Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Auto Fills

agarabaghi

Trying to figure out an issue where my front bag and center tank seem to continuously fill while running at wakeboard speeds. If I close the T handle at the pumps everything is fine. If i dont, eventually the front bag will overfill and push the seats up, and both the front bag and center tank will vent out the side (usually resulting in a wet boat). 

We put a check valve on the vent lines thinking at first it was just ghost draining but since there is pressure the check valve ends up opening up. 

We put a check valve on the fill line after the pump (by the anti siphon U) but that causes the system to actually not fill unless i prime the pump first (usually un screw the cartridge and letting it over flow then screw it back down). It also eventually opened the valve and the front bag would auto fill. 

I reached out the wakemakers and they said I had to run the hoses up high in the nose. But how high are we talking:

Here is a picture of the ballast lines.... any suggestions? 

wFjygJf.jpg

yea they have been out several times, we keep trying new things. Im looking at wakemakers site about the vented lines and it says to install them as high as possible. That might be the next option. 

My diggined as also found solenoid powered valves.... which i could install and power from the pump lol this would open when pump is turn on and close when pump isnt running haha

Decided the try a 12v solenoid valve on the fill line.

Seems like with all the extra lead we run no mater where we run the fill line and anti siphon vent in the nose or higher up in the dash it still starts to auto fill. 

the idea behind this solution is when the fill pump has power the solenoid will open. When the fill pump is off the solenoid closes. This should mimic closing the t handle manually which fixed our issue. 

I can only get the issue to replicate when we have fill ballast + lead at wakeboard speeds. Doesn’t happen at surf speeds. 

kaCpy7J.jpg

uGl2doL.jpg

i have to close mine on my ‘14 to prevent front sac filling at wakeboard speeds and both front and center to prevent filling while cruising

when installing center plug at home i close both, AND often forget to turn them on while filling but for $49000 i don't worry about it much and the only higher possible is the vent loops and thats not the problem, higher failed to fix my passive emptying either because sac is huge when full and when bow raises for riding or surfing front of mushroom sac is  just as high as raised loops,  i tried a boat plug on thru hulls  like i do in rear with success but the front sac water forced its way out of the syphin valve on top of loop and still drained

i also get passive filling of front sac from shared vent when i leave center on too long after center tank is full 

Edited by granddaddy55

Yup. This is a $19.99 solution to that. Just wire it into the power for the pump. Its an always closed solenoid, so its only open when the pump is running. I would suggest getting 1" version, the 3/4" does slow down the filling a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018WRJYOU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 3 weeks later...

I just received my new 2020 25 LSV and the center tank is also auto-filling at wakeboard speeds without the fill pump running.  It fills fairly quickly but not as fast as when the fill pump is running.  I would guestimate 2% per minute.  This boat has 5.3 hours on it so basically new.  I mentioned it to the dealer and he says that is definitely not correct and they were happy to take a look at it at the 15 hour post-break-in service.  In looking at the system it seems pretty simple and I see no obvious reason why just that tank would be auto-filling.  The bow fill pump is six inches away from the center fill pump and it doesn't auto-fill.  I'm just posting here in case anyone has seen and corrected this in the past?

Another thing that is weird on this boat is it lists to starboard at low speeds for a reason that I cannot figure out.  It is very noticeable in the 10-20 mph range.  I'm not sure if this is in any way related to the auto-fill issue.  It does not list when stopped which indicates to me it is not a loading issue and the boat is empty except my wife and two kids to port and me to starboard plus 75% full fuel tank.  Wedge is stowed and surf gates are both retracted.  If I fill only the rear port ballast tank 50% it gets it pretty close to level.  Again, dealer has been great but we both agreed to delay me bringing it in till the 15 hour service for them to look at it.  Maybe this is normal but on a boat without trim tabs it is annoying that I cannot trim out the riding angle of the boat.  Any thoughts?

