Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Monsoon Engine Removal

Hello everyone, 

I am rebuilding my 2004 VLX 21ft boat and have removed the engine, tranny, and V-drive.  I was wondering is there anything I should look at replacing while I have all these components out of the boat?  I'm thinking I should replace all the pumps in the boat while I am at it, however, I am trying to find a service manual for these parts and have had no luck.  Does anyone know where I can find a service manual or know of a website where I can obtain these pumps for my boat?  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I only want to rebuild this boat once and I would like to do it right the first time.

Thank you for any and all your advice!!

https://www.bakesonline.com/shurflo-piranha-800-gph-ballast-pump.html

Attached is a link showing the type of OEM ballast pumps in our 2004 VLX. Are you looking to replace the bilge pump and blower as well? If so, those items are also readily available. This would also be a great time to replace all of your rubber fuel lines. If you still have the original hard tanks for ballast you may want to remove those and replace them with bags.

1 hour ago, Tractorkid1 said:

Hello everyone, 

I am rebuilding my 2004 VLX 21ft boat and have removed the engine, tranny, and V-drive.  I was wondering is there anything I should look at replacing while I have all these components out of the boat?  I'm thinking I should replace all the pumps in the boat while I am at it, however, I am trying to find a service manual for these parts and have had no luck.  Does anyone know where I can find a service manual or know of a website where I can obtain these pumps for my boat?  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I only want to rebuild this boat once and I would like to do it right the first time.

Thank you for any and all your advice!!

This would be a good time to replace the fuel lines and exhaust hoses

On 3/6/2020 at 6:11 PM, Chaabo said:

Damper plate definitely.

If you do the damper plate.  Make sure to replace the bell housing too.  

On 3/6/2020 at 1:34 PM, Tractorkid1 said:

I was wondering is there anything I should look at replacing while I have all these components out of the boat? 

Might be obvious but I'd definitely do the following as preventive maintenance/upgrade since it will be so much easier without engine and v-drive in the way:

• Shaft packing
  • Rudder seal/packing
  • Rudder cable (if necessary)
  • Shaft log tighten hardware with loc-tite
  • Install remote oil filter kit prior to engine install

When you say pumps in the boat do you mean ballast pumps?

12 hours ago, formulaben said:

Might be obvious but I'd definitely do the following as preventive maintenance/upgrade since it will be so much easier without engine and v-drive in the way:

• Shaft packing
  • Rudder seal/packing

All good recommendations. I did all of these except the remote filter over the years on my '96 Sunsetter, and I agree now is the perfect opportunity to take care of everything with the drive train out of the way. I'd also look at replacing the raw water hoses, replace the shaft log itself, the cutlass bearings, and the bilge pump.

Wonderful! Thank you all for the information! Definitely all wonderful ideas.  I will work on replacing every part mentioned and let you know if I run into any issues.  If anyone thinks of an additional part that needs replaced please let me know as I plan to complete this project in the next month or so.  

Become a supporting member so that you can take advantage of the discounts at some of the vendors.  

Supporting members also can post pictures directly to the site and we all want to see pics of the boat and your progress.  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 9:44 PM, formulaben said:

• Shaft packing
  • Rudder seal/packing

Getting ready to install engine this weekend. And have completed everything on the list except the remote oil filter kit. Do you know where I can find a kit for a 2004 monsoon engine? 

9 minutes ago, Tractorkid1 said:

Getting ready to install engine this weekend. And have completed everything on the list except the remote oil filter kit. Do you know where I can find a kit for a 2004 monsoon engine? 

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-remote-oil-filter-kit-v-8-5-7l-350.html  But I would look elsewhere as IMO that price is insane.