep.  Looks like they offer metric and standard inserts in both carbon and stainless.  SUPER easy it install and creates a permanent repair.  A tad pricey to get started because you have to buy the tooling.  But once you install your first one, you'll find yourself looking for other damaged threads so you can fix them too.

http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html

1 hour ago, Texan32 said:

I used Time-Serts when i repaired the beadlocks on my Jeep.  Looks like they offer metric and standard inserts in both carbon and stainless.  SUPER easy it install and creates a permanent repair.  A tad pricey to get started because you have to buy the tooling.  But once you install your first one, you'll find yourself looking for other damaged threads so you can fix them too.

http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html

Those work fine, but I wouldn't want a steel insert in the tower unless they are stainless.  Too prone to corrosion.

Edited by oldjeep
32 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Those work fine, but I wouldn't want a steel insert in the tower unless they are stainless.  Too prone to corrosion.

agreed. 

On the boat, if/when i need them, i will deff use SS inserts.  On the Jeep wheels, i went with the carbon because i ASSume they were higher strength and just slathered the grade 8 bolts with anti-seize.

For anyone that hasn't used Time-Serts, they make heli-coils look like a joke!.  The kit comes with everything you need.  And making an everlasting repair takes about 5 minutes.  SUPER simple and worth every penny.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the responses.   Sorry I have been offline trying to keep my business open.   Crazy times.   I might have enough material to simply retap and throw some loctite on the screws to keep them anchored.   I am not familiar with the JB weld technique.    Could someone explain that further?   Thanks again!

Per their website. KwikWeld™ is a fast setting version of The Original J-B Weld two-part epoxy cold weld system that provides strong, lasting repairs to metal and multiple other surface types. After mixing, it forms a permanent bond and can be shaped, tapped, filed, sanded and drilled after curing. KwikWeld™ has a 1:1 mixing ratio, sets in 6 minutes and is fully cured in 4-6 hours. KwikWeld™ cures to a dark grey color, is rated at a tensile strength of 3127 PSI and will withstand temperatures up to 300ºF. I have used it on numerous items including an old cast iron table lamp leg with great success. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.   The holes werent too boogered up so was able to just retap the holes with a gearworx tap set.   Been a while since I retapped anything so I was nervous and aluminum retaps very easy.

Peter