46 minutes ago, Jeepman said:

I just received my new 2020 25 LSV and the center tank is also auto-filling at wakeboard speeds without the fill pump running.  It fills fairly quickly but not as fast as when the fill pump is running.  I would guestimate 2% per minute.  This boat has 5.3 hours on it so basically new.  I mentioned it to the dealer and he says that is definitely not correct and they were happy to take a look at it at the 15 hour post-break-in service.  In looking at the system it seems pretty simple and I see no obvious reason why just that tank would be auto-filling.  The bow fill pump is six inches away from the center fill pump and it doesn't auto-fill.  I'm just posting here in case anyone has seen and corrected this in the past?

Another thing that is weird on this boat is it lists to starboard at low speeds for a reason that I cannot figure out.  It is very noticeable in the 10-20 mph range.  I'm not sure if this is in any way related to the auto-fill issue.  It does not list when stopped which indicates to me it is not a loading issue and the boat is empty except my wife and two kids to port and me to starboard plus 75% full fuel tank.  Wedge is stowed and surf gates are both retracted.  If I fill only the rear port ballast tank 50% it gets it pretty close to level.  Again, dealer has been great but we both agreed to delay me bringing it in till the 15 hour service for them to look at it.  Maybe this is normal but on a boat without trim tabs it is annoying that I cannot trim out the riding angle of the boat.  Any thoughts?

There was a thread last year about new 25s listing (but I thought it was to the port side)... Can't remember what the outcome was or if it was just related to the bigger prop.  Can't find the thread but maybe someone else will remember.

if you close the T handle on the pump, does it not auto fill? These are aerator pumps so unlike the impeller ones if the push is great and the distance short enough for the head or pressure it could start filling. Easy check is close the T handle if it doesnt fill then you have my issue. They will more than likely try and re route the hose higher up in the compartment infont of the steering wheel. This did not work for us so i installed those solenoid valves powering them off the pump.

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2020 at 5:03 PM, Jeepman said:

Our 2020 A22 does the same thing - lists to the starboard side. We were told this is due to the move of the batteries to the bow (from the starboard side) and rotation of the prop. The suggested correction was to add some weight to the port side.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 3:03 PM, LitiGator said:

Our 2020 A22 does the same thing - lists to the starboard side. We were told this is due to the move of the batteries to the bow (from the starboard side) and rotation of the prop. The suggested correction was to add some weight to the port side.

I don't have any answer for the auto filling ballast.  I kinda wish my bow sac would auto fill at surf speed!

My 2020 A24 lists to starboard too.  Could be because there isn't enough to balance out my 235 lbs ;)

Edited by gtoddh
wanted to answer the OP
  • 2 years later...
On 3/13/2020 at 8:12 AM, granddaddy55 said:

i have to close mine on my ‘14 to prevent front sac filling at wakeboard speeds and both front and center to prevent filling while cruising

when installing center plug at home i close both, AND often forget to turn them on while filling but for $49000 i don't worry about it much and the only higher possible is the vent loops and thats not the problem, higher failed to fix my passive emptying either because sac is huge when full and when bow raises for riding or surfing front of mushroom sac is  just as high as raised loops,  i tried a boat plug on thru hulls  like i do in rear with success but the front sac water forced its way out of the syphin valve on top of loop and still drained

i also get passive filling of front sac from shared vent when i leave center on too long after center tank is full 

Hi, I have ‘14.  Front tank is full but doesn’t drain.  Is that a similar issue or maybe a back pump?

On 7/3/2022 at 5:32 PM, JRH said:

Hi, I have ‘14.  Front tank is full but doesn’t drain.  Is that a similar issue or maybe a back pump?

your front is a sac,  your drain pump for it is hanging loose connected to front sac drain hose,  do you hear it running when you hit drain? you might have a breaker pipped but if it is popped and pump is  running or not feel for loose pump, find retaining screw on blue cap, remove screw with short screw driver or ratchet with screw driver attachment snd then unscrew blue cap snd pull cartridge snd inspect, clean and lubricate , clean exit to housing of cartridge,  maybe even blow air from drain thru hull to make sure hose not blocked, reset breaker or fuse (not sure which) snd see if cartridge now runs,  if not order new cartridge,  800 snd 1100gph cartridge are the same cartridge when ordering,  tou can probably fix it permanently or temporarily and order a spare