Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2.7 F-150?

asp13

Curious if anyone here tows with a 2.7 ecoboost F150. I am looking at getting a newer truck and I like the F150s more than any other half ton. It would be my daily driver so 99% city and mountain commuting and then 1-2 big trips with the boat a year. What do you think of the 2.7 and how does it handle your tow duty?

19 minutes ago, asp13 said:

Curious if anyone here tows with a 2.7 ecoboost F150. I am looking at getting a newer truck and I like the F150s more than any other half ton. It would be my daily driver so 99% city and mountain commuting and then 1-2 big trips with the boat a year. What do you think of the 2.7 and how does it handle your tow duty?

Which boat?  For your SSLXI?

my buddy has one and tows a 5-6K travel trailer all over the sierras.  It's not going to win any races, but you'll definitely pass the mid 00s 5.4L triton's up the hills.   Great mileage (for a truck) unloaded.  I'd think it'd be about perfect for a SSLXI.

I have a 2015 2.7 EcoBoost in a 4x4 Crew cab.  We tow our 2017 Malibu 22VLX which has a dry weight of 4300 and weighs 6800 lbs on the trailer with fuel (I have the weigh slip from the scale).  The EcoBoost has always had enough power and hold back for the boat even when we have another 1500 lbs of people and gear for a long lake weekend.  I have to pull over two 7% passes on the way to the lake and the truck will accelerate up the hill any time I ask it to.  My Brother-in-law tows his Sanger V210 Dry weight of 3200 lbs and a total trailer weight of ~5000 lbs with a 2006 F250 Power-stroke Diesel.  He hates that our little 2.7 EcoBoost out accelerates him up the hill every time. 

In my opinion, the 2.7 EcoBoost motor will pull more than the suspension from the half-ton pickup safely handles.  I think that one thing to be mindful of is that our 2.7 had lighter-duty running gear than the 3.5 EcoBoost of the same year.  I do not know if that is still the case.

• Like 3

I have a F150 with the 2.7L.

Cant say enough good things about that little engine.  Great mileage when not towing.

Hook it to the boat (VTX) and there is more than enough power.....hardly know the boat is there until you look at the fuel gauge.

Having said that it pulls way better than my old 5.4 and gets better mileage doing it.

A friend has the same truck with the 3.5 and similar sized boat.  Similar feeling of power but burns slightly less fuel loaded.

• Like 2

I have 19 f150 XL crew cab with 2.7 and have had no issues pulling my 2012 VLX. Plenty of power to pass on freeways and was even getting decent gas mileage ~11mpg. Can't go wrong with either ecoboost motors.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2018 f150 crewcab 4x4 with the 2.7L and tow my Tige Z1 (6,000 lbs on trailer) all over the country (logged 15,000 miles so far).  This engine is amazing!!!  I travel from NM to Idaho every year and have no issues accelerating on mountain passes.  You will not be disappointed!

I had two F-150s with the 3.5L and max tow package. Power is (truly) remarkable, fuel economy, not so much. Max tow includes the heavy duty engine and trans cooling along with the 36 gallon fuel tank, both valuable when towing IMO. That said, if you’re towing in the 5,000 lb range I bet the 2.7L is a champ.

• Like 1