Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Surf boat- 2020 A22

BigRed

36 minutes ago, formerathlete said:

You could try calling Vasa Park on Sammamish to see if they'd let you launch there. I have launched there one time in about 20 years but we were also using their park for a graduation party and paid for that. I'm not sure they'd be supportive of letting anyone launch there now given the stay at home order :(. I've heard some people are using the launch at Newport Shores in Bellevue. Might be worth trying. 

We are dying to get back on the water, too, especially with these nice days we're having right now. How bad of a look is it to be heading out on the water (albeit with just our family) during the stay at home order? We want to get out there badly but I don't want to be 'that guy'. Seems like there's no better example of social distancing than being on the water but I'm sure people without a boat would disagree. Not sure we can make it to May 4th (hopefully they don't extend it).

I heard VASA is open but I have always found launching there a little weird (meaning I clearly don't understand the process they want you to follow as I have gotten yelled at a few times... but that was a long time ago, maybe things have changed.)

The Kirkland launch for Lk WA might also be useable... and I would think the Kenmore launch (the dirt one) would also still work (not the easiest to use.) 

We actually use Kenmore a few times a year. They recently renovated it and it's all pavement now. Still no dock but much nicer than it used to be. Unfortunately, it's closed through May 4.

I’ve got friends that have been out at new port. Not sure if the launch is open or if they’ve just kept their boat on the lift. Might be worth a look. 

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 3/8/2020 at 9:49 AM, formerathlete said:

I’m not even convinced it’s a 48 gallon tank. It was marketed as 48 on the 2019 A22 but I have a 42 in mine. And it’s rated as 42 on CARB website for 2019 A22. Despite T22 getting 48. Really bizarre. So maybe they finally changed it in 2020 to align with how it’s been marketed. Hopefully.  

I stand corrected on my stance here that the 2019 A22's have a 42 gallon fuel tank. CARB website is apparently incorrect (at least for my boat). I pulled the transmission cover to check the tranny fluid today and the fuel tank badge lists that it's indeed a 48 gallon tank. I wish it was more but it's better than the 42 gallon that I thought it was based on what CARB says. Now, if only CARB was wrong and marketing literature was right about those "409" HP/Torque numbers.

Edited by formerathlete
4 hours ago, formerathlete said:

I stand corrected on my stance here that the 2019 A22's have a 42 gallon fuel tank. CARB website is apparently incorrect (at least for my boat). I pulled the transmission cover to check the tranny fluid today and the fuel tank badge lists that it's indeed a 48 gallon tank. I wish it was more but it's better than the 42 gallon than I thought it was based on what CARB says. Now, if only CARB was wrong and marketing literature was right about those "409" HP/Torque numbers.

I am going to have to check mine tomorrow. I have gone back to the dock on the low fuel light, and the dang boat only takes 32-36 gallons at the pump. Super frustrating. If I'm wakeboarding non-stop with the boat slammed, I basically get 4 hours out of it then back to the dock for gas.

I hear you. I thought for sure ours was a 42 gallon tank (+/- 10%), based on how little it takes at the pump when the gauge is reading low. CARB website only reinforced that by listing the 2019 A22 as a 42 gallon tank. So I was very surprised to see the 48 gallon badge. I’ll be curious to hear if yours is also a 48. I bet it is.

Edited by formerathlete
8 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

I am going to have to check mine tomorrow. I have gone back to the dock on the low fuel light, and the dang boat only takes 32-36 gallons at the pump. Super frustrating. If I'm wakeboarding non-stop with the boat slammed, I basically get 4 hours out of it then back to the dock for gas.

I feel your pain!

you should have the 42 gallon tank! :rant:   my dock is literally 1 cove from the gas dock and I still find it annoying!   pretty much keep 2 gas cans in my truck and fillup everytime everytime I run out and keep it topped off. I road it to 0 bars last week and was only able to put 33 gallons in.  i can't imagine how irritated I would be if I trailered to the lake and didn't keep it on a lift

( I would probably keep my boat another 5 years if it wasn't for this issue, as I love everything else)  maybe they made them small for a reason ???( get everyone to upsize after a few years lol) 

32 minutes ago, smuurph84 said:

I feel your pain!

you should have the 42 gallon tank! :rant:   my dock is literally 1 cove from the gas dock and I still find it annoying!   pretty much keep 2 gas cans in my truck and fillup everytime everytime I run out and keep it topped off. I road it to 0 bars last week and was only able to put 33 gallons in.  i can't imagine how irritated I would be if I trailered to the lake and didn't keep it on a lift

( I would probably keep my boat another 5 years if it wasn't for this issue, as I love everything else)  maybe they made them small for a reason ???( get everyone to upsize after a few years lol) 

7 hours ago, formerathlete said:

I hear you. I thought for sure ours was a 42 gallon tank (+/- 10%), based on how little it takes at the pump when the gauge is reading low. CARB website only reinforced that by listing the 2019 A22 as a 42 gallon tank. So I was very surprised to see the 48 gallon badge. I’ll be curious to hear if yours is also a 48. I bet it is.

Sure enough, checked the badge on the tank, 48 Gallons.

Time for an experiment. I'm going to throw a 5 gallon gas tank in my boat this weekend and find how far I can go past the low fuel light.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, boardjnky4 said:

Sure enough, checked the badge on the tank, 48 Gallons.

Time for an experiment. I'm going to throw a 5 gallon gas tank in my boat this weekend and find how far I can go past the low fuel light.

why bother,  my 44 gallon a20 tank also puts in 33-34 at zero bar on gauge, drove around for hours after i hit empty snd could never run out of my 9 -10 gallon reserve, 

you have at least 1 hour of constant surfing or 2+++ hours of driving around with your 15  gallon reserve, have fun with no running out if gas worries, i was supposed to have the 48 but badge said 44  

a guy on here with a big boat posted he had a 1+ hour ride home on empty before he attempted it, we all told him to go for  it based on this same discussion, made it no problem

our gas guzzling malibu’s are far more efficient than their reputations

i heavily list to surf and can probably surf listed for two hours empty at my 4.5 gallon average with my 10 gallon reserve

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...